PDA

View Full Version : Many IDX listings (940) and listing_browse crawls

the_sandking
09-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Some observations from a loaded OR..

I've managed to get a simple import of IDX data into the v1.13 OR database. Our local MLS has 940 residential listings, and the import takes about 1-2 minutes to complete (including 2 FTP file transfers). I strip out a little more than 1/2 of the IDX fields for each listing, and retain 49 data fields for each listing. (listingsDBElements gets real big with almost 50000 records) I have not even begun to deal with commerial listings, vacant land, etc...

The listingsearch page when using 1 MIN/MAX for 'price' was taking about 20 seconds to load. I worked on this function a little, and got it down to about 2 seconds. I basically created an array for all the prices, and got the $min and $max values squared away inside the "if ($field_type == 'price')" *before* the "if ($price == True)" part. This seems to have saved a lot of time for 'price' MIN/MAX, but does not address other possible MIN/MAX fields.

listing_browse.php on the other hand, is really slow, and can take 20+ seconds to load without any parameters, i.e.

http://www.domainname.com/listing_browse.php

When loading this page with variables from the listingsearch search, it only increases the load time by about a second.

Don't even think about hitting the <back> button on your browser when you are looking at a single listing's detail, because listing_browse has to load all over again.

Anyway, I think that if you are wanting to make OR scalable, and/or want to be able to load data from IDX, you will need to look at refining listing_browse.php. If not that, you will need to change the schema to use DB columns instead of sticking all the listing data into 'field_name' and 'field_value' columns.

Otherwise, everything works as normal. I had to make MAJOR changes to things like listings_edit so that the admin can actually find properties they need to work with. When you see things like "This is page 1 of 94" it gets a little discouraging.

Anonymous
11-06-2003, 05:52 PM
Please let me share on how you were able to import the idx data? hopea@nc.rr.com!!!