PDA

View Full Version : Just Spain Listing Site

lasor
02-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Hi All

I have now just about completed my new site and would be grateful for any feedback.

A big thank you to both Ican & Tombones for their assistance in getting this site working they have both been a major help and without them this would not have been possible.

Please note this site is live so no testing please.

Address removed due to high number of test accounts !!

Thanks to all for their assistance

Lasor

Baldy
02-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Looks Good! Almost the same as AWT is showing!
You may won't to check out the links for (Privacy Policy + Terms of use) there dead!
What else do i have for you? "Nothing but Admiration"...
Great Job.

lasor
02-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks Baldy

I am aware of the links that are not working (Privacy Policy + Terms of use) as I am currently working on these areas.

Thank you for your comments they are very much appreciated.

Lasor

RealEstate
02-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Very nice use of the template you bought.

The lastest listings on the left side is a great idea.

Your calculator pops up faster than many other OR sites using the same calculator. Did you do something different?

How did you integrate the quick search into the home page?

RealEstate
02-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Using Win XP IE 6.0 and 800x600

The latest listings - I noticed that the image of the first property has the word "bedrooms" next to it at about the same top height.

But the second listing has the word "2 bedrooms" much higher than the picture.

Is a small detail, but i wanted to point it out to you. Do you know why is doing this?

lasor
02-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Using Win XP IE 6.0 and 800x600

The latest listings - I noticed that the image of the first property has the word "bedrooms" next to it at about the same top height.

But the second listing has the word "2 bedrooms" much higher than the picture.

Is a small detail, but i wanted to point it out to you. Do you know why is doing this?

Hi I believe this is due to the size of the pic, it is bigger in high than the one below. I am looking to auto resize the thumbs so that they are set to a maximum high.

Lasor

RealEstate
02-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Maybe the pic location is set to center or default.
Try "top".

This way the picture is always leveled with the side text.

tsguitar2004
02-08-2005, 05:50 PM
My first thought is that it's fine.

My next thoughts are that it's way too cluttered, like most other OR sites end up being. I don't like the Just Spain logo image; that font is very plain and uninspired. Why the faded image of the house above "Featured Listings"? You have the image of the arches above "Members Area" (which should be "Member's Area" or "Members' Area" since it's possessive), but I don't see why you have that image, either. There's really not a unifying motif to the site, but rather a bunch of elements thrown together on the page.

It will probably serve your purpose fine and I'm sure you won't turn off users, but from a design standpoint, there's some work to be done. You have the top navigation elements that look sort of like they are made of candy, with the slight fade on the image giving it a rounded look. But your other navigation backgrounds don't look like that. Also, your other navigation uses a white, serif font where your main nav uses a black, san-serif font style. Get that serif / san-serif thing sorted out. I'm not a fan of using both on the site you have currently. It looks like a coding mistake, even though it may be on purpose.

And if the featured listings aren't on the home page, are they really "featured"? A semantic issue, sure, but it still bugs me.

I'd like to see a cohesive color scheme to this site. Right now, it's several different colors that all sort of relate and don't clash, but there's really no color scheme to speak of. And the background image doesn't help things any. You've got about 7 or 8 different colors used on the page at a time and there's nothing to tie that all in together.

You have little icons in the Quick Search form, but you don't do that anywhere else, not even on the search page. On the Buy, Rent, Search, and Advertise pages, there's a bit of orange to the left of the top page graphic, the one that says "Properties for Rent" and such. I think you just don't have that image the correct width, so it's showing a bit of something behind it (I'm on a Mac using NS7). And when I click on "Buy," I expect to see the word "Buy" somewhere in that top page graphic, not "Sale." "Contacts" doesn't have that page graphic at all. With "Search" and "Advertise," the page image starts with that word; with "Buy" and "Rent," the page image starts with a different word.

The buttons created for the listingview pages ("Tell A Friend" and the rest) do not look as high quality as the other buttons on the page. They aren't the same treatment (the fade is completely different), they have a blue border on them (due to the "<a href"), and they are hard to read (white text on top of a white fade is a bad idea). You may want to simply replace those with more styled text links.

It's all these little things that reflect in a more professional finished product. Overall, the site's fine, as I said, but it's not terribly impressive. What would make it so would be more time given to the actual design of the site, not just the functionality. You've obviously spent time there. It's the design that needs to be massaged a bit more.

And can someone please tell me why we want to encourage the micro-font date stamp at the top right of the screen? How is that useful at all? I always argue for the removal of that. It serves no purpose from what I can see. If you had a form that required the user to enter the date, then it might help. If that was the date the site was last updated, then it might help. If it's just to tell me what today is, I am not visiting your site for a calendar. I've got that up on the wall or on my watch or on my computer or I don't care. I just don't get it...
-ts