PDA

View Full Version : Best HTML / PHP Editor

perry
04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
What do you think is the best editor, and no votes for notepad its one of my favorites and sometimes perfect, but what i am after is what you think is the best full featured editor. I use Html-Kit and it really works great.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :P :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

caser85
04-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Dreamweaver MX 2004 of course! It's pretty good with code and it's CSS support is getting better with every version.

verdon
04-09-2004, 03:53 PM
BBEdit for MacOSX :)

dgammon
04-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Zend IDE

bigwah
04-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Dreamweaver all the way.

mrmosh
04-11-2004, 11:33 AM
I would have to say (drum roll please....) TextPad.

Fat Lizard
04-11-2004, 11:52 AM
UltraEdit
Dreamweaver
Top Style
PHP Ed

Riomacho
04-11-2004, 01:38 PM
I use ACE HTML Pro 5 for pages and Easy Edit for text/PHP quick editing.

You can get some good free software here:
http://nonags.com/nonags/texted32.html
Including several text editors, that generally highlight and color any code you are using.

I started with ACE Html 4, which used to be free and purchased Pro 5 because it was $70. You work directly with the code and can see a preview of what you're doing. No Nags has a nice list of free HTML editors that you could try:
http://nonags.com/nonags/htmledit.html

AmberLR
04-15-2004, 02:32 PM
BBEdit for MacOSX :)

I second that! :)

the_sandking
04-15-2004, 04:40 PM
UltraEdit
Dreamweaver
Top Style
PHP Ed

I use all the above except for UltraEdit and (no flames) FRONTPAGE.
FP is very worthy, after you figure out how to stop it from adding unnecessary tags to everything.

PHP Ed is absolutely awesome (when it does not crash) for rapid PHP development.

DWMX is a good all-around choice, but HomeSite (both by Macromedia) is much leaner and meaner if you don't have the $500 for DW. Once you actually know HTML/PHP etc, DW becomes an expensive text editor.

I gave up NOTEPAD and WORDPAD for PFE.. PFE is free, look for it via. GOOGLE and try it out..

Fat Lizard
04-16-2004, 01:50 PM
UltraEdit
Dreamweaver
Top Style
PHP Ed

I use all the above except for UltraEdit and (no flames) FRONTPAGE.
FP is very worthy, after you figure out how to stop it from adding unnecessary tags to everything.

PHP Ed is absolutely awesome (when it does not crash) for rapid PHP development.

DWMX is a good all-around choice, but HomeSite (both by Macromedia) is much leaner and meaner if you don't have the $500 for DW. Once you actually know HTML/PHP etc, DW becomes an expensive text editor.

I gave up NOTEPAD and WORDPAD for PFE.. PFE is free, look for it via. GOOGLE and try it out..

I also use FP, but more as a 'sketch/layout pad'.
Sometimes I paste the source of the generated page into FP, to find out why that one @#$&*&@# column/something doesn't line line up, etc. as expected.

UltraEdit is still the preferred tool, for nearly everything.

awddesign
04-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Hi

hidden in cute ftp there is an editor.
when set up its great. been using for 2y's

Al

wpod
04-18-2004, 01:21 AM
PHP newbie here, but been coding using UltraEdit for several years as my primary text editor...really sweet all around editor.

But I am really warming up to Dreamweaver MX 2004, easy integraition for MySQL. Spendy...but a solid tool

RealtyOne
04-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Homesite with php additives (Everything)
Dreamweaver MX (General Editing)
Topstyle (CSS Editor)
EasyPHP (server)
Theres my environment :)

andriven
04-18-2004, 11:05 PM
It's pretty young....but it's free for Linux & Windows (and has all the Mozilla Composer code in it).

http://www.nvu.com

frobn
04-22-2004, 10:49 AM
andriven wrote

It's pretty young....but it's free for Linux & Windows (and has all the Mozilla Composer code in it).

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded NVU and feel in love with it immediately. It still lacks features and has a few bugs, but being as good as it is at 0.2 version imagine what it will be at 1.0 and above. As coincidence would have it, OS News has a review of NVU today at:
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=6781&offset=45&rows=48 and the author has answered many of the criticisms at http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/danielglazman/weblog/index.php/2004/04/21/285-CommentsOnOsnewsReviewOfNvu

What I like about the editor is that it writes very good css code which fits in perfectly with my way of coding. It is ideal for an O-R project. It allows me to write standards compliant code for my pages that are not part of the O-R scripts and easily integrate them into OR.

I have also started another project to help nonprofits get on the web with standards compliant web sites (css and xhtml) and was looking for a way that they can easily update their web sites. I think I have found it in NVU as even for beginners will find it easy to use. If anyone is interested in this project the web site will be up by the weekend at http://netreach.us. I could use help especially in php programming and with graphics.

ltp
04-22-2004, 08:21 PM
/me breaks out the real tools :D

TopStyle for html, css
PHPEdit for php javascript and other files

I used to use Dreamweaver but i dropped it to its horrid syntax completing, not enough customization, not supporting real standards, and it was very bulky. Takes up alot of memory while TopStyle takes up hardly none. Its not the fact that I dont have a slow computer, mines really fast with lots of memory actually (AMD 64 3200 w/ 1024MB PC3200 RAM and (2) 10K Raptor SATA Drives). I just feel macromedia is a bunch of corporate overloaded junk software. I'd prefer to use notepad :)

jared
12-07-2004, 08:07 PM
go to www.westciv.com
because css is better than frames and tables and if open-realty doesn't support it I'll take what I currently have from it and create my own free for all open-realty version.

Jared.

jared
12-09-2004, 08:24 AM
My above post sounded a little cranky, sorry.

A good php editor that I've been using is Davors PHP Editor (FREE) real nice.

Jared.

frobn
12-09-2004, 09:39 AM
go to www.westciv.com
because css is better than frames and tables and if open-realty doesn't support it I'll take what I currently have from it and create my own free for all open-realty version.

Jared.

I don't understand the point of your post. Open-Realty v2 template is pure CSS and xhtml and there are many CSS templates available for ver 1. If you want to improve on the CSS in the template or create other CSS templates you can do so without forking open-realty.

jared
12-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Had not evaluated version 2 at time of post.
Yes CSS XHTML, Sorry!

wwobn
12-15-2004, 06:48 PM
What do you think is the best editor, and no votes for notepad its one of my favorites and sometimes perfect, but what i am after is what you think is the best full featured editor. I use Html-Kit and it really works great.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :P :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

if u must code in a windows env then notepad ;)

otherwise VI

timboellis
12-20-2004, 06:25 AM
I will go for NVU every time for 5 good reasons.

1.It's free
2.It's free
3.It does WYSIWYG
4.It's free
5.Runs on Linux and Windows

New2Dev
12-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Dreamweaver is great if you are developing off-site. It allows the choice of uploading a file, and including any dependant files or not, and its built in ftp saves time. It's expensive though, I didn't like that part one bit :mad:

Widget
12-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Dreamweaver MX 2004 of course! It's pretty good with code and it's CSS support is getting better with every version.

I agree on that one!

webgoddess
03-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Long before Macromedia created Dreamweaver, it bought HomeSite. It's truly an editor, but with lots of help to make coding quick and easy. You Dreamweaver users may have it as your code editor. Been using HS for years and love it. So, for PC users, I highly recommend it.

the_sandking
03-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Indeed, the original HS features are about all I use Dreamweaver for anymore...