PDA

View Full Version : Camera recomendations

Will
04-28-2004, 01:36 AM
I would like to provide cameras for my agents to use to post listing photos with.

Question 1: What would be the difference between a high res. camera taking a 4 megapixel image and resizing before upload(irfanview), and a lower res. camera(cheaper) that works natively at a lower resolution?

Question 2: What about a higher res. camera turned down in the settings to take a 1024 X 768 image compared to the lower res. camera that uses that resolution(default).

I find it hard to believe that higher quality camera means a higher quality image in this instance.
If filesize/imagesize weren't an issue that would be true.

Why use a high megapixel camera to take a high res. picture when we are going to strip it down in filesize/ and display at 500 pix wide?

Currently I am in the testing/ building phase and I have used a 3.3 megapixel Olympus set to take the highest quality jpeg it will take. I am then resizing with photoshop to 640 X 480. The system OR uses on the server gdlib 2 is resizing to final display size of 500 wide. Im getting good results.

I would really like to stick to a cheap camera for the agents that works at 640 X 480 only. Thus making it easier for agents to upload images. I can't count on them to remember, or understand that they must upload smaller filesize/pixelsize images.

chriz
04-28-2004, 04:15 AM
A low-resolution camera would be more than sufficient, I agree.
The only thing I see is that by using professional equipment, like a camerabody with interchangeable lenses, you could also take pictures in difficult places using for example a wide-angle lens.

Apart from this I see no reason to invest in expensive equipment.
These days you can pick up a digital camera for under $200 (I have even seen them for under $100) but even these will not come in resolutions lower that 3M.

Just my 2cents (eurocents that is :-)
Chriz

Denver Dave
04-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Lower resolution is fine, but I like the idea of an optical zoom, perhaps 3x. More expensive camera's have the optical (as opposed to digital) zoom. Which cameras have a wide angle?

marb
04-30-2004, 12:44 PM
I'm using a Sony Cybershot 3.3 pixels and a Carl Zeiss lens.
In the front I can put some a other color or focus lens.
Normally I use a setting of 1024 x 768 and resize it to 600 x 800.

More picksels, more than 3.3 not allways make sharper/better photo's,
but the use less pixels make granular view.

The trick is that if the basic photo is sharp the end results will be sharp also.

Marten :)

the_sandking
04-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Best all-around bang for the buck!

Nikon Coolpix 5700 5.5 MP 8X optical zoom..

Accepts many lens types including Nikon fisheye and 3rd party 360 degree Panoramic lenses.

You want an OPTICAL zoom whenever possible..

YMMV

marb
05-01-2004, 03:33 AM
Think that my answer need a bit more explanation.
What the Sandking and I name are expensive camera’s. Over $1,000.00.
Both, Nicon and Sony, are good camera’s with a lot of options.
Sheaper camera’s are good also, but what do you want with them.

There are tree things what‘s important.
1- What you want to photograph
2- Can you photograph.
3- Would it be printout.

Start with 3; A higher resolution of a camera make that the basic is sharp.
Less than 3.3m pixels is a bit doubt for the sharpness.
A photo made with 3.3, resize to 600 x 800 give a good screenview and a good print with a normal printer. Picture size about 13 x 18 cm/18 x 24 cm. How better the printer, how better the printresult.

Go on with 2 and 1; Can you photograph. Everyone can make photo’s but are they allways as they are mean. The position of a camera, how you stand, light etc. are important. You can make photo’s with expensive camera’s and the results could be worthless, a cheap camera could give better pictures.

Sometimes if you place the camerea in a low position give a better/ spatial result than with a normal view. For interior photo’s a flashlight could be terribly. Digital camera’s can make photo’s with less light. The use of present light could give more mood.
A option is to browse to sites of photographers and house and living magazines.
You can learn a lot of there.

Finally you want to sell something, a good presentation is a important part of it.

Hope it’s usefull.
Marten :)

Will
05-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,
However I wasn't looking for a conversation on the best cameras for photographys sake. I just wanted to know how low I can go in camera quality and still get good results using it with OR.

Will

Fat Lizard
05-03-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,
However I wasn't looking for a conversation on the best cameras for photographys sake. I just wanted to know how low I can go in camera quality and still get good results using it with OR.

Will

Just upload a test image of your own, at various and known sizes/resolutions, and decide what you're happy with re: load time and quality.

Most available cameras should give you what you want, depending on the quantity you're after, you're budget, etc. etc.
Then try and get a good deal for buying nn cameras at once, at a reduced price.