PDA

View Full Version : MySQL Backup- What's it for, how to use it.

ereed
03-26-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm assuming the MySQL backup on the admin menu allows you to backup your tables. If I'm running on a webhost server (I am), how do you go about using this tool to backup my data in the database, and do I have to back it up to my home PC?

RealtyOne
03-26-2004, 05:07 PM
The backup system is more of a database matainence area. From it you are able to do alot more than just backing up includeing optimising, restoreing backups etc.
You must have chmod the dump folder (admin/backup/dump) to 777 to allow the backup access. The system is setup to save to this folder. From there you can ftp your backup i guess if you want it on your pc. The restore system also defaults to this location, but it has a browse function that will also allow you to backup from your pc.

The system works useing the same details as are required for any other action from your site that invloves the database so i dont see how a different host would make a difference. If Open-Realty has access to the database then the backup system will work. It requires no extra setup. To use phpmyadmin from it you do need to have setup the common.php line that refers to it but it is optional and does not effect the rest of the system.

sa278
03-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi there :)
Well, I downloaded the backup to my PC using a FTP program e.g. WS_FTP In server it is located at ../admin/backup/dump/...backup_file Then I proceed to do some crazy major amendment to some field to test on new layout. Oops result doesn't turn out right! I logged into admin and restore back previous MySql data and structure from my good old C: drive. Also I used this downloaded file to synchonise all other ORs by doing the restore through the Admin CP. Client's database restore seperately. It is neat, fast and efficient. Don't have to open up the phpmyadmin. Save alot of time. I'm sure there are other purpose.