PDA

View Full Version : New Site - HomeZonebc.com

stewincanada
04-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Hi there - I have just posted my first effort using OR. Please take a look and let me know what you think. I am still working on a logo, and a couple of other aspects for the site.

Thanks to the developers, and the whole OR community for making this such a successful piece of software.

Enjoy.

http://homezonebc.com/index.php

Stewart

RealEstate
04-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Pretty nice..pretty nice.

I found some links not working.
http://homezonebc.com/members/listingview.php?listingID=82
http://homezonebc.com/members/listingview.php?listingID=90

stewincanada
04-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Pretty nice..pretty nice.

I found some links not working.
http://homezonebc.com/members/listingview.php?listingID=82
http://homezonebc.com/members/listingview.php?listingID=90

Thanks - I will check it out..I noticed this problem previously, and thought I had resolved it.
cheers
Stewart

original89
04-20-2005, 09:33 AM
how did you produce the summary showing number of listings in each town at the bottom of the main page.?

is that a mod?

RealEstate
04-21-2005, 11:45 AM
BTW, your listingview.php kicks AZZZ! Only thing missing is the printer page.

stewincanada
04-21-2005, 12:56 PM
I will look at th ecode that I used from the listings at the bottom, I don't htink I modded anything, but just copied some code from other parts of the application. From memory I think it was from one of the dropdown menus that was used on the search page.

On the listing view page I just added some code to the usertop, so that if you are viewing a listing the contact information/school info etc will show at the side.I did this to trim doen the length of each listing ( less scrolling).

wrt the printing - I am working on a print css stylesheet, so that you can just print the screen, although i may also revert back to a print friendly link also.

thanks for the comments

stewart

stewincanada
04-21-2005, 05:52 PM
how did you produce the summary showing number of listings in each town at the bottom of the main page.?

is that a mod?

The code I used was as follows adapted form function searchbox pulldown:

<?php
function displaycities ($browse_caption, $browse_field_name, $rental = "no")
{
// list of cities that have listings, and the number of listings in each location
global $conn, $config, $lang;
echo "<tr><td align=\"right\"><b>$browse_caption</b></td>";
echo "<td class='smallfieldcell' align=\"left\">";

$sql = "SELECT " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDBElements.field_value, " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDB.ID, count(field_value) AS num_type FROM " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDBElements, " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDB WHERE " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDBElements.field_name = '$browse_field_name' AND " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDB.active = 'yes' AND " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDBElements.listing_id = " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDB.ID ". $rental_str;
if ($config[use_expiration] == "yes")
{
$sql .= " AND expiration > ".$conn->DBDate(time());
}
$sql .= "GROUP BY " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDBElements.field_value ORDER BY " . $config[table_prefix] . "listingsDBElements.field_value";
$recordSet = $conn->Execute($sql);
$counttest=0;
if ($recordSet === false)
{
log_error($sql);
}
while (!$recordSet->EOF)
{
$field_output = make_db_unsafe ($recordSet->fields[field_value]);
$num_type = $recordSet->fields[num_type];
if (is_integer($counttest/4)) echo "<br>";
echo "<a href='".$config[baseurl]."/listing_browse.php?".$browse_field_name."=".$field_output."'>".$field_output." ($num_type)</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;";
//echo"<p><input type=\"checkbox\" name=\"$browse_field_name"."[]\" value=\"$field_output\">$field_output ($num_type)</p>";
$counttest++;
$recordSet->MoveNext();
} // end while
echo "</td></tr>";
} // end function displaycities
?>

This was put in as a new function in the style.php file.

regards
Stewart

miltboogie
04-22-2005, 12:39 AM
how do u call it on a page ?

stewincanada
04-22-2005, 02:00 AM
how do u call it on a page ?
insert the following code

displaycities ("","City","no");
I leave the first set of quotes empty, as I do not want a title, the second set picks up the City field, and the last one ignores rentals.

cheers

Fkatt
04-23-2005, 05:18 AM
Could I get your listing view file? I love that layout.

