PDA

View Full Version : I would like to hire someone to work on my Open Realty site...

outdoorguy111
02-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Does anyone have a recommendation for who I should contact to code my site? Have you had a great experience with someone that knows their way around the Open Realty script and has a strong background in PHP?

Please PM me with your recommendation.

the_sandking
02-22-2005, 11:26 AM
You may want to be a little more specific regarding what you need to have done.. There are many capable people around here but each has their own strengths, weaknesses, and specialties.

outdoorguy111
02-22-2005, 12:17 PM
I think if the person has strong experience with the Open Realty script, php, mysql, and javascript they will be able to do the job.

The reason I am asking for 'references' is because I had paid a couple of people from this forum to work on my site but they didn't do the work. They wanted to be paid before the work started so I did. My BIG mistake.

RealEstate
02-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Ouch, that's bad that you lost money.

Recommendations:
1.Work a payment plan based on completed areas.

2.50% now and 50% when finished (of completed area)
For ex. Redising the home page would be considered an area.

3. Break down the areas, specified AAALLLLLL the details of whats expeceted and pricing terms.

This way, both the programmer and buyer have security, don't loose much if things don't work out, get a feel for each other.

Cheers.

tombones
02-22-2005, 05:04 PM
I always ask my clients this question before we even get into the project scope:

Do you agree that the number 1 problem in customer service is when the customer is uncertain of what he wants and then is disappointed when he does not get what he wants.?

Then we get on to specifics. Work should not commence until a proposal based on the conversations has been submitted and agreed upon.

This saves a multitude of headaches. Remember though in projects of this nature something always comes up. It is then that the reasonableness and professionalism of the 2 b2b participants is tested.

It is important to give some idea of the scope of the project when soliciting bids though. As was pointed out earlier in this thread. For instance I will not bid a project that calls for animation on the home page or something that runs counter to best practices simply because I would not be comfortable having my name associated with such things.

My 2 cents.

tysonh04
03-02-2005, 10:57 PM
I have a web hosting/design business and have a couple of clients that run Openrealty and I know PHP and can host your site for you.

http://gowebolution.com

http://ronharperrealty.com - Just started working on this one.

Tyson

dave
03-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Ouch, that's bad that you lost money.

Recommendations:
1.Work a payment plan based on completed areas.

2.50% now and 50% when finished (of completed area)
For ex. Redising the home page would be considered an area.

3. Break down the areas, specified AAALLLLLL the details of whats expeceted and pricing terms.

This way, both the programmer and buyer have security, don't loose much if things don't work out, get a feel for each other.

Cheers.

i havent checked the forums but this in itself seems like a good topic:
Suggestions and Recommendations for Hiring someone to do work for you

If I read some more suggestions, I think I will make a post just about this. What do you guys think?

tombones
03-04-2005, 07:43 PM
My 2 cents:

It seems that will likely lead to nothing but arguments as folks will suggest that their business model is best. Probably you will end up with a great deal of confusion since most folks will post what they feel they do best as the defining quality on which to base such decisions. When it all shakes out the best way to choose someone to do work for you is a subjective decision based on what is important to you. The best person for you may be the worst decision another might ever make.

For instance here is my rant. I do not engage myself in projects that involve animation or overloads of graphics. I do not do projects that run counter to what actually works for the purpose of generating new leads. On the other hand there those here who love to work on highly artistic and flashy sites. This means I am entirely unqualified to produce a n animated site for you while at the same time I am qualified to write complex information processing routines designed to manipulate data to any use.

One size fits all just doesn't work.

jared
03-05-2005, 09:25 PM
outdoorguy111;
I'd say thats good advise from tombones;

But being able to identify where a persons strengths are is a pretty good policy. I'm a psycho with photoshop DreamweaverMX and can pretty much make any template work with Open-Realty. But Flash is not what I would expect to be hired for nor the customization of the open-realty code beyond what open-realty is designed for.

My 2cents
Jared.