PDA

View Full Version : How many users and listings can OpenRealty handle?

Franki
04-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Hello,
I'm going to create a large real estate site and I need a reliable software. I'm wondering if OpenRealty can handle a large number of listings and users. Could you estimate the maximum number (of listings and users) that this script should work without problems? Is OpenRealty a script that I can trust?

Mick
04-14-2004, 12:40 PM
I know open-realty is installed on several sites with several hundred listings.

There really is no limitation to what the script can handle, other than your server's limits (i.e., space/bandwidth)

Franki
04-14-2004, 12:49 PM
I estimate that I will have more than 10000 listings, that's why I want to know if Open Realty can work 100% with that number.

the_sandking
04-14-2004, 06:58 PM
I estimate that I will have 3000-4000 listings, that's why I want to know if Open Realty can work 100% with that number.

Yes it can!

But....

Searches and browsing (both use listing_browse.php) will be slow with that many listings installed, unless there are only a few data records (fields) per listing. Also, if you are on a shared server with lots of other active sites, you will notice the "lag" even more when searching or browsing..

see: http://www.open-realty.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1835

If you replace OR's standard next_prev function with the "Improved" next_prev function that is available in the MODS area, I have noticed about a 20% performance improvement in regard to that function over the old one.. Since the next_prev function is used on the listing_browse.php page, any boost here helps overall..

This is why we must tweak things when we have to use them for real..

Denver Dave
05-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Thanks for asking this question. While I don't anticipate having more thatn 100's of listings, I have noticed the loads seem sluggish some times. I'm not sure if it is the images or other things going on.

Open-Realty does a lot of amazing things to gain flexibility in adding new fields and editing presentation. I have wondered, if I might we willing to do a little more code hacking in exchange for better performance. However, I realize that this is not in keeping with the ease of flexibility that Open-Realty has.

verdon
05-03-2004, 09:45 AM
I've got a site with 2300 listings by 532 agents that seems to be working well. The listings (artwork) have a fair number of details but may be simpler than some real estate needs. The agent's (artists) are fairly indepth.

So far so good, anywise :)

fisherja
05-13-2004, 11:07 PM
From my own expeirence I found that 2500 listings is about max and it gets continually more unacceptable after that. Searching is a whole lot faster than indexexing a table and deleting from it which is what the current listing_browse.php file does to search. Continually recursivley deleting things from a full table. I have a much improved search that doesn't really hurt till around 25000 listings at which point it takes around 6 secs for a search to finish. I have changed large portions of the database and open-reality structure. But I will try to redo the original file using my shcema and post it when I have time

greengiant
05-13-2004, 11:13 PM
We have cleaned up the search eninge for 2.0 so it shoudl be faster with large databases. On that note, I am working on teh new template system now. I wil have that done in teh next day or so, once that is done I will post an update with some more info about when 2.0 will be released.

Denver Dave
05-14-2004, 12:49 AM
How the heck to you "guys" manage a thousand listings with the "edit listings" screen only displaying 10 at a time? It would seem to be tedious after a couple of dozen?" Are you using another approach?

Thanks for the 2.0 information.

RealtyOne
05-14-2004, 01:59 AM
@Denver Dave:
My Clients have found the addition of the id number edit box and the admin edit link on the listing view a great benifit with larger sites. But other than that i doubt there would be a difference :)

Franki
05-14-2004, 06:05 AM
From my own expeirence I found that 2500 listings is about max and it gets continually more unacceptable after that. Searching is a whole lot faster than indexexing a table and deleting from it which is what the current listing_browse.php file does to search. Continually recursivley deleting things from a full table. I have a much improved search that doesn't really hurt till around 25000 listings at which point it takes around 6 secs for a search to finish. I have changed large portions of the database and open-reality structure. But I will try to redo the original file using my shcema and post it when I have time

I really don't know what to do.. I'm going to create a very large website for real estate listings (>20000 listings) and I'm afraid of using Open-Realty. I read that it can't handle a large number of listings, the new version (2.0) is delayed again and again and also I have on my mind that the software is free, so its future is insecure.

