frobn
10-12-2004, 08:39 PM
I are testing MLS/IDX solutions at:

http://websidesigns.com/index.php

Here is a open-realty integrated approach
http://websidedesigns.com/listingsearch.php

and an approach that clones the look and feel of the local MLS/IDX

http://websidedesigns.com/search_mls.php

I would appreciate comments and any suggestions on how to improve on them.

NOTE: This is a test site only and not a production site.

Thanks,
Frank

RealEstate
10-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Are these real listings from the MLS?

How are you getting them into your database?

frobn
10-13-2004, 07:40 AM
Are these real listings from the MLS?

How are you getting them into your database?

For the integrated approach we are downloading the MLS database and converting the data for open-realty tables.

In the second approach we are intercepting the IDX frame before it is displayed.

Regards,

neparealtor.com
10-13-2004, 08:26 AM
I found the listingsearch to listing_browse to be fast. Was it hard to convert the MLS database structure over to the OR structure? I noticed that the feature "Arrange to view this property" does not work and throws out a 404 error and I think you should take out the "Listed by Admin" on the top of the page. But all in all nice job on the import.

RealEstate
10-13-2004, 10:49 AM
The site looks good.
For the integrated approach , how are you making sure you're not duplicating listings?

ResaleBroker
10-13-2004, 11:17 AM
In general, how do you intercept the frame before it is displayed?

frobn
10-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your comments guys.

Was it hard to convert the MLS database structure over to the OR structure?

Converting is not hard, but is tedious and you have to have a plan before you start. The data comes in a csv file and some parts like features are coded. There were over 600 features but we only coded for about 50 of them.

For the integrated approach , how are you making sure you're not duplicating listings?
The data is downloaded at regular intervals using cron. The tables are emptied before adding the new data. We originally were going to filter out duplicates but then we wouldn't be able to update individual properties that changed during the interval. Everything is a compromise. I have asked the programmer to flag the realtor's mls listings and mark them as featured.

...how do you intercept the frame before it is displayed?
I am not a programmer but the general concept is that when a request to the IDX is made the incoming file is saved to a temp file, parsed and re-assembled for display. Php and pearl libraries are used to capture the incoming file. This is not the best approach as some MLSs do not like it. There is also a lot of coding involved. The part I like about it is that it has an almost identical look and feel to the local MLS making it familiar to visitors who are used to the MLS. I wanted this as a proof of concept and I am thinking of using it in a hybrid approach, without open-realty, where the data is downloaded to the local server, put into a database and used with this framework. It would be a good service for realtors who want a MLS on their site but do not want a full open-realty approach.

RealEstate
10-13-2004, 01:54 PM
If you clear the tables, does that mean that listing
http://websidedesigns.com/listingview.php?listingID=8312

next week might be a different property?

ereed
10-13-2004, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure what the concern is for duplicating listings... In the MLS we are a part of, the data to filter includes a field for the office ID and the agent ID, allowing you to select those as featured listings if you wish.... If the concern is to be sure that your not duplicating in the event of a price change, etc.. , a field exists for selecting active, sold, changeprice, etc. ..

Looks good.

Are you experiencing the slow down that others have reported with having many listings in the database, and if so how are you getting around that?

frobn
10-14-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure what the concern is for duplicating listings... In the MLS we are a part of, the data to filter includes a field for the office ID and the agent ID, allowing you to select those as featured listings if you wish.... If the concern is to be sure that your not duplicating in the event of a price change, etc.. , a field exists for selecting active, sold, changeprice, etc. ..

I know you can code for all of these things, it takes time and priorities. As we gain more experience with it we will shape it to our needs.

Are you experiencing the slow down that others have reported with having many listings in the database, and if so how are you getting around that?

Yes, I experience an initial wait of about 30 seconds then everything loads quickly. I don't know what others from different areas are experiencing and I would appreciate feedback.

If you clear the tables, does that mean that listing
http://websidedesigns.com/listingvi...?listingID=8312

next week might be a different property?

Ah, I hadn't thought about this but that is what happens. Looks like I will have to make some changes in how features such as favorites work. We should be able to change them to the MLS # which remains constant.

