PDA

View Full Version : Allowing the public to add listings

patrick24601
05-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Has anybody modded this so it can be used without a signin - or allowing any one to post listings?

I'd like to add this to a community site and allow anybody to post their house listings. Sort of an open MLS concept.

RealEstate
05-24-2004, 10:36 PM
i'm not a programmer but i'm give you my opinion.
if you leave it open for anybody to post without a signin, then by default reasoning you will be able to edit my listings and vice versa.

unless you code it so that a listing is neither modifiable or deleteable once it is posted.

and if you code it this way, when i want to come back to edit or delete my listing, i wont be able to.

But to not complicate things with the above, why do you want to implement this? what's wrong with having them create a user and pass, and having each individual sign in?

Afterall, it will be free for your users. they dont have to pay you to sign in or post listings. it will be self run.

psharpe
05-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Patrick: I'm just "thinking out loud" here but it appears the script already provides what you'd like to do with the exception that each User must register. (This is a good thing!)

The Site Administrator can assign specific levels of access to each individual registered User and Agent. Sellers would only require the ability to post new ads and edit existing ones. This can be done in a way that they can only add or edit their own listings.

I have no idea if there is any restriction on the number of Users and/or Agents the script can handle but I would suggest there probably isn't.

Just a thought. Good luck!