PDA

View Full Version : How do we make this Open Source approach work?

Denver Dave
12-20-2002, 02:56 PM
How do we make the open source approach work for the supporters and be able to continue.

(1) The greengiant is making quite a time investment in this web site.
(2) Various webmasters have an interest in applying this software to client situations.
(3) A few people may be interested in helping other webmasters with installations and modifications for a fee.
(4) Some people will be willing to help they knew how to best contribute.

Somehow we have to make this work for a number of people or people like the greengiant will eventually find other areas to occupy their interest.

Just wanted to start a discussion, but this is important - we all have our own vested interests.

wolfman95
12-20-2002, 10:25 PM
To make this work, we need to attract developers that are versed in or willing to learn php and have a vested interest in this program. The vitality of open source programs is usually directly related to the personal/professional needs/interests of qualified developers. phpGroupware, for instance, is a very successful project because lots of the developers involved in the project are network/system admins responsible for mail/groupware services for their employers. Finding programmers who are network administrators is not really hard. Our task is a bit more difficult. IMHO, we need to find developers that are:

(1) Real estate agents/brokers,
(2) IT staffers for large independent agencies (not Century 21, etc. as they have their own web systems),
(3) Small to medium web hosting companies that could court independent real estate agencies as clients, offering Open-Realty as a fee-based service,
(4) Website designers that develop sites for independent real estate agencies that could use Open-Realty as a selling point,
(5) CompSci college students with nothing better to do, or
(6) Techies with no life (like me) who enjoy the challenge and see the potential of a system like this.

No offense to the agents/brokers out there, but the vast majority don't have programming skills or the desire or time to learn. Most independent agencies don't have a full-time IT staff. Most small to medium web hosting companies can't court enough real estate agencies to make the time investment on developing this project financially worthwhile. Same goes for the designers. That narrows the field considerably.

In other words, we'll hopefully pick up a few people along the way that have a unique pairing of talents and desire that lead them to be vested in this project. If we don't, the likelihood is that the project won't continue to evolve or greengiant will go mad (actually, if you get to know him, he already is a bit over the edge :lol: ).

The short answer is that we need to recruit (which greengiant and I are trying hard to do right now).

Anyway, apparently I need more human interaction, because no post should be this long. :wink:

Just my 0.50.

greengiant
12-21-2002, 12:02 AM
Hey,

I think as wolfman95 pointed out that this project needs some more developers. But I also know that I/we need to get some more things done to help attract that. Like get 1.0.1 out the door early next month. We need to come up with a project road map and get that online. We need code guidelines. I need to get either CVS access setup, or development snapshots on the site, and i need people willing to test the development snapshots on there servers and give lots of feed back. I plan spending as much time as i can on this project over the next two weeks while i am on break in an attempt to get a lot of these things started. I have an install to do of open-realty for one person and that is going to get top priority over the next couple of days. After that getting a project road map started and working on the next release are going to be my focus. Anyone who can contribute to development please contact me or look for more information over the next week or so.

Anyways this is where my focus is right now and what i think the project needs right now..

BigM
09-02-2003, 11:18 AM
Any word on that CVS access? It would make life easier for people who just want to grab the latest diff or submit a patch for their latest bugfix.

greengiant
09-02-2003, 11:41 AM
I am not using cvs, I am using sourcejammer. I am currently moving all my sites including open-realty to a new much more powerfull server. This should be done in the next 48-72 hours... Once that is done, i will work on gettin gpublic access to the sourcejammer archives online.. I am also working with the head developer of sourcejammer on making the web interface to the sourcejammer archive a little more usefull so i can also make that avaliable.

MjrGaelic
09-29-2003, 08:43 PM
I fall into the category of WebHost/Designer who will be using this project for clients.

I think those of us that are out there making money off of this project should kick a little back into it.. Would it kill us to send Ryan $10.00 for every site we put up using this?

Also, I work from the aesthetic side (while I'm not that great or anything) I would like to help out there if needed..

As a webhost, I have a pretty solid connection, and would be happy to Software Mirror or anything like that if needed.

I'd be elated to be a part of the future of this project, if for no reason other then to see my offerings increase to my clients ! =)

Best regards,

Ryan

gwmbox
09-30-2003, 05:03 AM
I think those of us that are out there making money off of this project should kick a little back into it.. Would it kill us to send Ryan $10.00 for every site we put up using this?

I think thats a good idea, count me in, any site I design for a client that needs OR,. I'll gladly send $10 to Ryan - count me in - anything to help in the continued development.

