PDA

View Full Version : Which Mods Would You Like In 2.0

RealtyOne
01-15-2004, 07:47 AM
So many people use mods in their sites so how about a little feedback.
In order for 2.0 to be the best it can be let us know what mods you would like to see added to the source package.

Your input as users of the scripts is invaluable to the developers

RealtyOne
01-15-2004, 11:59 PM
ok 30 views and no comments.

So i begin with my suggestions but remember i am a designer not an agent so i have no idea what is needed and just wanted.

Site statistics by TheSandKing
This is a well written module that neatly tracks everthing you need to know within the realm of an average person. It could do with some sort of cleant out method that does not destroy the visit count but thats minor. I recomend this as a must have addition.

improved next_prev by TheSandKing
While not making alot of difference to the workability of a site this adds a much improved graphical look to pages that become rather bland. If you look at it from a designers view then you must use this simply for the appearence. For the visitor it makes surfing large sites so much easier.

Glossary by RealtyOne
New & Unreleased code TO BE INCLUDED

Multi Calc by RealtyOne
New & Improved code INCLUDED

Member Links by RealtyOne
Another simple but effective appearance module This does nothing great in effect to the working site but the hidden buttons or hidden logon box are better to look at that haveing them all.

Appointment by RealtyOne
This would be a great addition with some work to add functionality to the module overall. As it is no big deal but with some work includeing an admin area for agents to adjust the appointments to suit a big plus. Maybe for future versions :)

stracken
01-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Good idea realtyone!
As I tried to scratch in the post http://www.open-realty.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1944&highlight= , I think that a mod that would allow agents to manage their contacts, upload a few files and manage small projects ( for proficient users) would make sense.

Other thing that I miss is a mod that would allow me to add some usefull content and links to OR, similar to a resources page. (smells like a small cms?? :wink: ) Agents could use this mod to add links and small paragraphs about the areas they serve. Currently, I am still fideling with postnuke to achieve these features.

The big dogs are already offering more advanced features, such as costumized mailing lists, Costumer Market Analysis and so forth, but those features can also be used by members through some MLSs.

Anybody thinks that this topic would justify a poll???

RealtyOne
01-16-2004, 04:15 AM
Please check the development site for 2.0 the next major version has built in editing creation of pages :)

marb
01-16-2004, 09:09 AM
I think multiple listing types (propertys/autos) should be nice and usefull.

Marten :)

ltp
01-16-2004, 07:23 PM
here we go you ready for this? Most of these dont exist at the moment but i think we can build them :)

Client Admin Area - This would manage there contacts for instance much like an address book of clients, but also act like a forum for the clients to ask questions and the agent or broker to respond. An extension of this could be a mailing list area.
Mailing list area - Create mailing lists, mail out there properties to a set mailing list groups. Would contain groups, etc. Should also have unsubscribe, subscribe capabilities
Link Directories - Enable the agent to have link pages. Not just a regular links page but like a directory with multiple categories, categories of categories, etc
Buyers/Sellers Tips - A predefined area for buyers and sellers tips. Also agent could add on more buyers or sellers tips or choose to hide them
Multiple brokers/agent pages - Redevelop it as to beable to manage multiple sites on the system. People signup pick a plan pick there template the user is on there way.
Appointment/Calendar - Let them have a calendar that lets them specify events, appointments, and email notifications when it is upcoming.

**edit: fixed by bbcode :)

the_sandking
01-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Mailing list area - Create mailing lists, mail out there properties to a set mailing list groups. Would contain groups, etc. Should also have unsubscribe, subscribe capabilities

If you do this one, it should be able to send definable "time delayed" unique messages to registered members..

i.e.

A member signs up and immediately gets a "Welcome" email

2 days later, all 2 day-old member(s) get a "Buying and selling tips" email

10 days later, all 10 day-old member(s) get a "Our office is there for you" email

etc...

etc...

the above are just examples..

