PDA

View Full Version : Something different to do :D

cmeesoon
02-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Thought I should ask this here first and see if someone might be interested in making some $ to do this.... My problem is that I have a realty site and I also am starting a local publication 'Digest size 5.5 x 8.5' ...and I am already selling and taking orders -but- some of the customers have asked if I will be offering them the same online advertising setup that the "The Real Estate Book" publication has where they can log in and set up their photo's and descriptions so I said !@#$.... I guess this is something I need to offer my customers....soooooo..... here is the scope of work to be done:

1). integrate a single page that allows the "theme" select mod 'here from this sites mod section' that will make the changes on that page only.
2). drop box to select main image borders/shadows.
3). a way to individually call/select which listing "'image w/(editable) full description'" will go into each area (thinking I would use an 'enter listing ID form' per area because this would force them to have already listed the property on my site first =) ...some theme pages would be setup for 8 images some 12 or 15 depending on theme chosen...I can always create multiple variations of themes once the first one is done.
4). and then finally the end product, would have to be submitted to me via email in a PDF so that I could proof it with my printer and the client.

I really want to do this "within OR" and not have to use another 3rd party application if its at all possible....

Thanks in advance :)

cmeesoon
02-02-2005, 11:56 PM
thinking this over a bit more made me realize that each photo would have to be uploaded separately to the individual area because the thumbnail maker would have/need to render differently per sized area to obtain maximum quality right? example - a (6) image theme would need thumbs sized larger than a (15) image theme.....maybe it would be better to consider a 3rd party script?

tombones
02-03-2005, 12:23 AM
Just to mention: Any print application of any kind needs at least 300 dpi resolution or the image looks like...

My 2 cents

cmeesoon
02-03-2005, 08:14 AM
true ....and that is the min that my printing company will accept ...so any ideas? maybe this will require a Flash interface....I'll do some research today and see what I can find because I need this within the next 2 weeks.

ltp
02-03-2005, 09:47 AM
a flash interface is not going to do anything different... so why the flash interface thought?

utilizing ImageMagick you can get the resolution and also change the resolution. the only thing that would need to happen is to have access to it on your box.

Now as for what you are trying to accomplish could be scripted into OR, although it seems like it would be best handled as a standalone product.

tombones
02-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Actually none of it is all that complex. Getting a proof quality pdf requires paying close attention to the source page. To send to your print house it is important to know if they work from postscript, disk to plate or camera. My 2 cents.

cmeesoon
02-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I have found this http://www.cnicorp.com:/CNI/adace.jsp and it is as close as I have come to finding exactly what I'm needing to have done....but I'm waiting on a price quote from them now.

Anyone wanting to take on this project can PM me for my IM or Phone# so that we can discuss this in more detail.

RealEstate
02-03-2005, 02:47 PM
How about using the "print listing" feature? This is already integrated into OR.

tombones
02-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I think you will find the ad ace will offer all of what you are looking for (except perhaps the price - lol). One of my newspaper clients uses the AD Desk product and has had success. The only hitch will be if Ad Desk is required to run the Ad ace. Also the software at least requires a server java environment - maybe even a servlet engine such as Tomcat unless they are hosting it for you. Good luck. Again, my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, BTW, it will be hard for one of these enterprising folks to PM you since you have PM disabled in you user CP.

cmeesoon
02-04-2005, 12:07 AM
sorry.....all PM options fixed now :D

I have also left message with this company http://www.doodlelab.com/demo.html - then click on "My Album Maker" Demo...they show REMAX as one of their clients.....you know that this has got to be a lot of $ if it comes with source code ...which I doubt....but the concept is very clean and has to be one of the best ways I have seen yet....probably out of my budget :(

The more I look around the more I think that it shouldn't be to difficult to make something like what I said in the first post......I must have tried 7 demos today and spent a small fortune on Int. phone calls and I have narrowed it down to Ad ace, doodlelab, Spyder for Indesign or just doing it as a project with someone here.........

:)

tombones
02-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Here are a few reasons you might want to pass on this one. It is unlikely to produce the quality you want since it is intended to print from an inkjet. Secondly flash 5 is far from universal (firefox users even have to download it). Since it is flash the popups it throws for image uploads get blocked by the popup blockers that are more popular than flash.

Lastly it is unfortunate that those here are seemingly considered something of a last resort to do this project - go figure.

Good luck.

jared
02-06-2005, 01:27 PM
A couple of thoughts.

Honestly I'd use Adobe PageMaker for the print publication. I have assembled many, many publications in this application and the learning curve is short.

Another thing, I'd consider using an online PDF generator or PHP's native PDF functions. With PHP Native functions you would design PDF templates and fill them with dynamic data producing a completed document. If you want someone to have quality prints and to preserve colors PDF would be a better way to go.

I'll PM you with other details.
Jared.

xtremexcorp
02-08-2005, 09:50 AM
For this particular project we estimate costs to be around $1,500-$2,000. We will be willing to start the project if you accept to our terms. We will require an initial downpayment/deposit of $499.99. Please email sales@xtremex.com for more info.