Any opinion? Should I go with it? :?: :?:

verdon
05-14-2004, 07:35 AM
This is always the rsik with Open Source software. I think if you are comfortable customizing and supporting yourself, go for it. If not, and if you think you need a lot of support, go for a commercial product. That said, I've certainly worked with a number of commercial products that were less robust than Open Source equivalents... just the support channels are more accessable and updates are less frequent.

As to the future of any Open Source app, if you're comfortable supporting yourself, who cares how stable it's future is. Once you've customized and taken possession of it, it's future is up to you. Personally, I'd rather risk that, than be dependent on a commercial product I have no access to the core code if/when it dissapears or stops updating. I guess it all boils down to where your comfort level is :)

Best luck

greengiant
05-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Go with it. Yes 2.0 has been delayed. I am working on it now, it is going to be much nicer. Trust me, it is comming.

Denver Dave
05-14-2004, 01:56 PM
GreenGiant - thank you and others for all of your hard work with Open-Realty. I can't speak to performance issue, but it is great to be able to put together a working prototype for presentations to potential clients in an afternoon using Open-Realty. I was involved with the Open-Realty message board sometime back (110 posts - looks like I needed lots of help :shock: ) and while I did not succeed in my proposal, it is interesting to note that the winner also used this approach.

I now have another concept in feasibilty analysis where I control the web site and may have a Commercial Real Estate component. Obviously, I remembered Open-Realty and have put it in play again. Glad to help in anyway I can - thank you.

RealtyOne - thanks for the advise. An ID number and admin/edit link if the user is logged in along the lines of the generic version would be a great addition. Is there code around to impliment this with the vertical menus? If not, I can probably handle.

Franki - 20,000 records? Definitely worth some testing time with any approach you choose. Why not write a program to generate records and test the result? I'm sure there are people on this board that could help you with that for a fee. This would also be useful for testing other approaches and systems that you design.

Franki
05-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Franki - 20,000 records? Definitely worth some testing time with any approach you choose. Why not write a program to generate records and test the result? I'm sure there are people on this board that could help you with that for a fee. This would also be useful for testing other approaches and systems that you design.

I think I will go with OpenRealty. I will not insert 20000 records from the beginning but it's a very large project and I'm sure that I will have this number soon.. I hope to be able to find many people here to help me (for a fee) tweaking the code if needed!

verdon
05-14-2004, 03:53 PM
I think you will find help here, it's a good community.

I'm not sure what all 2.0 has to offer (shamedly behind in my keeping up to date), but you might want to look at some the threads here that discuss moving some fields from the dynamic table of form elements to the listings table itself. You'll lose some flexibility, but on listings items you know for sure are going to be included, it can speed things up with large amounts of listings. This is fairly extensive customization though. Also, as I said, it may not be as much an issue in 2.x

Franki
05-15-2004, 08:17 AM
Go with it. Yes 2.0 has been delayed. I am working on it now, it is going to be much nicer. Trust me, it is comming.

Could you please tell us when the new version will be released? I read that this date will be the 1/12/2004. Is that true or we will have it sooner?

Andre
05-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Could you please tell us when the new version will be released? I read that this date will be the 1/12/2004. Is that true or we will have it sooner?
I'm willing to bet you 1 million dollars that you will not have it before 1/12/2004.

Mick
05-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Heh.... sounds like some date format confusion....

1/12/2004 = January 12th, 2004

I think Andre wins the bet!

originally Ryan was planning for a Jan release date however various delays in development, personal life etc have pushed it back....

Ryan is right now hoping for a public beta release sometime in the next couple weeks. Keep in mind that this would be a beta release and many features won't be fully integrated yet and there will be bugs, so not a good idea to use this release as a production site.

Franki
05-17-2004, 05:47 AM
Heh.... sounds like some date format confusion....

1/12/2004 = January 12th, 2004

Yes, you're right... We here in Greece use the date format dd/mm/yy so I thought that 1/12/2004 = December 1st 2004...