PDA

View Full Version : Open Realty Developers Addition

Caleb
09-25-2004, 02:52 AM
I have been looking at what is around the corner. frankly i am so unsure about it that i feel something drastic must be done. to take OR and strip it of the template manager. strip it of the extra weight for non programmers. and streamline it for those of us who know the importance of direct control. Open Realty is wonderful. and i want to make it blossem. set some rules and guidlines for developing the main interface. and modules that add onto it. make it complete and powerful on its own. able to handel thousands of listings. I hope to have the support of the creator in this. i believe its in the same spirit. perhaps he can start a new area for us.

frobn
09-25-2004, 08:24 AM
I agree with your premise. This would necessitate stripping out most if not all of the layout and formatting from the functions so that each module would be only fucntions that could used where needed or wanted. I think it would be possible to have a developer's OR with a few templates for those who want an out-of-the-box solution.

Frank

the_sandking
09-25-2004, 09:12 AM
By posting in this forum are you offering paid work, or just trying to bounce ideas off of others?

Caleb
09-25-2004, 02:20 PM
once the database is rewritten then yes must of the code will have to be gone through and sorted out. plus there are a handful of new features going directly into everything so thats kinda a big deal at the moment too.

As for money? no. that has nothing to do with it. this is about making OR programmer friendly.

And i am here to get together some people who would be interested in working on such a project.

greengiant
09-25-2004, 03:10 PM
I assue you are referring to either the new template system in 2.0 or the page editor, I am not sure which. If it is the template system.. What is your issue with it specifically.

If this is about the WYSIWYG page editor. It has a CODE VIEW mode where you can edit the code by hand.. If having a file there is that important i am sure we can drop in a page_load action that will take a html page and place it in the template..

Basically I wouldnt get this worried about 2.0 untill you see it in action..

Will
09-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Ryan,
How is the new release(2.0) addressing the suggested limit of 2000 listings? I ask that because I have read many times that after 2000 the system slows considerably. Is it just the listing_browse page that shows the slowdown? Many of the pages are rendered by several calls to 4 different tables in the db. For instance to render one listing(listingview) it uses multiple queries to userDB, userDBElements, listingsDB, and listingsDBElements. I'm certain it would be much faster to query two tables, userDB, and listingsDB. However that would make it impossible for non-programmers to add fields with template editor. Thats the template system I think is being suggested to be taken out for developers/programmers. I do realize that that would defeat the ease of use for non-programmers. Is it posssible to offer a system for those who require handling of thousands of listings? It seems ironic for me to ask this as the ease of use made me stick with OR in the first place. I do admire your work as it has made me learn a tremendous amount about php, mysql, databases, html, and javascript. My bookshelf can attest to that. So thanks for all you do.

Regards,
Will

Caleb
09-25-2004, 04:01 PM
and will has my point. i am not as concerened with people who dont know how to program. as i am about having something light and powerful. pretty much the plan is to strip the template system out of it. but while at that might as well modify the userDB to satisfy upcomming needs. the 2000 issue thing is a concern. though i believe thats more of a random number then anything else. bogging would happen at 1800 or 2200 or whatever. if at all. it would be interesting to see OR with 4000 listings.

greengiant
09-25-2004, 04:37 PM
I have tested o-r with over 5000 lisitings. Page load times are anywhere from 1-3.5 seconds depending on if the sql query was loaded into cache yet. This was the largest database I had avaliable to test on. As you can see speed is not an issue with 2.0.

2.0 Should be much easier for programmers to work with, with the code base being drastically improved. The goal of open-realty is to be easy for everyone to use, that means endusers and the programmers.. 2.0 is the first big step in meeting that goal. There are alot more changes to come, I have a list a mile long, part on paper part in my head of things that need to be done both before and after 2.0.

I thin if everyone just relaxs abou the screenshots and features until we have the alpha ready here, that when you see all the changes you will all be very pleased.

Caleb
09-25-2004, 05:41 PM
I am still looking forward to it. i know what its like to have screen shots out. the moment its out everything changes. hard to take a snapshot of progress.

And god i think we all have a list a mile long haha.

the_sandking
09-25-2004, 06:33 PM
I am still looking forward to it. i know what its like to have screen shots out. the moment its out everything changes. hard to take a snapshot of progress.

And god i think we all have a list a mile long haha. I started buying really big containers to hold the mile-long lists.. A boon for home depot...

As the person who has stated several times previously in these forums that OR could not handle large amounts of listings, rest assured, I have personally seen v2.0 crunch on 5000+ listings and it does not suffer from the original "lagging" search return times. Once the Alpha is finalized, you can be sure I'll be the first to hand it 50000 listings to chew on.

Also, What most of you probably do not realize is that v2.0 is a compete overhaul of about 90% (or more) of the original system. The programming methods being used are now becoming much more consistant and up-to-date with current programming concepts and methods. Moving toward a templatized, system with advanced editing capabilities is right in line with today's emerging trends.

Cleaning-up and revamping the code in this manner only *encourages* more developers to participate.

Caleb
09-26-2004, 04:43 AM
I am kinda new to this part of things so i am looking for some input here form people who know more then i do... how does this look?

SNIP.......

the text,char,varchar is the part i am not sure about the rest i get. also i am not 100% sure on how to handel the features with the || and all.. but i guess i will figure that out in the next few days. anyway anyone see any problems with this structure as far as things are concerned. i plan to drop it into the listingsDB as i have already tossed out the elements.

the_sandking
09-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Don't sweat the field types.. If you dunno what to use varchar will work for just about everything. You can always change the field types and sizes later, even while there is data in the tables.

As far as "||" delimited fields go.. explode() is your friend..

http://us4.php.net/manual/en/function.explode.php

Caleb
09-26-2004, 03:08 PM
i found that explode() i was so excited i fell to sleep. see even if my project turns out into nothing it still has value, as it gives me aot of experience.

Caleb
09-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Well first i deleted all the fields in ListingsDB Elements then i deleted the template edit file, then i dropped the table all together. rebuilt the listingsDB and i was good to go from there.

of course the style.php just totally freaked out. so i am working on it now. so far i got rid of all the errors. got the Yahoo maps to work. and the weather
module that i wrote to work. oh and i cut that code in half for both. great huh.

Next i am going to get the listingsview working perfect then i will work on the add listings file. at the moment i entered the extra fields in manually.

god this is going to be so sweet. your going to love it. i can feel the extra weight falling away already. now i just get to play doctor and cut off the extra dead skin.

wwobn
09-27-2004, 08:04 AM
I have been looking at what is around the corner. frankly i am so unsure about it that i feel something drastic must be done. to take OR and strip it of the template manager. strip it of the extra weight for non programmers. and streamline it for those of us who know the importance of direct control. Open Realty is wonderful. and i want to make it blossem. set some rules and guidlines for developing the main interface. and modules that add onto it. make it complete and powerful on its own. able to handel thousands of listings. I hope to have the support of the creator in this. i believe its in the same spirit. perhaps he can start a new area for us.

something must be done like you actually learning code? *hugs* ;)

Caleb
09-27-2004, 01:33 PM
and gives no comment.

Caleb
09-27-2004, 04:38 PM
I have the listingsDB table setup and its working perfect. I have the adding of listings working perfect. and the listing view looks good. all that is really left to do is to rebuild the Edit Listing page.