Email marketing and keeping in touch with potential clients is becoming a big deal for Agents. As I keep chanting to all who will listen, Agents need to have something in the OR backend that is USEFUL that keeps them coming back to the /admin area to keep their stuff up to date, "working" their site on a regular basis...

stracken
01-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Fully agree with sandking.

Some agents in the office where I work, even though they are not very proficient with computers, complain about the websites they currently have because they provide almost no options to manage their prospective clients. (is this good inglish :cry: ?)

ltp
01-16-2004, 11:12 PM
If you do this one, it should be able to send definable "time delayed" unique messages to registered members..

i.e.

10 days later, all 10 day-old member(s) get a "Our office is there for you" email

etc...

etc...

the only problem i would see with that is what if no one was coming to there page on a routine basis? there would have to be a cron job or a scheduled task from windows setup to hit the page. Otherwise it would have to checkup per hit on the page.

the_sandking
01-17-2004, 03:10 AM

i.e.

etc...

etc...

the only problem i would see with that is what if no one was coming to there page on a routine basis? there would have to be a cron job or a scheduled task from windows setup to hit the page. Otherwise it would have to checkup per hit on the page.

Yup, CRON would be the best way to do this, but there's that problem of "end user installation" to consider...

Then there's the possibility writing a "timer" daemon, but then you exclude people hosting on the M$ platform...

This is really the only difficult part of this concept, but, what a whopper..

the_sandking
01-19-2004, 09:56 AM
the only problem i would see with that is what if no one was coming to there page on a routine basis?.

After thinking about this more, the above does not really matter, as long as the mail goes out eventually, late does not matter.. Also, if the Agents are not regularly logging-in to their own sites (thus "hitting" their pages) to check on things and "work" their online material, they should not be using OR.. Agents who "work" their sites should have at least 1 visitor per day. Also, if they aren't getting at least 1 visitor per day, it is doubtful that they have any mail to send out either...

Something that triggers off of index.php will do it.. i

FoxyWeb
01-20-2004, 04:44 AM
Bookings for Summer/Winter Lets

One of the biggest markets on the Internet is holiday home rentals [and also boat charter].

It is difficult to control - very time consuming - and yet all it is is that someone sees a holiday home looks at the sleeping, the price and then the availability.

One of the biggest problems is that the availability is very difficult to keep up to date, when in reality it should be quite simple, in that the sequence of events is as follows:

Potential client looks at availability
Available? Yes?
Client puts a holding reservation [flags up Pending/On Hold] on the property/boat for a predetermined time [set by the agent] giving them time to organise [usually amongst friends/family]:
Payment [eg by Paypal] which flags up a Sold sign on the period taken [normally Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun but could be otherwise]
After which directions are sent etc.

If the Pending is not taken the availability reverts back to available [but the Agent could overide/extend the individuals time]

Now that would mean that the Agent has a virtually automatic system.

There are some other bits that need to be met eg a predetermined form that advises the Agent of [in some cases] names of the party, ages, animals?, arrival times, linen and cost of linen sometimes prepaid sometimes on arrival, a terms and conditions and a Deposit guarantee for Breakage etc. You may need an extra email address here for advising the on site management company when final booking is made.

Hows that? :shock:

Ha!! :D

awddesign
01-20-2004, 08:51 PM
Bookings for Summer/Winter Lets

One of the biggest markets on the Internet is holiday home rentals [and also boat charter].

It is difficult to control - very time consuming - and yet all it is is that someone sees a holiday home looks at the sleeping, the price and then the availability.

One of the biggest problems is that the availability is very difficult to keep up to date, when in reality it should be quite simple, in that the sequence of events is as follows:

Potential client looks at availability
Available? Yes?
Client puts a holding reservation [flags up Pending/On Hold] on the property/boat for a predetermined time [set by the agent] giving them time to organise [usually amongst friends/family]:
Payment [eg by Paypal] which flags up a Sold sign on the period taken [normally Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun but could be otherwise]
After which directions are sent etc.

If the Pending is not taken the availability reverts back to available [but the Agent could overide/extend the individuals time]

Now that would mean that the Agent has a virtually automatic system.

