PDA

View Full Version : General Website Statisitics

ereed
06-08-2004, 08:02 AM
OK, so now my sites are up, and I'm even generating minimum traffic, up to a couple hundred hits per day, around 2500 per month for the last few months.

Now, how do I find out more information about where the traffic is coming from.

I'm doing a variety of print ads, a google adwords campaign, signage, etc. I'd like to find out more about who's visiting, and how they got there.

Any ideas about how to track web statistics. My host has some, captures page views, Browser type. But I'd like a more complete picture. If I have 200 visitors in a day, I can only get the URL for about 8 to 10 of them from my hosts statistics.

Any ideas or help from those who are experienced web masters?

the_sandking
06-08-2004, 08:49 AM
OK, so now my sites are up, and I'm even generating minimum traffic, up to a couple hundred hits per day, around 2500 per month for the last few months.

Now, how do I find out more information about where the traffic is coming from.

I'm doing a variety of print ads, a google adwords campaign, signage, etc. I'd like to find out more about who's visiting, and how they got there.

Any ideas about how to track web statistics. My host has some, captures page views, Browser type. But I'd like a more complete picture. If I have 200 visitors in a day, I can only get the URL for about 8 to 10 of them from my hosts statistics.

Any ideas or help from those who are experienced web masters?

There is a simple statistics package in the MODS area that also keeps track of when GOOGLE visits.

If you are flush with cash, Webtrends Pro is a good commercial stats package. It make pretty graphs and such. Webtrends will require that your webserver is creating a standard log file, something that your webhost (or you) may have to turn "on".

sharon
06-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Are you sure that your hosting company does not have a way to see better stats? A raw log? If you have access to your raw logs, you can get software to display the numbers for you in a better format.

Take Care, Sharon

janc
06-08-2004, 04:20 PM
I use http://www.php-web-statistik.de/ witch is verry easy, and gives you info on the users and the pages that they visited.
It's maybe not verry powerfull, but it does the job, i think...
look at http://www.jurimmo.be/stats/stat.php or theire is also a link at the index page.
I dont get however a 100 hits a day... maybe the logfile will become to big.

MjrGaelic
07-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Do a google search for AWSTATS. Should - gives you the gorey details of every kind you can imagine. =)

ltp
07-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Do a google search for AWSTATS. Should - gives you the gorey details of every kind you can imagine. =)

Cant believe you didn't know the URL!!!
http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

This is a very nice OSS statistics package. I actually give it to all of my hosting customers.

ereed
07-19-2004, 10:42 PM
I have a download, but the install instructions are not clear to me. I used the zip file, unzipped it, then I transfer to a folder on my server.

From there it gets questionalble. Mine is a shared server I think. I think I could make the changes to the path, etc (similar to OR) but then it talks about command line execution, etc.

If I'm shared, can I make the changes it describes it will make to Apache, and can I get to execute a command line server instruction??

I don't even have a clue how.

Ed