PDA

View Full Version : Reserved Words for field names in OR

the_sandking
04-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Just a heads-up for anyone before they spend a lot of time figuring out why things won't completely save sometimes when adding or modifying a listing.

Recently I was setting-up a site and one of the fields I created in 'Edit Listings Template' had a Field Name of "owner" .

Try as I might, when adding new listings or editing existing ones, I could not get anything to save in the "owner" field.. All other fields contained the correct data, but "owner" was always blank.

After looking at the code I noticed that the variable $owner is used as the user_ID for the listing, at least for 'listings_edit.php'..

After changing the Field Name to "own" I was then able to save data to the field.

There are appearantly some reserved words like "owner" throughout the system that cannot be used as field names and/or other things. Should any of you run into the same headache, check the source-code of the file in question for a variable with the same name as the field that won't save data. If you find one, there's your problem... Change your field name and that should fix it.

Maybe when Ryan gets back from his vacation :roll: he can check v2.0 for any "sensitive" variable names, and isolate or rename them accordingly...

Beerz!

scd67
04-29-2004, 12:48 AM
nice catch sandking, i do believe this one is a keeper :D

thanks for the heads up, this will probably save a few of us a bit of sanity in the course.

greengiant
05-08-2004, 09:22 PM
SK,

This should be fixed in 2.0. I will make a note here to double check as i get things worked out more.

Thanks,

try2stay
04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
I believe this one got me, too, with "School District". Thanks for the help.

mat123slade
04-03-2005, 11:27 AM
I also noticed this when I first used Open Realty... I d'ont think it is worth fixing this, but It would be nice o have a notice on that page...