There are some other bits that need to be met eg a predetermined form that advises the Agent of [in some cases] names of the party, ages, animals?, arrival times, linen and cost of linen sometimes prepaid sometimes on arrival, a terms and conditions and a Deposit guarantee for Breakage etc. You may need an extra email address here for advising the on site management company when final booking is made.

Hows that? :shock:

Ha!! :D

I am still working on it :)

Al

FoxyWeb
01-21-2004, 09:56 AM
:D

No pressure Albert just thought I would put it into the melting pot for all to consider

:roll:

Anonymous
02-09-2004, 10:15 PM
A mini 1003 add on would be great, a full blown 1003 would be better. Has anyone written any loan app mods?

Anonymous
02-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Be able to add virtual tours.

Anonymous
02-13-2004, 05:17 PM
The language file should be complete, now there is still (some) translation work to do in style.php. That isn't so handy.
thanks

Anonymous
02-19-2004, 12:49 AM
Not being a programmer, I find this script getting to be too difficult for non-programmers to comprehend. I have gone back to basics and am pleased with how easy openautoclassifieds went up on my site. I am still trying to figure out how to set up some desired features, but it was fairly simple to install. http://juniorwebmasters.net/ora2

I'm not by any means critizing, but perhaps if the mods were setup so desired features could be selected, then non-programmers will be more likely to use OR. Certainly it would reduce confusion for us.

For instance, the complete script includes several languages, and increases overhead. Since the only language I will ever use is english, the other languages just waste space and the excess adds to my confusion.

So if I had a choice of choosing features (if this is at all possible) for each website, I would be less intimidated by the size and quantity of scripts. Perhaps one choice could be horizontal layout and one could be vertical, choices of frames or tables for layouts, etc. I would only use the bells and whistles if required for a specific website.

As a webmaster, since i don't have a programmer on staff, I must stick with simple scripts which I can repair should there be a problem. My clients don't want excuses why I don't know how to fix something. They just want results.

If choices for mods are too difficult, then maybe a "streamlined" basic versiion will be just as good.

Again, I'm NOT criticizing. It's a great script but at the moment it is slightly beyond my abilities. (I will keep trying however)

In fact, I am currently trying to setup a website for technologically-challenged youths to show them simple procedures and setups so they can also get involved in the wide world of the internet.

This will include online WYSIWYG editors and any other easy to understand programs that will encourage them to get involved.

When I get openautoClassifieds setup, I will include it in my instructions and will provide a how to video on the setup. Hopefully, by fully understanding the basics, the challenged will be able to move onwards and upwards to OR2.0 etc.

Keep up the good work.

Jay Ray
http://juniorwebmasters.net

miltboogie
03-07-2004, 12:21 AM
What we really need is a back end content manager inventory list of property for our agents to see (sensative information that the web browsing consumer cannot see like the address of the building (for non exclusive rentals ) or the contact information for the landlord , any notes etc..

is there a mod that can do this ?

ltp
03-07-2004, 12:56 AM
What we really need is a back end content manager inventory list of property for our agents to see (sensative information that the web browsing consumer cannot see like the address of the building (for non exclusive rentals ) or the contact information for the landlord , any notes etc..

is there a mod that can do this ?

im sure that this mod would be rather easy to make yourself if you have any understanding of sql and php. you would basically need to add a public tinyint to the database under the listing fields... add a checkbox in the admin interface to be able to click and then change an sql query when displaying to check to see if that tinyint is set or not.

ltp
03-07-2004, 01:04 AM
I'm not by any means critizing, but perhaps if the mods were setup so desired features could be selected, then non-programmers will be more likely to use OR. Certainly it would reduce confusion for us.

For instance, the complete script includes several languages, and increases overhead. Since the only language I will ever use is english, the other languages just waste space and the excess adds to my confusion.

So if I had a choice of choosing features (if this is at all possible) for each website, I would be less intimidated by the size and quantity of scripts. Perhaps one choice could be horizontal layout and one could be vertical, choices of frames or tables for layouts, etc. I would only use the bells and whistles if required for a specific website.

i agree with you in alot of areas.

