PDA

View Full Version : New Developer Site

king
11-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Hello,
Well after a couple of weeks of modifying this great script, the Rental/Leasing subsection of our site is now complete. :D

While not being a 100% real estate site, I still found this to be a great and very usefull script, simply because of the simplicity of adding new listings, and once modified, I found it to be very eye pleasing and a refresher from our old section.

You can view the new section here:

http://www.kingandbenton.com/leasing

(if you want to see what I upgraded from, you can find the old section here: http://www.kingandbenton.com/rentals.php )

I think the new one looks much better :D

Eric

RealEstate
11-26-2004, 12:43 PM
The site looks great! Cheers to you.

marb
11-26-2004, 02:14 PM
That look ferry nice!

Marten :)

tsguitar2004
11-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it looks much better. The organization is nicer this way. But it comes across as a site implanted into an already existing site. It doesn't feel like a unified site. Header information is repeated, menus look and act different, and image treatment is *very* different. Here are some specifics:

No need to have "King & Benton - Rental & Leasing" when the header graphic already contains your company title, in the company font with the company slogan. I'd change that to just read "Rental & Leasing" and use a similar font treatment as your company name (ampersand gray and use the same font style, no drop shadow). These listings should integrate with and look a part of, not repeat and stand away from, what is already there.

Having two "Home" menu items on a page is confusing.

The main content areas of all your new pages have about a 5 pixel shift underneath the big header image on the left side and about a 2 pixel shift on the right side. The old site didn't have that problem.

The rollover effect for the top menu is different than the effect for the side menu. Now, they don't have to be the exact same colors, but the effect should be the same to present a unified experience on your site. Don't set up an expectation of menu items at the top and then change that expectation on the side. It's frustrating.

Your top menu items: great idea, but rollover "Contact" and "Re-Development." The left sides of those two items look very different than (and out of alignment with) the other menu items. Looks like those rollovers need some work. If you used CSS for that, it's probably just a width declaration that's off. If you used images, just recreate the images cropped correctly.

Your side menu items: the rollover effect is not consistent *at all*. "Home" clearly acts as if you've pressed a button (the actual text seems to drop down) while "Search" and "Warehouses" do nothing but change color. "Land," "Offices," and "Contact Us" shift to the left (to varying degrees) while "Disclaimer" shifts to the right.

The images as menu items at the bottom is not a good idea, I don't think. Also, the embossed edges on those images don't look that great to me. Clean lines seem to be what this site goes for and that embossing contrasts with the rest of the site. Look at the images on your header. No embossing there. In fact, no other images on the site are treated this way.

Try to make this all look like part and parcel of the same site. It's looking fragmented right now. That will make this even better. You've got the basics in place, but I still see some work that needs to be done.
-ts

king
11-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Thank you for your inputs.

Mareb & Real Estate thanks for your input. BTW both of you have helped me a great deal (indirectly by reading your past postings). Much appreciated.

Tsguitar2004 thank you very much for your constructive criticizm. I appreciate the great detail you put into reviewing the site. I played around with it, and took a lot of your advice and fixed up most of the problems.

My main issue was that I wasn't the original designer of the site, and the whole site was done with tables. (My first problem was that until a month ago I had never designed a site, or even coded html lol... but I am a coder and I jumped right in). The problem that I ran into modifying this site, is that not only were tables used, but every table had a background image with the right 5px (approx) being black. This is why when I just made my tables 770px like the rest of the site, it looked to big. When I scaled it down to 762px it was too small. I couldn't figure out what was going on until this morning, when I added my own background image to the body, and an extra column to the footer. I think everything else fits now.

The other problem is that I didn't know what fonts were used for the title and buttons, and so I had to guess. I don't think I even have the same font on my machine, so using photo shop I copied and pasted the ampersand and the letter 'e' to try to match both titles (I hope its not noticable lol).

Here is the updated version:

King & Benton Leasing Section (http://www.kingandbenton.com/leasing/)

Any ways, I think it looks better now and like I mentioned earlier, thank you for the input. Any more comments would be appreciated.

Also another quick question. This is really nothing to do with open-realty, but I noticed that the pages that I did recode (leasing section & announcements) when they are in 1024x768 they look fine, but when viewed at 800x600 there is a horizontal scroll bar (that doesn't even really scrolll). This only occurs on the pages I coded... any ideas why?

the_padre
11-29-2004, 04:28 PM
Well done! A really nice looking site, and very user friendly, too. I hope that we at UKPN can develope our site to such a high standard as you've done in the near future.

Happy Christmas

The Padre

tsguitar2004
11-29-2004, 05:01 PM
Much better than the first effort.

You're still having trouble with your schitzophrenic menu rollovers. Again, some drop down, some move left, and still others don't move at all. The behavior there should imitate the behavior on the main nav bar; that is, simply change color with no motion at all.

Also, the main menu items says "Rental / Leasing" and the page header says "Rental & Leasing." That bothers me a bit.

Are you in charge of the whole site? The header information on other pages isn't consitent, either. And the Rental/Leasing page is the only one with a side bar navigation like that. It still makes that page look like it's another site that's been dropped into the main site.

Much better this time, though! Good work.
-ts

king
11-30-2004, 10:29 AM
Padre thanks for the comments.

TS the buttons have been fixed. :D They don't dance around anymore.

Also, thanks for the suggestion, I changed the Rental/Leasing button in the main menu to Rental & Leasing (I do think it does look much better this way).

As far as the site, yes I am in charge of the whole site. I didn't develop the site, just slowly giving it a make over.

So far I've only changed the following:

http://www.kingandbenton.com/rentals.php to http://www.kingandbenton.com/leasing

and

http://www.kingandbenton.com/news/ to http://www.kingandbenton.com/webnews/ (Now before you tell me, I know in the webnews section, there is no margin between the story content and the side bar... I'm still working on it, but like I mentioned before, up to 3 weeks ago I've never touched css, php or even html for that matter, so I'm still working on figuring stuff out lol)

TS:
As far as the Rental & Leasing section looking like a separate site, well I was sort of going for that effect. Rental & Leasing is just one part of our company's business and since the site was already designed, I could only place the OR into the one section. Hence why I have opted for the vertical menu. I guess it doesn't really flow with the rest of the site but to me looks like the only real practical solution since I did want to use OR to give me the opportunity to easily update the section and allow it to grow along with our company.

As far as the headers go, I'm not sure what you mean when you mention that they are inconsistent. Can you pleasy elaborate. (Personally, I don't like any of the headers, I think it is a waste of space to have the header taking up half the page. Makes the viewer scroll down on every single page just to see the content)

Well thank you everyone, for your comments and suggestions. Keep them comming, they are much appreciated.

Eric

tsguitar2004
11-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Ah! I don't mean the header image. I actually like that just fine (though they are a tad tall, I agree with you there). I'm talking about this:
click on a link and look at the first thing in bold on the actual content page. Some of them start with the name of the company, followed by the page title. Some of them have just the page title. Others have a page title similar to the navigation title, but not the same. Development and Re-development have a content header that begins with the name of the company. Logistics and First Nations do not. Announcements and Press Releases don't have a page header at all. Contact is "Contacts." And, of course, the page you've added OR to has a graphic element as the header text followed by colored text as the content header (something *no* other page has--every other pages just has black text up there), part of what's making it look so different than every other page. Also, the actual page <title>s are not consistent, either. Take a look at what the titles are and you'll see what I mean.

Make more sense?
-ts