PDA

View Full Version : Edit the listingsearch

pacosanz
12-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Hiii people!!!!!!

Sorry my terrible english!!
Iīm from Valencia, Spain, but now i live in Bariloche, Argentina.

I have a customer (www.andrearealestate.com.ar/inmo/listingsearch.php (http://www.andrearealestate.com.ar/inmo/listingsearch.php)) that want to edit the aspect of the listingsearch (Buscador).

HOW CAN I DOOOO!!!!!! PLEASE???!!!!

Is too much dificult to me, please, can some one help me???

Thanks,
Francisco Sanz

tsguitar2004
12-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Is there text on the page that needs to be edited or something? I'm not sure what aspect of the page you need to edit so I can't really help you. Also, the actual PHP file would be helpful in terms of actually debugging anything.

So, more specifics on what you want to do, please.
-ts

pacosanz
12-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks TS!!!!!

The aspect that i would like, is more.... aling, more centered!!!

Something like this:
www.bookspain.co.uk/advanced_property_search.php (http://)

I donīt know how!
Donīt works for me!!!!!

tsguitar2004
12-17-2004, 03:25 AM
Well, there are all kinds of troubles with the code of your page. You've ended your HTML tags a total of at least three times. Your opening <html> should be toward the top of the file and the closing </html> should only appear once, at the end. The same goes for the <body> tag. You have "</body></html>" after each of your menus. That's not good and is probably causing the page to look very odd in some browsers. In addition, your "<!--DWLayoutTable-->" code appears twice on the page, complete with the beginning !DOCTYPE, another thing probably causing the page to look odd. Not only that, but all of those things completely defeat the purpose of even claiming a doctype!

On to your issue of aligning that form you have. You just want the whole form to be more centered and lined up on the page, right? Here are a few links:

Align the form using CSS:
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/forms.html
http://realworldstyle.com/forms.html
Align the form using tables:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/tables.html
http://www.mountaindragon.com/html/formtext.htm

I suggest coding a static version of the page (just use HTML to create the page on your desktop). Then, once you have the form looking the way you want it, apply the code to your listingsearch page.

Post back with questions.
-ts

pacosanz
12-17-2004, 09:00 AM
HI TS!!!!!!!
You are a master!!!

Many many thanks for the complete analysis of the site!!!!!!!!

But, one question more.
I canīt modify the "output" of the listingsearch. The alignment of these table is in style.php, rigth?????

What ever i do, its looks like the same!!!!

Buaaaaa!!!!!!

tsguitar2004
12-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Can you give a link to your listingsearch.php code? Just change the extension on the page to "txt" instead of "php" so I can look at it. Post it somewhere convenient for me to glance at it. I'm actually not sure where the code is for the search results. I don't use the search feature. If you can post it, I can look at what functions are called. I've modified my versions of the site that I don't know what the default functions are.

One way to find out is to go into style.php somewhere you *think* is processing the code and just type a few numbers into an "echo" or something. If you do a search, then look at the code in the results page and find those numbers, you know that's the place that formats the results. See what I'm saying?

Did those links help you at all?
-ts

pacosanz
12-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi TS!!!!!

First at all, THANKS!!!!!!

Is dificult to me edit the styles.php!
And witch ones??? The styles.php from the "generic" directory? Or the other, in the "vertical-menu"???? witch ones control the output of the listingsearch????

I send to you, at the private, the link to my listingsearch.txt

Bye TS, and many many many thanks!!!!!
Have a nice saturday nigth!!!!

Francisco!

Can you give a link to your listingsearch.php code? Just change the extension on the page to "txt" instead of "php" so I can look at it. Post it somewhere convenient for me to glance at it. I'm actually not sure where the code is for the search results. I don't use the search feature. If you can post it, I can look at what functions are called. I've modified my versions of the site that I don't know what the default functions are.

One way to find out is to go into style.php somewhere you *think* is processing the code and just type a few numbers into an "echo" or something. If you do a search, then look at the code in the results page and find those numbers, you know that's the place that formats the results. See what I'm saying?

Did those links help you at all?
-ts

tsguitar2004
12-19-2004, 12:29 AM
Whoa boy! There's all kinds of trouble in your code. How familiar with HTML are you? You have multiple tables within tables within tables; table rows within table rows. It's a serious mess, as I've said before. That's the reason you can't get anything done.

I'll need to see your code for searchbox_fpulldown (found within your "generic/style.php" file) to walk you through it, but you need to go in there and clean the code up. The biggest problem area is around "Provincia." You've aligned that TD tag left; make it "align=right."

The reason the select box for Provincia isn't on the same line as the word Provincia is because you ended the table row. Tell you what... Find the following code in your page:

<tr>
<td align="left">
<table>
<tr><td align="center" valign="top">
<b>Provincia</b>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left">

That should all read:

<tr>
<td align="right">
<b>Provincia</b></td>
<td align="left">
<select name="state[]">

Now the PHP that writes all that is one of the searchbox functions in your style.php file.

