PDA

View Full Version : Open-Realty for other uses

cachefl
03-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Can OR be used for listing vehicles? or is there something better to use for that? I am creating a local community web portal and any content suggestions are appreciated. I am currently considering at offering real estate listings, vehicle listings, classifieds, auctions, recipe exchange and a gift shop. Suggestions for other content is appreciated. suggestions and help are greatly appreciated. feel free and pm me if you want.

Mick
03-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Yes.. OR can be used for almost anything...

Real Estate is of course it's primary design and purpose but people are using it for all sorts of things:

Cars
Art
Models

So it's pretty flexible if you're willing to play with it.

Search the site, and check out the posts in the "Showoff" forum to see what people have done with OR

cachefl
03-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Can OR be used for listing vehicles? or is there something better to use for that? I am creating a local community web portal and any content suggestions are appreciated. I am currently considering at offering real estate listings, vehicle listings, classifieds, auctions, recipe exchange and a gift shop. Suggestions for other content is appreciated. suggestions and help are greatly appreciated. feel free and pm me if you want.

To be more precise, I am trying to create a community web portal. I want to offer business directory, classifieds, forums , polls, banner advertising, regular advertising, and premium advertising, weather, news, sports, job postings, online printable coupons, recipes exchange. any suggestions on how to go about doing this?

DandC
03-25-2004, 03:50 PM
As always, it is useful to have a search on the net for other scripts that are more suitable.

OR was built as a property site and can be "easily" customised for virtually any use - within reason.

Nonetheless, why spend hours/days/weeks/months/years on converting OR when another script may be suitable.

OR is great but so are most of the free php scripts out there!

verdon
03-30-2004, 10:06 AM

To be more precise, I am trying to create a community web portal. I want to offer business directory, classifieds, forums , polls, banner advertising, regular advertising, and premium advertising, weather, news, sports, job postings, online printable coupons, recipes exchange. any suggestions on how to go about doing this?

With the variety of things you are wishing to do, you should look at a modular sort of CMS (Content management System). There are quite a few of them out there. Things like Mambo, phpNuke, Movable Type, and so on.

One of my favourites and one I use for a number of clients is phpWebsite. It does a lot of the things you want, out of the box so to speak, and there is a pretty solid 3rd party module for it called phpwslistings that was inspired by this project. The integration is pretty nice. You really should investigate this kind of product for the scope of your vision. Check out http://phpwebsite.appstate.edu/ (main site) and a few other resources http://www.phpwebsitemanual.com/ (info), http://www.phpwebsitemanual.dk/ (3rd party mod demos)

best luck,