PDA

View Full Version : New For Sale By Owner Site

jntcomputers
05-24-2005, 12:44 PM
I am geting ready to launch a new FSBO site for the Mississippi area and would like to get some feedback. Mainly to see if everything works as it should and comments are welcome.

www.mississippiforsalebyowner.net

Thanks,
Judson Cooper

siestaguy
05-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I like it. The images on the listingview page that correspond to Add to Favorites, Printer-Friendly, etc... are a nice touch. Seems a tad bit slow, but then again maybe it's a development/testing box.

photon
05-24-2005, 10:32 PM
Site looks pretty good.

I agree with comment about it being a bit slow...but it doesn't look like it'll be hosted there (midnightcomics), so once you move to a production server, I'm sure it'll be fine.

One glaring error that I hope gets fixed is the image for your "Feature Your home for just $5 month" image. It is 76KB...which may account for most of the slow speed.

Other images are also a little big in terms of bandwidth in my opinion as well. For images you upload via open-realty, try adjusting your compression settings a bit for better results. For images you ftp (and have full control over), I'd tweak them in photoshop using the "save for web" tool.

Now for the layout (I'm referring to the main page):

Left column: seems kind of grey and bleak. I'd either add some color to the newsletter signup, or I'd make the "Help is Here" in color, or both. Other than that, I like the clean layout of that column.

Middle column: the text "Mississippi for sale by owner" seems kind of sqooshed next to the banner ad. I'd either make two rows and dedicate one of them just for the title and the other for the banner ad, or I'd reduce the banner ad size and give some padding or margin to the text and the banner ad so they're not so close together.

Back the the "Feature your home for just $5" area: there's alot of dead white space under the image. Personally, I'd move the image to the right and "float" it so that the text can wrap under it. I guess that's just a personal preference.

I love the rest of the middle column, but the information gets kind of lost way down there...if the "Feature your home for just $5" area was smaller and shorter, we'd be able to naturally navigate down below to the rest of your info (which by the way is layed out very nicely and professionally).

Right Column: Looks great, except for the search box. I want the city search field to line up with the min max fields. (I'm a nitpicker). Save with the submit button. You did a good job with the member login aligning everything...do the save for the search box.

Oh...almost forgot the top! The links "Home | Register | Search Listings etc" need to be bigger. You've got plenty of room horizontally, so might as well make them more visible (and the "Mississippi" off the right can be bigger too). I'm not crazy about the grey color in the background, but again, that's a personal preference.

The footer looks tight and clean...except for the legal link which is barely visible (dark blue on black just doesn't work well). I'd make a custom "a" and "a:hover" style for links against dark backgrounds like this one.

Browse Listings:

Everything looks great, but I hate the manilla yellow background! Great layout though. I'd center the "There are currently X listings that match your search criteria." along with the page number. Your "No Photo Available" image is way too big 44KB. Cut it down to less than 4KB if you can.

The listings themselves look great...except that they don't expand to 100% (at least not in firefox). There's a huge blank white spot to the right of the listings in the content area that doesn't do the listing much good. I'd have it expand to 100% to prevent as much line-wrapping as possible in the top_left and top_right listing details area. All the tool links look great with those custom icons...except the printer friendly one...it seems kind of blurry compared to the others. Mortgate calc looks great.

I hope that gives you enough to go on for now! Sorry for being so nitpicky. ;)

pbflash
05-25-2005, 12:29 AM
The site looks nice but the first thing I noticed was the missing {license_tag} which is required for all OR 2.X templates. So you're either running 2.0 without the required tag, you made special arrangemnts to remove the tag (which I doubt based on the first line of your source), or you posted this in the wrong section (1.15 or 2.X).

jntcomputers
05-29-2005, 03:34 AM
The site looks nice but the first thing I noticed was the missing {license_tag} which is required for all OR 2.X templates. So you're either running 2.0 without the required tag, you made special arrangemnts to remove the tag (which I doubt based on the first line of your source), or you posted this in the wrong section (1.15 or 2.X).

Yeah, I didn't realize the forum layout had changed. Sorry. Can it be moved???

Photon, thanks for the feedback. I will go through your critiques and reply:

One glaring error that I hope gets fixed is the image for your "Feature Your home for just $5 month" image. It is 76KB...which may account for most of the slow speed. Thanks for pointing that out. That image is actually pulled from the original image and not the thumb, so I will have to change that! On my to-do list!