As for what I can do well I'm still learning OR and its quirks :), but hey I am only too happy to help out where I can and will therefore keep my eye on the forums and help where I can - every little bit helps I guess :)

Greg

thynking
04-14-2004, 02:25 PM
To make this work, we need to attract developers that are versed in or willing to learn php and have a vested interest in this program. The vitality of open source programs is usually directly related to the personal/professional needs/interests of qualified developers. phpGroupware, for instance, is a very successful project because lots of the developers involved in the project are network/system admins responsible for mail/groupware services for their employers. Finding programmers who are network administrators is not really hard. Our task is a bit more difficult. IMHO, we need to find developers that are:

(1) Real estate agents/brokers,
(2) IT staffers for large independent agencies (not Century 21, etc. as they have their own web systems),
(3) Small to medium web hosting companies that could court independent real estate agencies as clients, offering Open-Realty as a fee-based service,
(4) Website designers that develop sites for independent real estate agencies that could use Open-Realty as a selling point,
(5) CompSci college students with nothing better to do, or
(6) Techies with no life (like me) who enjoy the challenge and see the potential of a system like this.

In other words, we'll hopefully pick up a few people along the way that have a unique pairing of talents and desire that lead them to be vested in this project. If we don't, the likelihood is that the project won't continue to evolve or greengiant will go mad (actually, if you get to know him, he already is a bit over the edge :lol: ).

The short answer is that we need to recruit (which greengiant and I are trying hard to do right now).

Anyway, apparently I need more human interaction, because no post should be this long. :wink:

Just my 0.50.

I meet numbers 2,3,4, and 6, and would love to participate. I am fluent in HTML, and am learning everything else as I go. I have been using a lot of PHP as of late but do not program PHP at this point. I am VERY interested in learning PHP however.

I do seem to have a talent for reverse engineering everything, which is how I teach myself just about everything. At this point, I have succeeded in setting up your board, and modifying it to suit ( http://www.trube.ws/homes ) for the website that I run for my parents. who are a broker and a realtor for Re/Max I will soon be setting up the same for their local Re/Max office.

I have also re-worked this form a bit to work for new or used auto sales. I set up an example at http://www.ctntech.com/example/auto

I host domains through a linux server, and would like to help if I can.

repustech
04-14-2004, 05:43 PM
I am a website designer (wanna-be developer) and I also offer website hosting. I have quite a few potential real estate customers because I use to work for a real estate broker and know most of the agents in my area.

I am currently implementing Open-Realty for one of my previous real estate website customers.

I would love to be a part of the project, but I don't know enough PHP to contribute MODS. I am learning as fast as I can and Open-Realty is helping the learning process.

I am planning on posting a template or two and would love to custom design a template for anyone who is interested.

I also think it's a great idea to kick back some of your earnings to Ryan & this project. I plan on donating as soon as I'm paid by my customer.

Take care,

sa278
04-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Hi 8)
Good that Denver Dave had started this thread.
Hope with this support and encouragement. Green Giant and Realty One will be more charged up to pursue Ultimate Goal.
For every site that I do for a client, I will donate certain amount to OPen-Realty. Plus any membership subscription, this too I will donate certain amount. By the way I have yet to roll out my Car for sale. Will be strictly subscription base. Thanks to awe for great template sampling.

Me, I'm a self learned webmaster, a Full time Broker with Coldwellbanker Singapore. Trying to find time and $$ to atend class for php.
Another way to support this project is to purchase hosting from Green Giant. Not the low low price but reasonably priced, consider the support you'll get for ORs. The price is worth it. Signs :cry: I have problem transferring out my domain from Joker.com, kind of hinder me from purchase of new hosting plan.

gcluk
04-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Well, I will certainly be donating as soon as I have finished upgrading my client to OR.
It is an excellent piece of software.
I am tailoring it for a UK client, so the 'english' language file will have to be changed (Favorite = Favourite !) :roll:

Hope to make the template generic too and upload it when I'm done - even though it's pretty poor compared to some of the ones I have seen SOMEBODY might like it !

Riomacho
05-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Another way to give back to the project is to ask your client to donate.
:D
Clearly explain to your client that you are using an Open Source software to develop their site. Comparable software sold commercially runs from $200 to $500 or more. My realtors were using an office/listing management system that ran $1500 per branch office. This software had more features as to accounting and scheduling, but the listing inventory didn't have much of an edge and the website generated was definitely not equal.

Ask your client(s) to donate $50 or $100 or $200 via PayPal. They will feel good and they will be helping the development of upgrades mods. In any case, they will be saving a lot in design fees by being able to post their own listings online.

I also agree with putting your own money for every project you implement with OR, in addition to asking the client to donate.