PDA

View Full Version : Sanity under Load

kathikatzi
10-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Hi!

question - how does open realty perform under load?
been puttering around quite a bit in listing_browse.php (almost got multiple product types with individual attributes working, just doing the final finish), keep getting cold shivers running down my back at the thought of one (1) temp table being regenerated by each user browsing listings! are youall assuming that all this goes fast enough that this table will not be overwritten by a concurrent user? does this assumption hold?
just curious, mean i'd instinctivly do a session specific table!

otherwise congratulations to all involved, great work, been having fun hacking about and learning php in the process!

:)

kathi

the_sandking
10-22-2003, 04:19 PM
keep getting cold shivers running down my back at the thought of one (1) temp table being regenerated by each user browsing listings! are youall assuming that all this goes fast enough that this table will not be overwritten by a concurrent user? does this assumption hold?

Yes, this has bothered me for awhile too. I guess the original idea was to gamble that you would not have 4+ requests for listing_browse at the same time. I believe that the temp DB thing was done to work-around things that earlier versions of MySQL could not do (No CAST function for example). From a scalability/performance standpoint, listing_browse is probably the "Achilles heel" of OR.