Really, you need to hire someone to clean the code up. We might be able to work something out if you'd like to consider me to do such a task. Let me know. Otherwise, look at your searchbox functions and see if you can find the code I told you to look for above.

And that Flash file you've included at the top of each page is causing my otherwise very stable Mac to crash. It's causing my PC to chug along. Just so you know, it's making your site sluggish and you may want to look into getting rid of it to improve performance.

Good luck and post back.
-ts

tsguitar2004
12-19-2004, 12:57 AM
Oh, one more thing that's causing that page to take so long and lag in terms of loading is the insanely long option list you have for price. Please, get rid of that and just have the user type in a price range. Either that or make your options price ranges. That code take a long, long, long time to load and that equals real money that you or your client have to pay in terms of used bandwidth. That option list has got to go and another choice needs to be implemented. Seriously, that's going to cause problems. But, that's just my opinion...
-ts

pacosanz
12-20-2004, 09:07 AM
HI TS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How are you???? fine i hope???!!!!

Okay, seems i have a LOOOOTT of troubles!!!!!!! jajaj.

Ts, that things you ask me to do, i will do in the styles.php or in my listingsearch file?? I canīt found thi code in my listingsearch!!

Whoa boy! There's all kinds of trouble in your code. How familiar with HTML are you? You have multiple tables within tables within tables; table rows within table rows. It's a serious mess, as I've said before. That's the reason you can't get anything done.

I'll need to see your code for searchbox_fpulldown (found within your "generic/style.php" file) to walk you through it, but you need to go in there and clean the code up. The biggest problem area is around "Provincia." You've aligned that TD tag left; make it "align=right."

The style.php is the same its comes with the original program (1.15)
Would you like to give an .txt file????

The reason the select box for Provincia isn't on the same line as the word Provincia is because you ended the table row. Tell you what... Find the following code in your page:

<tr>
<td align="left">
<table>
<tr><td align="center" valign="top">
<b>Provincia</b>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left">

That should all read:

<tr>
<td align="right">
<b>Provincia</b></td>
<td align="left">
<select name="state[]">

Now the PHP that writes all that is one of the searchbox functions in your style.php file.

All you said here, i will do in de style.php, rigth??????

Really, you need to hire someone to clean the code up. We might be able to work something out if you'd like to consider me to do such a task. Let me know. Otherwise, look at your searchbox functions and see if you can find the code I told you to look for above.

The reason of this: my programer go to live at spain, and i has to do the work of him.
Now iīm searching a good programer!!!

And that Flash file you've included at the top of each page is causing my otherwise very stable Mac to crash. It's causing my PC to chug along. Just so you know, it's making your site sluggish and you may want to look into getting rid of it to improve performance.

Good luck and post back.
-ts

The customer wants the flash banner, and if the customer wants, the customer gets!!!! jajjajaj.

TS many thanks, you are a genius!!!!!!!!

Francisco!

tsguitar2004
12-20-2004, 01:33 PM
Well, I can take care of some of this for you. The changes I suggest should be made in style.php, yes. If you want to send me a link to style.php, I can look into it. I'd also need a link to listingsearch.txt again, so I can see what's happening there. As I see other problems, I'l ignore them and focus on making your seach page aligned. It's just a few stray lines of HTML generated, but I'll need to track them down, first.
-ts

pacosanz
12-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Hi winner!!!!!

Here are the links:
www.andrearealestate.com.ar/inmo/listinsearch.txt (http://www.andrearealestate.com.ar/inmo/listinsearch.txt)
www.andrearealestate.com.ar/inmo/template/generic/style.txt (http://www.andrearealestate.com.ar/inmo/template/generic/style.txt)

Okay TS, you are a master!!! Many thanks!!!!!

Do you want to send me at my email adress?????

Well, I can take care of some of this for you. The changes I suggest should be made in style.php, yes. If you want to send me a link to style.php, I can look into it. I'd also need a link to listingsearch.txt again, so I can see what's happening there. As I see other problems, I'l ignore them and focus on making your seach page aligned. It's just a few stray lines of HTML generated, but I'll need to track them down, first.
-ts

tsguitar2004
12-20-2004, 05:34 PM
www.toddseal.com/style.txt

BACK UP YOUR STYLE.PHP FILE BEFORE INSTALLING MINE! I cannot be responsible if you don't back up and the result is disasterous. That being said, go get the copy of style.txt I've posted for you; rename it style.php and, after you back up your copy of style.php, upload it into your directory. That *should* do it, but I need to see the results to have a better idea.

Let me say, again, that Flash bit at the top is bogging the site down. Any way to redesign that so it's not so large? Also, your option list is also causing the site to bog down. Please, please, please consider changing that list to be a few price ranges instead of $1000 increments.

I'm really curious, so post back with results!
-ts

P.S. The other problems with your site I left alone and focused on fixing your search area. But there's still a lot of work to be done. Someone has gone into style.php and really messed with things; whoever was there before did a poor job, I'm sorry to say.