PDA

View Full Version : Search-Engine Friendly URLS

max
09-15-2003, 12:46 PM
I thought I saw this somewhere in the Show Off sections, where a site was using Search-Engine Friendly URLS on their site. Also makes things a little easier to remember.

I did a little research and found this article recommended, which I thought I'd share with you: http://www.sitepoint.com/print/485

Has anyone done this? Does it really work, or is it even worth doing?

the_sandking
09-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Yup, but the drawback to these methods is that the solutions presented there do not apply very well to most DB driven sites. It really depends on what you are displaying. If you made a directory on your web server for every listing, I suppose that could work. There are "stealth" products out there that sniff to see if the incoming requester is a search-engine bot, and if so, the stealth script sends Google (or whoever) only pages that YOU have pre-determined and are loaded with all the search-friendly stuff ya' want. Think about it for a minuite and you'll soon see how powerful that can be... It's kinda' like salting a mine, but it works. They'll catch on eventually..

Having once worked for Yahoo, I can tell you that there is all kinds of development going on at all the major Search Engines to alleviate this problem regarding spidering dynamic sites.

Besides, the best way to get into Google these days is to pay them... :cry:

Anonymous
02-02-2004, 06:00 PM
It's a simple matter, really.

Just mod the script to write the links differently (keep everything in your root directory, use keywords separated by -'s, end with a .html)

like:
http://yourdomain.com/anytown_anystate_realty_[topic id number].html

then create some rules for mod_rewrite in a .htaccess file where you grab links matching this pattern and rewrite them to the scripts. You must make all your image and other link references in your scripts absolute, and it will work fine.

And have no fear. the SE's will NOT catch on. it is impossible for them to. They are regular links, no redirects, no spoofing. It is impossible to tell the difference. 100% guaranteed. I've done this with a phpBB2 forum (like this one) and got over 22,000 pages indexed by Google.

ltp
02-04-2004, 05:39 PM
And have no fear. the SE's will NOT catch on. it is impossible for them to. They are regular links, no redirects, no spoofing. It is impossible to tell the difference. 100% guaranteed. I've done this with a phpBB2 forum (like this one) and got over 22,000 pages indexed by Google.

Actually, you are wrong. SE's do catch on if you are not smart about it. They can crawl dynamic pages but most of the time will never index them. How do the SE's catch on? Well maybe they see a dynamic link or find it from somewhere else. Now all of a sudden those 22,000 pages are showing up twice.

In your opinion what would a search engine think about that? Hmmm 2 pages different names. The best way to use mod_rewrite is to 404 anything that has a rewritten url when accessed dynamically.

Mike