-Fkatt

AWT
04-23-2005, 06:27 PM
yeah thats a nice clean looking site, seems to work well, simple to use and easy get around

Phil_D
04-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Great site, very clean design. One question though. This looks like a free to post realty site. How do you plan to make money from it?

stewincanada
04-23-2005, 11:54 PM
FKatt

As soon as I clean up the code (I am not a seaonsed prgrammer by any means, which speaks to the clarity of the code, in fact this is the first time I have even looked at php) I am happy to make a copy of the listing view available. I will also post a copy of the usertop.html, as some of the code, such as the contact information shows up in that file. I have a couple of other priorities I have to deal with before then though, so it could be a week or so.

Phil D - It is only free for now. My plan is to use the next few months to iron out the wrinkles, and tinker with the SEO, as well as add a few more articles and features. ONce these things are sorted out, and the traffic inceases I will start to charge.

Thanks to all for the feedback, it has been helpful for me.
cheers
Stewart

accelz
04-24-2005, 09:22 PM
how did you make the region selection dynamic? I mean when you select the region it will fill the selection of city...

http://homezonebc.com/listingsearch.php

stewincanada
04-25-2005, 12:09 AM
how did you make the region selection dynamic? I mean when you select the region it will fill the selection of city...

http://homezonebc.com/listingsearch.php

Check out the solution in the thread http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?t=2484 I just adapted this code.

cheers
Stewart

AWT
04-25-2005, 01:04 AM
you should put in

...Please select as the default option

i totaly overlooked the option where by you select a region then select a area, very good mod , i definaly can use this on my site

can't you loose the city selection some how until a user selects a area, that whould look better than the default view of a emplty selection on first loading the page

timeforsmilin
04-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi Stew ... where are you in BC? I lived in Gibsons for 10, then the desert, then back to the coast.

Where did you find the javascript imgchange that you use in your listing view? Another thing you could help me with .... how did you change the title "Featured Listings" to "In the Spotlight"? The only thing I could find was some code that strips other code, and I figured that means renaming that section. Is that right?

How did you set up the alternating featured listings?

Not to forget .... you did some very cool things with your site!

Thanks,
Louis

stewincanada
04-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi Stew ... where are you in BC? I lived in Gibsons for 10, then the desert, then back to the coast.

Where did you find the javascript imgchange that you use in your listing view? Another thing you could help me with .... how did you change the title "Featured Listings" to "In the Spotlight"? The only thing I could find was some code that strips other code, and I figured that means renaming that section. Is that right?

How did you set up the alternating featured listings?

Not to forget .... you did some very cool things with your site!

Thanks,
Louis
I am in Vancouver, Gibsons would be nice though. The javascript image change was in one of the mods on here, I think if you download the full mod version from the mods section you will have it included. I did a quick search just now but didnt see it.

In The Spotlight - I just chnaged the wording directly in the usertop.html file that I had.

The alternating featureds listings - again I did not modify anything, just used the mod that was part of the full mod version of OR., or it may have been a later one that has listings and info. They should be fairly easy to find in the mods section.

timeforsmilin
04-27-2005, 06:25 PM
I am in Vancouver, Gibsons would be nice though. The javascript image change was in one of the mods on here, I think if you download the full mod version from the mods section you will have it included. I did a quick search just now but didnt see it.

In The Spotlight - I just chnaged the wording directly in the usertop.html file that I had.

The alternating featureds listings - again I did not modify anything, just used the mod that was part of the full mod version of OR., or it may have been a later one that has listings and info. They should be fairly easy to find in the mods section.

Thanks Stew .... I'm trying to modify 2.0, which doesn't use the same files. Hopefully one day that will be incorporated. The featured listings seem to alternate now by having more selected than shown, but that listing view is very cool.

Cheers,
Louis

stewincanada
04-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks Stew .... I'm trying to modify 2.0, which doesn't use the same files. Hopefully one day that will be incorporated. The featured listings seem to alternate now by having more selected than shown, but that listing view is very cool.

Cheers,
Louis
Thanks I haven't had a go at 2.0 yet. I figured I would get my site up and running and then work on a conversion to 2.0 in background a time permits.

cheers
Stew