PDA

View Full Version : Resources on a busy site.

MjrGaelic
07-30-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm looking at building a site and if all goes well will be in the regions of about 150k hits per day.

Needless to say it will be bandwidth intensive and I'll be using a dedicated server for it (my own build)..

Question is - do you tink an OR Based portal can handle that kinda traffice with DBase querries etc?

the_sandking
07-30-2004, 05:06 AM
I'm looking at building a site and if all goes well will be in the regions of about 150k hits per day.

Needless to say it will be bandwidth intensive and I'll be using a dedicated server for it (my own build)..

Question is - do you tink an OR Based portal can handle that kinda traffice with DBase querries etc?
It will depend entirely on the number of listings, and how many data records (fields) per listing you have.

Do a search around here in the forums. This has been discussed before.

ltp
07-30-2004, 10:17 PM

you can also set up a http cache called squid to eliminate the huge amounts of bandwidth being used and also keep the strain off of or.

the next thing that you can do is optimize the code a little bit if you know what you are doing with that in the search section.

otherwise 150K hits/day shouldn't be too bad. at a time i wouldn't expect more than 15 people.

MjrGaelic
07-30-2004, 11:47 PM
No geek hacking here =0 I'm more of an open source reverse engineer...