PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying GPL Violation

ResaleBroker
09-25-2004, 12:43 PM
It is my understanding that deleting the comments in lines 1316-1323 of include/main.php is a violation of the GPL. Is that correct?

Another user on another forum has said that because he/she is not distributing, selling or modifiying the software that he/she can delete the code and not be in violation.

Here are his/her words:

GPL on open realty is in respect of resale not the use of.
the quote in the code is credit only.
im not selling the code
i deleted the credit from the code as its not for GPL (General Public Release)

Can someone clarify this?

the_sandking
09-26-2004, 10:04 AM
It is my understanding that deleting the comments in lines 1316-1323 of include/main.php is a violation of the GPL. Is that correct?

Another user on another forum has said that because he/she is not distributing, selling or modifiying the software that he/she can delete the code and not be in violation.

Here are his/her words:

Can someone clarify this? If one of the requirements set by the author of the particular GPL code is that the hidden copyright must remain intact, it must remain intact, period. It is usually understandable if the physical location of the copyright notice must be moved in the code, i.e. from line 1316 to line 1700, or even to exist in another file within the same system. The spirit of the requirement is that end users can see the copyright somehow, so that they may know where parts of the app (even if modified) came from.

Resale or charity, really doesn't factor here...

ResaleBroker
09-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Thank You!