PDA

View Full Version : French Property Site

limey
01-20-2005, 04:29 PM
Well, with a lot of help from the most excellent people on these forums (especially TomBones), our French property site is almost finished. I havn't actually finished off the static pages yet (like new build, about us etc) but they will all take the style of the index and search pages.

I just wondered if any of you had any opinions or advice to give. If anyone wishes to know how anything was accomplished on the website, I'd be happy to direct them to the threads which helped me :D

French Property Testing Site (http://test.locationfrance.co.uk)

tombones
01-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Two things come to mind right away. First, center the column on the homepage containing the featured listings. Second, in the listing browse you might want to go in and replace the $thumb_file_name in the alt"" with something like "Click for more information or alter the sql to det $title. A small mod to that code I gave you could do that. if you make the alt look like this --> alt=\"<? getTitleRaw($current_ID); ?>\" the title should appear in the mouseover.

Change that code to --> alt=\"",getTitleRaw($current_ID),"\">

I can be such a lame brain some times.

Just a thought

tombones
01-20-2005, 05:03 PM
As a matter of fact I would make it a point to replace the alt in both the photo and no photo sections

limey
01-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks Tom, that's actually something that I had thought of and will most definately do ;) There are a few little mods like that, and the one you gave me for the title of property pages which should work wonders for SEO.

When you say centre the featured listings column, do you mean that you would place the column in the center of the page, with the new-build and existing columns either side?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the constructive critisism. My partner and I are actually putting the site in action (me designing and her managing) so that we can advertise her fathers french estate agency to British customers. We're doing this so she can stay at home with our little boy as oppposed to going out to work, so I really want this to work, so please keep the comment coming. I want this spot on :D

I promise to donate to OR as soon as we get the site live, and start getting customers.

tombones
01-20-2005, 05:36 PM
No, I meant center the images in the column. My wife says nobody understands me the first time.

tombones
01-20-2005, 05:38 PM
OK, either my eyes were playing tricks on me earlier or you already fixed it. Otherwise it looks good.

limey
01-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Images are centered in the column, but I've only tested the site in internet explorer and firefox. Mabey a little strange moment lol.

limey
01-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I added:

alt=\"",getTitleRaw($current_ID),"\" title=\"",getTitleRaw($current_ID),"\">

To the thumbnail display, so that firefox displays the mouse over descriptions as well as internet explorer.

RealEstate
01-24-2005, 04:19 PM
I like the cool clean colors and layout.

tombones
01-24-2005, 04:42 PM
More efficient to run the function only once per listing like this:

$mouseovertxt = getTitleRaw($current_ID);

Then you can use the variable over and over like:

...alt=\"$mouseovertxt\" title=\"$mouseovertxt\">";

It does save some resources

tombones
01-24-2005, 08:16 PM
thank you for reminding me of that. There was a big "geek brawl" over the issue of the purpose of alt vs. title. Most folks have used alt to display mouseover tooltips for so long it has become a defacto standard. That is why IE displays it. One of the first extensions made available for firefox 1.0 was to display the alt. I installed it to make the web useful again. Because of that I had forgotten that the "standard" called for title instead of alt. Maybe the standards advocates here will be good enough to spend a day bringing OR into compliance.

limey
01-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Aye. Internet Explorer abuses the 'alt' tag by displaying it as a mouse over tooltip (when I believe it's supposed to display alternate text in abscence of image). As you say, the correct way to display a tooltip is by using the 'title' tag. I guess people can be forgiven for making the mistake though, as IE has (well, and still is) been the leading browser for years now, using 'alt' in this manner has become common every day practice in web design.

I do agree however that given the rise of alternative browser usage (especially Firefox) the OR dev team could do to impliment 'title' tags in a future install.

frobn
01-25-2005, 11:23 AM
I do agree however that given the rise of alternative browser usage (especially Firefox) the OR dev team could do to impliment 'title' tags in a future install.

I believe this has already been done for ver2. I did a quick search for "alt" in ver2 files. The "alt" appears to be used ONLY with images. Title tags are used in the navigation menu in main.html. There may very well be an alt tag being used like in the mouseover modifiction you did but I didn't come across any. Do you know of any places where the title tags should be used and are not?

limey
01-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Hi frobn

My personal opinion is that 'title' tags should be used anywhere the code author wishes to have a mouse over description as opposed to an 'alt' tag. 'alt' tags (again in my opinion, please feel free to discuss) should only be used to demonstrate the content of an image when either the image fails to load or the user is browsing your web site with a text only browser.

For instance - in the default OR distribution, the featured listings thumbnails are given the following 'alt' attribute:

alt="Click to learn more..."

I'm guessing that the author of the code put this tag in for the purpose of raising a description box over the image when a user hovers their mouse over the image - promting them to click to learn more about the featured image. I guess that if the code author had wanted the 'alt' tag to do what it's supposed to the code would read thus:

alt="Featured Listing Image" title="Click to learn more..."

It's a small point I guess, but using the 'alt' and 'title' attributes properly should lead to better site usability and better search engine optimisation, and also helps with cross browser compatibility.

frobn
01-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi limey,

limey wrote

...using the 'alt' and 'title' attributes properly should lead to better site usability and better search engine optimisation, and also helps with cross browser compatibility.

Thank you for your explanation. You points are excellent and changing the code would be trivial compared to the increased usability benefits.

limey
01-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Thankyou frobn,

I'm not a professional web designer by any means, but I'm always learning :) It would be a waste not to do such a simple thing properly......

I wonder if you'd mind taking a look at my site whilst you're here and giving me any opinions that you may have about how to make it better :D I get too bogged down in them and 'can't see the wood from the trees' any-more.

frobn
01-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Thankyou frobn,

I'm not a professional web designer by any means, but I'm always learning :) It would be a waste not to do such a simple thing properly......

I wonder if you'd mind taking a look at my site whilst you're here and giving me any opinions that you may have about how to make it better :D I get too bogged down in them and 'can't see the wood from the trees' any-more.

Hi Limey,

I am waiting for the final version 2 and then I plan to submit some usability tweaks.

Re: your web site. The layout is unclutter which I prefer. I am a css advocate but not a fanatic. I encourage css where it will benefit the site. For your site I would redo the header using css to take advantage of search engines. Besides the search engine benefit, the most important part of a web site is what is in the header because it is the first thing a visitor sees. You have several seconds to grab that visitor's attention. You can take advantage of this by using styled text that loads quickly to tell the visitor what you are about.

I have written several similar posts:

http://support.open-realty.org/show...21657#post21657

and http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?t=4493

and http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?t=4586

If you want I will rewrite your header for you in css in exchange for a link from your site.

Regards,
Frank

limey
01-26-2005, 07:34 PM
I'll definately take a look at the CSS Frank. It's something that I'm trying to familiarise myself with better.

Just to pick up one of the SEO improvements earlier in this thread, I've discovered that you can also change the link which reads 'more info' on the property listings page to display the property title it is linking to instead. This should give your searchengineability another shot in the arm.

<a href=\"listingview.php?listingID=$current_ID\">",getTitleRaw($current_ID)," (Full Listing)</a>

cmeesoon
06-18-2005, 03:07 PM
When I use any of these alt mods I always get this error:

"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: gettitleraw()"

why is it that I get this error?