PDA

View Full Version : How much $ should I charge for an Open-Realty based website?

repustech
04-14-2004, 02:07 PM
I just wanted some user opinions on how much I should be charging my customers for setting up an Open-Realty based website...

Maybe you all could post the amount you have charged your customers so I can get an idea...

Of course a percentage would go directly to Ryan and the Open-Realty project...

Thanx again...

PM me if you don't want to display your amount publicly...

thesailor
04-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Give the site away - you'll get more business...

charge for services - like setup and support...

just an idea...

Riomacho
05-05-2004, 11:42 AM
It depends on your location. I work with companies in Costa Rica and they don't mind paying $300 to $500 for installing software on the server. Especially seeing how they will save $35 to $50 per hour on design fees by using a software they can update themselves.

If I were located in the US I'm sure I could get more. I also offer services like search engine optimization and directory submission, so I don't think that I need to charge so much for installing OR. Besides, once you get the hang of it doesn't take long to install the software. You spend more time customizing the style and design. 8)

andriven
05-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Installing's pretty easy if you're familiar with php apps. Customizing to get to this point.....

http://jyrealty.andriven.com

took a while....sub $1000 setup fee (lot of static content and non-OR dynamic content + hand-holding) and then monthly hosting.

Still less than they were paying for their old website which they couldn't modify at all and was rather ugly...so seemed like a deal to them. :)

repustech
05-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Thanx for the input. $1000 sounds fair for install, template design, customization, and so on...

janc
05-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Installing's pretty easy if you're familiar with php apps. Customizing to get to this point.....

Very nice indeed but
your site is not compatible with opera...

andriven
05-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanx for the input. $1000 sounds fair for install, template design, customization, and so on...

Ironically, given that was the first OR site the per hour pay was horribly low (all the time to really poke into OR and mod it a lot). Hopefully can do a couple more sites to get the effective hourly rate back to something reasonable. :)

andriven
05-07-2004, 06:33 PM

Very nice indeed but
your site is not compatible with opera...

Thanks for the compliment.

I didn't even think to test in Opera.....in checking my stats, it's running around 0.2% hits or less. :/

Well, I just downloaded the latest Opera for Mac (what I develop on) and while the menus are a bit funky (they jump from the top of the screen down), the functionality works fine.

You wouldn't believe (well, maybe you would :) ) how hard it is to get dropdown menus to work in IE Win (multiple versions), IE Mac, Safari, Camino, Safari, Mozilla......and validate (which the site does with one minor exception that's from the listings_browse mod). We tried multiple javascript menus, different ways to wrap in css or tables, css menus......it's pretty nuts how hard a simple menu is.

So I'm afraid I'll have to point the finger at Opera for being just a little too different here....if you're willing to "sponsor" Opera compatibility, I think I could find time for it. ;) Which reminds me.....time to go make my OR contribution since I got paid this week. :D

janc
05-08-2004, 08:24 AM
[quote="janc"][quote=andriven]
I didn't even think to test in Opera.....in checking my stats, it's running around 0.2% hits or less. :/

Sorry i made that remark, but I'm a quite a fan of opera, (it would be nice if some more people did..)
my website has also a dropdown menu and that works in opera (and others to).
I got it from the mod section here. It's still not very nice but i'm working on it.
www.jurimmo.be

andriven
05-08-2004, 06:51 PM
No harm done.....happy you mentioned it (I'd rather know) as long as you don't call me a jerk for it not working in Opera. :P

It's nuts how hard some stuff can be that ought to be simple......hopefully in a couple years this kind of thing will be a bad memory. :)

I just checked out your site....looks nice. :) What's the name of the menu you're using? (if you don't mind) I'll add it to my bookmarks to check into later. :)

One thing I do like about the one we're using now is the nice acceleration in and out....but that's not really all that big a deal. ;) The one we're using now also supported not being anchored to the left side of the window....quite a few of the nice free options only worked if you anchored the page to the left hand side of the window (we wanted a fixed centered 800x600 compatible design).

janc
05-09-2004, 03:48 AM
What's the name of the menu you're using? (if you don't mind) I'll add it to my bookmarks to check into later.
quite a few of the nice free options only worked if you anchored the page to the left hand side of the window (we wanted a fixed centered 800x600 compatible design).
that's the link of the dropdown-menu.
http://www.open-realty.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2130
I'm looking to implement the menu form phpgedview, witch has some more options, like the use of images... http://carpentier.tk/