Thanks again for the feedback

Regards,
Frank

ereed
10-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Frank,

I apologize if I seemed to say something was wrong. Our MLS in Michigan charges $5 / month for access to the data, while the vendors selling IDX solutions are charging $80-100/ month for a solution plus up front costs, so I have been working on trying to set up my own MLS import solution for sometime.

You are much farther along then where I am, and like you I am not a programmer, nor am I a web designer, just a realtor trying to find a more effective solution.

I've thought that importing and downloading the images was going to be the more difficult part, and I was planning only on using a single image for each listing to keep it simple.

I've noticed that you have multiple images available, are you importing these from the MLS, and was it more difficult than handling the raw data? How did you link them to the listing??

Again, looks great, and if you get your site finished and want to look at another set of data to get a sense of what might be neccessary to sell your solution to others, let me know, I'd be happy to give you a sample file of data.

If you get that far, and can offer a resonably priced solution to end my misery of trying to do it myself, let me know as well. Sometimes the best solution is hiring the right person to get something done.

Congrats again!

Ed

frobn
10-14-2004, 01:08 PM
Our MLS in Michigan charges $5 / month for access to the data, while the vendors selling IDX solutions are charging $80-100/ month for a solution plus up front costs, so I have been working on trying to set up my own MLS import solution for sometime.

This is exactly why we developed our own IDX solution. Our intent was to offer the IDX solution at a reasonable cost to web developers and realtors without any recurring monthly or yearly fees. I have had a few inquiries and we are looking at other MLSs for development. During our introductory phase the cost is in $300 range for an OR integrated approach.

Thanks again for your comments.
Frank

lgambrell
02-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Which approach did you end up using and were you successful? I am looking at importing data via IDX, any insight would be helpful?

frobn
02-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Which approach did you end up using and were you successful? I am looking at importing data via IDX, any insight would be helpful?

We are close to a solution for version 2, but it is recommended that it be used for production sites until it is at least of alpha which should be soon.

We experience several server problems last week and ended up changing hosts and our test site at broadwaykeys.com is being reconstructed on the new server. It will be up soon.

frobn
02-24-2005, 08:36 AM
We experience several server problems last week and ended up changing hosts and our test site at broadwaykeys.com is being reconstructed on the new server. It will be up soon.

IT'S HERE AND WORKING!

A fully integrated IDX/MLS solution demo for OR version 2 at http://broadwaykeys.com/search.html. I would appreciate feedback.

It still lacks several features and I am still reconstructing the links casused by a server failure last week but the IDX is working.

It's not too early to play for version 2

Paul Heery
03-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Frank,

When I click on a property, the screen flashes with:

Notice: Undefined variable: file_name in /home/frobn/public_html/broadwaykeys-com/include/images.inc.php on line 777

Notice: Undefined variable: file_name in /home/frobn/public_html/broadwaykeys-com/include/images.inc.php on line 777

Notice: Undefined variable: file_name in /home/frobn/public_html/broadwaykeys-com/include/images.inc.php on line 778

jared
03-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Nice approach Frank; I love it. Good job. I just finished a few sites with MLS/IDX myself. Somewhat similar approach, but I'm using an import script.

Keep us posted.
Jared.

frobn
03-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Frank,

When I click on a property, the screen flashes with:

Notice: Undefined variable: file_name in /home/frobn/public_html/broadwaykeys-com/include/images.inc.php on line 778

Thanks Paul, I need to check that out, it seems to happen only on properties that do not have an image and I think I saw a bug report about that.

frobn
03-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Nice approach Frank; I love it. Good job. I just finished a few sites with MLS/IDX myself. Somewhat similar approach, but I'm using an import script.

Keep us posted.
Jared.

Thanks Jared. What type of import script. We are importing the fields from IDX and converting the fields to open-realty. Are you doing something different?

nx7t
03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Working on getting something up with local MLS/IDX. Have authorization to pull data, got to figure out what to do with it!!!

Help! HELP!

mojomike
03-25-2005, 03:15 AM
IT'S HERE AND WORKING!

A fully integrated IDX/MLS solution demo for OR version 2 at http://broadwaykeys.com/search.html. I would appreciate feedback.

You did a great job,
send me a note since most likely I will need to have the same thing done

Michael