PDA

View Full Version : Unsure where to go now

Steven
07-11-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi,
I've been working with OR for quite some time now. Great system!
However, i need to do some modifications, i.e. did a lot allready (sending a nice e-mail with the property-view, making a print of an adapted page, etc.).
Now i'm just before 3 more main adaptions of the system.
1. I need "real" multilanguage (i.e. conversion of metrics system, an english and a french discription in the database, etc. -you get the picture).
2. I need to have different tables and views for houses, for land, for appartements.....
3. I need to change the map server (yahoo does not serve french maps)

Now, i have some ideas, and can go and do it all, based on 1.1.5.
But, if in 2 weeks ;-) 2.0 comes out, i probably want to use a lot of it's features too, so i have to redo it all.
So, I've been waiting for 2.0 for several months now. This i cannot do anymore (wait).

What would you advice? Adapt 1.1.5 and forget about 2.0, or work with 2.0 alpha (that is, if you where willing to send it to me)

Please advice.
Thanks,
Steven

Mick
07-11-2004, 01:15 PM
If these changes are something you're going to need implemented in the next month or so then I'd recommend sticking with 1.1x for now. Ryan does have a 2.0 alpha version release planned very soon but, since it'll be an alpha version release there will be many bug fixes and features added before it reaches a more official 'beta' release.

Main purpose of alpha release will be for bug testing, suggestions and feature requests to be submitted.

Fat Lizard
07-11-2004, 01:29 PM
If you've come this far with what you've done, you must have become reasonably familiar with it's inner workings, and how to customise it.

My 2c worth:
Don't wait for 2.0 ..
a) It could be delayed again, for any number of reasons
b) You would have to (possibly) re-do the existing customisations that you have already done, and there's nothing to say it will be simple or otherwise.

I think you need to eere on the side of caution, and stick with a relatively 'known quantity' that is shaping up as required for you needs, while v2.0 may have very little benefit for you.

awddesign
07-12-2004, 10:04 AM
If you've come this far with what you've done, you must have become reasonably familiar with it's inner workings, and how to customise it.

My 2c worth:
Don't wait for 2.0 ..
a) It could be delayed again, for any number of reasons
b) You would have to (possibly) re-do the existing customisations that you have already done, and there's nothing to say it will be simple or otherwise.

I think you need to eere on the side of caution, and stick with a relatively 'known quantity' that is shaping up as required for you needs, while v2.0 may have very little benefit for you.
Hi

PM me

with 100% of what you need to do with 1.1.5
and I will see what we can do.

or post it on the work section

Al

Fat Lizard
07-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi

PM me

with 100% of what you need to do with 1.1.5
and I will see what we can do.

or post it on the work section

Al

Thanks, but, I think you meant the original poster, Steven ....

I've already re-written OR from scratch, so there's nothing in 1.1.5 I need; and I think I've already done most of what's due in 2.0, so now, even just the plans I have for my code exceed what I can do in this lifetime ...

Steven :: Let us know how it gets on for you.

Fat Lizard

the_sandking
07-12-2004, 01:28 PM
What would you advice? Adapt 1.1.5 and forget about 2.0, or work with 2.0 alpha

V1.15 is stable enough in an average usage enviornment. Unless you are expecting to have a large number (thousands) of listings, or an extremely busy site, it should work just fine. Basing any new project (that has a deadline) on alpha-code can cost you a lot of time and $$.

I've already re-written OR from scratch, so there's nothing in 1.1.5 I need; and I think I've already done most of what's due in 2.0, so now, even just the plans I have for my code exceed what I can do in this lifetime ...

Steven :: Let us know how it gets on for you.

Fat Lizard

Indeed, and re-writing everything to work 'better' is challenging!

ltp
07-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Indeed, and re-writing everything to work 'better' is challenging!

There I think you are wrong... IMHO v1 is a mess of procedural code. It was based off of no design patterns, of which will restrict what you can do with the original code without much rewriting and much knowledge of internal workings of how php and database interaction should work.

the_sandking
07-12-2004, 08:16 PM
I guess I should have said:

....and fixing everything to work 'correctly' is challenging!