PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Open Realty site

chrisdawk
07-22-2010, 05:48 PM
I built an Open Realty site for a client several years ago. They did some work on the site yesterday and are now receiving error messages. (ie. the following message appears whenever they try to navigate to an individual listing: Perhaps you were look for something else?)

I need someone to troubleshoot the problem. The site is here:
http://northbrooklynrealty.com/listings/index.php

Please contact me asap:
chrisd@tracemedia.com

Thanks,
Chris

ebmarques
07-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Your client has an ancient and forked version of Open-Realty.
I guess even the link you posted is going to be moderated once it is not really O-R.

In my opinion your client need a new Website with the latest Open-Realty version.
In other words, there is no problem to troubleshoot but a job for a new Website.

Eduardo

chrisdawk
07-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi Eduardo,
Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to upgrade to the newest version of OR? Do you think that would fix the problem?

How much would you charge to do the upgrade?

Thanks,
Chris

ebmarques
07-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Hi Chris,

Is it possible to upgrade to the newest version of OR? Do you think that would fix the problem?
There is no "upgrade" option from a non-O-R site to the latest O-R! Of course! :)
If your client had an O-R v.1.x it would be possible (IMO not an easy task) and it would fix the problem - but that's not what I saw at the source code of your client pages so forget the "upgrade" alternative.

How much would you charge to do the upgrade?
Nothing because IMO it is not possible! :) If it was possible, I would not answer you at this thread - I would ask you to contact me by email.
Anyway, as I said at my previous post: I recommend you to sell to your client a NEW Website with the latest O-R version.

Good luck,
Eduardo

CanariasData
07-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi Eduardo,

looking at the source code of his page, Chris is using a OR 1.x and his 1.x version was one of the first version of OR forked by Ryan back in 2002.

<!-- powered by Open-Realty by http://www.open-realty.org. --> <!-- This product is a fork of --> <!-- powered by OpenListings by jon roig/smersh light industries. --> <!-- Copyright 2002. This tool is Open Source and released under the GPL --> <!-- Learn more @ http://jonroig.com or email jon@jonroig.com for details -->

Maybe I am wrong but it looks like a v1.5 to me.

the_sandking
07-23-2010, 09:20 AM
That is OR v1.x attribution text. It's probably earlier than v1.5 even.

The problem here would still be that it would be less labor intensive to start over than to try to upgrade, because you'd have to go from 1.x -> v2.5.8 -> 3.x

The first upgrade you will lose the template and most people did core mods back then that would be lost, and then there's the whole "type" field problem. The second upgrade is going to take something that's already a mess and try to bring that forward.

The amount of debugging involved in trying to upgrade is probably going to outweigh the costs of just building a new site using the current version of OR.