I think that the mods need to have a specific thing that they can do. Such as they need there own directory where they and have an install script and an uninstall script.

This way you can turn them on turn them off.

The same thing goes with templates which is basically already in effect.

hilandor
03-07-2004, 04:22 AM
just to tie in with the above comments, on the php pages i really appreciate some of the statements that explain what each bit of script does, could this statements be expanded a bit to show us non programmers where and what to change etc ( hope that makes sense) as i am creating this site up mainly for experience and learning at the moment, so as much written help is invaluable

tristan_moore
03-07-2004, 04:37 AM
As I suggested in another thread a membership kind of mod would be nice where agents can buy a 1month/1listing, 6month/10listings, etc... package.
This in combination with a paymodule (paypal or others)

Tristan

RealtyOne
03-07-2004, 04:52 AM
As I suggested in another thread a membership kind of mod would be nice where agents can buy a 1month/1listing, 6month/10listings, etc... package.
This in combination with a paymodule (paypal or others)

Tristan
i beleive this is being integrated to 2.0 allready the problem is only which gateways :)

RealtyOne
03-07-2004, 04:57 AM
just to tie in with the above comments, on the php pages i really appreciate some of the statements that explain what each bit of script does, could this statements be expanded a bit to show us non programmers where and what to change etc ( hope that makes sense) as i am creating this site up mainly for experience and learning at the moment, so as much written help is invaluable

Allthough it is hoped to provide upto date documentation it has to be realised that the development team can not be expected to know what everyone needs to have explained. It has been proved on many occasions that people dont read instructions for the best part so adding to files sizes etc seems pointless.
That being said 2.0 is expected to be 100% easier to work on for developers designers and users alike so the need for more that improved documentation may be removed.

RealtyOne
03-07-2004, 05:01 AM
The language system in 2.0 will be different to the current system in a true multi lingual sense.

Note:
LAnguage files cant = overhead if you never use them since they are never opened, currently if you dont want them just delete them they do nothing unless you manually direct the script to them in the common.php or use the language mod.

hcamelion
12-24-2004, 12:16 AM
I dont know why everyone says this doesnt exist I have it. I got the availability calendar mod a long time ago...I think I still have it somwhere on my computer. Anyway yes adding an availability calendar to 2.0 would be the most sense. Most realtors in my area do seasonal weekly and daily rentals for the ski season and being able to show availability on the website cuts out emails and inquiries for rentals that are allready booked. It saves time.

awddesign
12-24-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi
One thing with the availability calendar mod, is that it must be able to be
swithced on and off by admin and client.

Al

lasor
12-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Would love to see a availablity mod for v2 as I am looking to expand into holiday rentals in the new year. If anybody has a availablity mod now I would love to have a look at it.

Lasor

Mick
12-26-2004, 09:45 PM
on todo list for 2.0... now just have to get off my ass and get busy on it....

err.. well.. guess sitting on my ass is right where I want to be... but you get the metaphor

dave
01-12-2005, 02:56 PM
i was thinking that a random image generator would be helpful for those agents that are to lazy to submit pictures of their listings. The webmaster/broker can upload the images, and then if an agent doesnt submit an image of their listing, then a random image attaches itself to the listing. what do u guys think?

Mick
01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
What sort of random image are you looking for???

The script already puts a "No Image" picture on the listing if no photos exist for it..

It sounds like you want random house pictures for each listing which.. IMO is very misleading and could have legal ramifications for agents as well.

dave
01-12-2005, 06:21 PM
What sort of random image are you looking for???

The script already puts a "No Image" picture on the listing if no photos exist for it..

