PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Tour Mod Copyrighted

lasor
08-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Has anybody else received this email and is it correct that the Virtual Tour Mod is infact copyrighted.

You are using Copyrighted images and code from 0-360.com without
permission! Please cease and desist immediately!

Also, menu0360.class is not freeware, but is for users of our optic
only. You must remove it from your site immediately. Also, the
buttons images are taken directly from our site.

Sincerely,

Ken Simpson
www.0-360.com

I would be grateful for a little advice on this.

RealEstate
08-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey Lasor,

There was a post on how to modify the viewer buttons in this forum.
Also, PTViewer is a free to use by anyone.

As far as the pictures, he's right. If he took those panos, then he owns them.

RealEstate

Mick
08-10-2004, 01:59 PM
lol.. wow that guys an idiot....

Yes I've received it and here's the situation:

First, the virtual tour mod is using absolutely NO copywrited code of any sort. About 10 months ago I started the virtual tour mod for myself and, because I am an owner of their optic I used their copywrited software for my mod. Because their software is freely available for download on a public are of their site, I assumed (Don't ever assume) that the software was freeware or opensource. When I realized that it wasn't I contacted them and requested permission to use their "menu0360.class" file which handles the dropdown menu selection of the virtual tour images and the text description.

They declined.

So I wrote my very own javascript solution to handle the drop down menu selection and the text description box. This code is mine, it doesn't even slightly resemble his copywrited code.

Now the catch... Yes.. I am using the control background image from his site. I will be releasing an updated version of the virtual tour mod this weekend with a new, identical, freely available background (which is almost certainly how he got his "copywrited" image). Also, if you search for information about copywrited images you'll also find that there is much legal precident to show that people can't copywrite generic images such as the control background. Copywrite is for images that can't be easily and quickly reproduced by any 6 year old with photoshop.

Copywrite is for photographs or logo's.

The buttons were all redone and are not his images... the background is the only thing that belongs to him. However, I am having new background and control buttons produced as we speak.

Anyways, I apologize for the inconvience of this. I'd hope in the future that somebody who owns some code, would be able to recognize the code before accussing people of using it. At least he got the background image right ;-)

lasor
08-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks Mick for clearing that up.

I dont know wether you noticed but there was a message on the Virtual Tour thread. However that disapeared very quickly. !!

Anyway thanks again for clearing that up

Lasor

awddesign
08-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Hi Mick

Thanks for that... :)

will up date my 1479 sites when you are done.

Al

MjrGaelic
08-10-2004, 06:56 PM
That will be a pot of coffee