PDA

View Full Version : Version 3.02?? What's current?

drpatt
06-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Through a series of links I found myself at www.jonroig.com and saw OpenRealty 3.02. What the hey? I just found 1.07 and, from this forum, it looks like the current version. What is this 3.02? It even has a separate support forum that looks just like this one.

RealtyOne
06-15-2003, 02:46 AM
Having never used jons version(3.02) i dont know much about it but this is a fork of that same code.
For as long as i have been playing with this for something to do Jons version has remained the same this on the other hand is moving ahead albeit slowly at times.
Within reason i would imagine that the overall projects are simlar enough to be interwoven.

I believe there is also a slight variation in the names openrealty/open-realty

RealtyOne

Anonymous
06-15-2003, 02:12 PM
Jon's was the original that this fork sprang from.

They are like two sides of the same coin.

As the other poster mentioned, Jon seems to have lost personal interest in his and moved on, while this one is more actively followed and bugs fixed.

I don't know which one is better, or how much has changed inside the files. Whichever one you feel most comfortable with is probably the best one for you to use.

greengiant
06-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Hi,

I origionally forked this from Jon 3.01 release, The 3.02 release was just a security fix, that we had already implimented..

Anonymous
06-22-2003, 08:32 PM
Actually the older version vasn't bad either.
BUT, it all boils down to GOOD search feature. I can't be with out it.

Anyway, I use to run forum and info at:
http://www.1axn.com/cgi-bin/openforum//ikonboard.cgi

You can still find some interesting mods there.

Have fun . . .

pfleming
06-22-2003, 11:09 PM
I forked it as well- but at version 2.6 and my numbering is from 2.6 forward. I did change the name to Free Realty (and am working on changing it throughout the code although there have been other priorities)
My fork with other mods is at http://www.rwcinc.net/freerealty complete with a pretty quiet mailing list.

RealtyOne
06-23-2003, 01:28 AM
There are so many nice forks to the original code its a shame they are not all combined to make one version of the program not just good but excellant.
Imagine how good the program could be with many people working towards the same goal.

pfleming
06-23-2003, 11:11 AM
The reason that 2.6 was forked and work continued by me (and those who use it) is that when Jon went from 2.x to 3.x the data structure was changed and there was no easy upgrade path for those of us already using the scripts in production. While I don't turn away 'new' users to the scripts, most users are the 'old' stubborn users who already had something that worked in place (and had data that was not that easy to migrate).
Admittedly, some of the changes to this script are parallel to the ongoing development here and by Jon. Some of the mods and changes have come from ideas at AXN's board, and some of the ideas have been discussed (and mods made) on Jon's board http://jonroig.com/freecode/phpBB . I only started my fork (and these are not the only two) from 2.6 due to the drastic changes between the 2.x series and the 3.x series. I didn't want to be left behind nor did I want to have to upgrade to the 3.x structure. As I wasn't the only one- you can find tpics such as continued 2.x development, etc on Jon' board- I took it upon myself to host the fork. I have een done most of the work, but find satisfaction in doing so.

As far as combining the features... hey it's all GPL, come get it. Look at Mozilla, they have all kinds of forks.