It sounds like you want random house pictures for each listing which.. IMO is very misleading and could have legal ramifications for agents as well.

yes random house pictures for each listing that doesnt have a house picture. maybe a disclaimer should appear when the random image is used. but you know what, now that i think of it, its not a good idea.

the_sandking
01-12-2005, 06:32 PM
I can see it now:

"Beautiful 5 bedroom 4 bath, brick 2 story on 1 acre"

<photo: single-wide trailer in the bad part of town>

:)

dave
01-12-2005, 07:29 PM
I can see it now:

"Beautiful 5 bedroom 4 bath, brick 2 story on 1 acre"

<photo: single-wide trailer in the bad part of town>

:)

or even worse, what if the generator doesnt work, and all the houses are the white house? :D

PamHinds
01-19-2005, 12:25 AM
I have searched and searched and cannot find a way to allow the admin to post listings for all their agents, assigning an agent.

Is this possible in 2.0? if not, it should be.

Thanks.

keystrokes247
01-20-2005, 11:11 AM
Ability for the agent to create nice "Quality" printouts for their Shop/Agency/Wall/Window etc.

This is different to printing out a "printer Friendly" version of a listing that a client can print out for quickness. This is something that renders the available data into a template layout suitable, as I say, to display within their agency for walk in clients.

I have posted this in another area of the forum, but no-one (to my knowledge) knows if such a module is available. Most suggestions seem to come back sating use a PDF converter to use the "printer friendly" version. This simply is not presented well enough for display purposes.

tombones
01-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Ability for the agent to create nice "Quality" printouts for their Shop/Agency/Wall/Window etc.

This is different to printing out a "printer Friendly" version of a listing that a client can print out for quickness. This is something that renders the available data into a template layout suitable, as I say, to display within their agency for walk in clients.

I have posted this in another area of the forum, but no-one (to my knowledge) knows if such a module is available. Most suggestions seem to come back sating use a PDF converter to use the "printer friendly" version. This simply is not presented well enough for display purposes.

Check into a piece of software called htmldoc. The latest version performs on the fly conversion of html to pdf really well. It is important that you format your html page correctly to make a proper "feature sheet". The downside is it needs to be compiled from source in the free version. Most shared hosting environments do not provide this capability. If you pay the $50 for support they will provide you binaries. I have a RedHat 9 binary I can share. Once you get it installed it is a breeze.

frobn
01-24-2005, 01:58 PM
An effort should be made to develop mods that enhance search engine ranking. So my efforts would go into developing mods that improve your content and improve search engine friendliness.

Here are a few suggestions.

An open house mod.
A mod to label or alternate labels for the feature images with various names such as For Investment, Relocation, Luxury Living, etc.
An articles mod to hold articles of interest to readers. The more articles you put in the more pages will be indexed.
A mod to change the page heading in heading h1 tags (I have something like this my css port of the Blue Boxes Template)
A way to change the key words and description on every page. (I think awddesign already has this)

Each of the above either makes the page more search engine friendly or improves the content.

rgpayne
01-27-2005, 07:44 PM
I totally agree with SK I have the solution enabled but not using OR Scripts :<

i.e.

etc...

etc...

the above are just examples..

Email marketing and keeping in touch with potential clients is becoming a big deal for Agents. As I keep chanting to all who will listen, Agents need to have something in the OR backend that is USEFUL that keeps them coming back to the /admin area to keep their stuff up to date, "working" their site on a regular basis...

apartmentsnetwork.com
09-02-2005, 04:40 AM
I found a way to do that in OR1 but not in OR2 so far.
The idea is to have multiple sites using the same database but pulling just a selection of data.
Example:
All Villas in Europe > Main site/ Database www.allvillasineurope.com (just guessing domains here)
Villas in Italy >www.Villas in Italy.com
Villas in Spain > www.Villas in Spain.com
Villas in Germany > www.Villas in Germany .com

So
- when an agent adds a villa in Itlay through www.allvillasineurope.com, the listing is available both on www.allvillasineurope.com and www.Villas in Italy.com
- when an agent adds a villa in Itlay through www.Villas in Italy.com
, the listing is available both on www.allvillasineurope.com and www.Villas in Italy.com
- Villas in Italy are NOTvisible in www.Villas in Spain.com and www.Villas in Germany .com

The agent/customer feel when he visits the country sites (www.Villas in Germany .com...) is that he gets only villas there.

I was thinking that was easy...any idea on how to do that?

Thanks

Bye!

Luca