PDA

View Full Version : OpenRealty should NOT be free

Franki
05-14-2004, 05:21 AM
Here is my opinion.. OpenRealty is now a free software and its developers don't have much time to work with it, to develop it, etc. because they have their normal daily work! So, why don't you require a subscription in order to make an income from this project so you will spend more time with it? There aren't many good programs for real estate this moment and many people are interested for OpenRealty. I think that all of us who need a professional sofware for real estate listings would pay for it.

greengiant
05-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Franki,

We are always trying to come up with ways to spend mroe time on this project. I really dont want to go to a subscription model. We are thinking about adding a priority support forum, that would equire a subscription. Other options have been discussed as well, but I have not decided on anything. Other options include charging for some future mods we develop. Really the best way everyone can help is use www.transparent-tech.com for hosting. If I could boost the number of hosting customers up I could spend more time on open-realty.

pfeiffdog
05-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Here is my opinion.. OpenRealty is now a free software and its developers don't have much time to work with it, to develop it, etc. because they have their normal daily work! So, why don't you require a subscription in order to make an income from this project so you will spend more time with it? There aren't many good programs for real estate this moment and many people are interested for OpenRealty. I think that all of us who need a professional sofware for real estate listings would pay for it.

I think your right on! However, I am not so sure at this point that charging for this script is a good idea. The reason is that while this is a totally excellent script, it is not a finished script. I have personally witnessed someone have an excellent idea for a script (non real estate) and charge for it before it was totally completed. Many people bought it including myself and after using it we all complained to the point where this guy got blackballed. The reason is that we paid money therefore we expected a fully operational script without major bugs and problems. As you mentioned these guys have put in a lot of their personal time and because of that I would hate to see the hard work of everyone who contributed to this project get totally trashed. I think what you said can be much more successful when the full version of 2.0 is live. It is a lot harder to complain about something that is free as opposed to something you paid for with your own hard earned money.

Keep in mind that the people behind this have left open the opportunity to get paid by way of donation. If you feel this strongly then make a donation. I am sure they will gladly accept it.

Great idea but the timing has to be right.

rogerthat
05-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I will be donating often, once i get it up and earning.
The script is awesome, open for modfication.
Why not (im new so not sure) get the people whove modded stuff on the creating team and offer them a share in profit, or affiliate system.
Complete the script and have a subscription fee, or charge for upgrades and support.
Theres plenty of ways you could make profit from this script,
Why not offer a package to the people here, like a preinstalled script, hosting, a domain etc, everything people need under one price.

if you want free promotion of your scripts, then pm me and I can add a banner on my free hosting network which gets up to 30 impressions a day.

I fully support OR and wish I could contribute by code etc, but as you can tell from my help threads, im not v good in it.

So I can offer support in other ways.

repustech
06-10-2004, 11:44 PM
I will be donating often, once I get it up and earning.

It's really as simple as that.

I believe that if we all contributed a little, either by donating $$ or just contributing modifications and templates, the developers could spend more time perfecting this wonderful script.

Open-Source projects are great, but they do require support from the users. Letís help keep this project free for everyone.

RealtyOne
06-11-2004, 05:05 AM
The general finacial support of the Open-Realty system is not something that will keep Ryan & family fed and warm. The donation system is good for at most 2% of users. The rest dont care.
Version 2.0 should as far as i am concerned be PAID FOR leaving the current version as open-source.
That keeps everyone happpy.

Note: The above statement is not made through any thought of mine to make money from the project since in fact i dont. I make a little from doing customising for people and once i did get a donation for the full mod package.

Fkatt
06-13-2004, 10:21 AM
I by no means have contributed anything to this project, so this is JUST a suggestion, please no one take any offense to this. That being said here is a suggestion for the financial side of handling things with 2.0.

What if there was a new section created just for distribution of 2.0 with updates, mods, templates etc,,,, and of course the source files/downloads and this are was for paying members who all pay dues monthly or something for access to said area. I for one would deffinately pay for that. Just a suggestion.

-J

ashott
06-14-2004, 06:02 PM
OK, most people do not have enough hours in any single day. The people who are working on Version 2.0 probably have even less time than most of us.
Just as a point of discussion, what would it take in $$ terms to get the next version released ?
If there was a specified goal, it may be easier to attract donations.
The total contributions could be posted on the web site and everyone could see how close we are to reaching the needed money.
I've got the first $ 500.00 (US) to put "in the pot".

Any thoughts ?