Left column: seems kind of grey and bleak. I'd either add some color to the newsletter signup, or I'd make the "Help is Here" in color, or both. Other than that, I like the clean layout of that column. I know. Just can't decide on what colors to go with. The image in Help is Here was grey to begin with (or atleast I think it was, I will have to check)

the text "Mississippi for sale by owner" seems kind of sqooshed next to the banner ad. I'd either make two rows and dedicate one of them just for the title and the other for the banner ad, or I'd reduce the banner ad size and give some padding or margin to the text and the banner ad so they're not so close together. I did this for seo, but I think it does need to be above the banner

"Feature your home for just $5" area: there's alot of dead white space under the image. Personally, I'd move the image to the right and "float" it so that the text can wrap under it. I guess that's just a personal preference. Yeah, gotta figure this one out. Since the image size will change.

Looks great, except for the search box. I want the city search field to line up with the min max fields. (I'm a nitpicker). Save with the submit button. You did a good job with the member login aligning everything...do the save for the search box. I know, I know. This is something that erks me too! I tried to resolve this issue, but the layout is part of the style.php, or other parts generated by OR and I haven't had time to dig int it just yet!

Oh...almost forgot the top! The links "Home | Register | Search Listings etc" need to be bigger. You've got plenty of room horizontally, so might as well make them more visible (and the "Mississippi" off the right can be bigger too). I'm not crazy about the grey color in the background, but again, that's a personal preference. I used the smaller text because I didn't know how many links there were going to be. But I agree... another to-do for my list!!!

The footer looks tight and clean...except for the legal link which is barely visible (dark blue on black just doesn't work well). I'd make a custom "a" and "a:hover" style for links against dark backgrounds like this one. On my to-do!

Everything looks great, but I hate the manilla yellow background! Great layout though. I'd center the "There are currently X listings that match your search criteria." along with the page number. Your "No Photo Available" image is way too big 44KB. Cut it down to less than 4KB if you can. The Currently listing thing is another OR generated thing that I haven't had a chance to correct, but I agree. I think things to be organized and neat.... I am not crazy about the yellow bg. I was thinking earlier... like 5 mins ago, that it needed to be different, just not sure what!

The listings themselves look great...except that they don't expand to 100% (at least not in firefox). There's a huge blank white spot to the right of the listings in the content area that doesn't do the listing much good. I'd have it expand to 100% to prevent as much line-wrapping as possible in the top_left and top_right listing details area. All the tool links look great with those custom icons...except the printer friendly one...it seems kind of blurry compared to the others. Mortgate calc looks great. Will expand the table, although in IE the white space is not huge. i haven't gotten around to testing in other browsers yet. That icon is blurry because I had to enlarge a smaller image to make it the size it needed to be.

Thanks for the feedback. Most of it I had already said "I need to fix that", but had to keep all my efforts in making the site function first, then going back and making it pretty. The site is now live at www.mississippiforsaebyowner.net. I have been working all day at getting it to work on the new server. I will start on getting the site spit-shined tomorrow, it is 2:30 AM and I need some sleep!!!

cmeesoon
06-10-2005, 08:14 AM
I would like to know how or what you used to do your resources links page that allows them to submit a link/biz and then shows how many times they were viewed etc...is that just modified code from the other preexisting pages and/or hacks that were carried over from the past version of OR? or is a third party script that you are using? please elaborate on this further because I would love to be able to do the same thing for my site....

also....if you would share on how you were able to pull the title, city, state into the title bar for every listing...........thanks in advance :D

and btw I love your site and think it has by far the best "over-all" features and layout that I have seen from anyone ...including from the old OR section!

jntcomputers
06-11-2005, 07:07 PM
This site is actually OR 1.15... Placed in the wrong spot!!!

I would like to know how or what you used to do your resources links page that allows them to submit a link/biz and then shows how many times they were viewed etc...is that just modified code from the other preexisting pages and/or hacks that were carried over from the past version of OR? or is a third party script that you are using? please elaborate on this further because I would love to be able to do the same thing for my site....

also....if you would share on how you were able to pull the title, city, state into the title bar for every listing...........thanks in advance :D

and btw I love your site and think it has by far the best "over-all" features and layout that I have seen from anyone ...including from the old OR section!

This is a third party program I have manupulated to do what I want. If you email at judson@jntcomputers.com I will gather the files and instructions for you! However, When I changed the script, it stopped the info from being added to the db, but I am one step away from that, which is fairly simple.

I have actually started working with OR 2, and am having trouble getting used to it. I have posted questions throughout this site, but no replies :(

cmeesoon
06-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Thank you so much for clarifying this for me because I too am having struggles with manipulating the new 2.0 to do the same as 1.5 .....I had the same problems when "vbulletin" forums went to the 3.0 version. I was feeling like a complete moron when I first looked at your site and it already had so many of the features that I'm struggling to work into my 2.0 ....anyway I still love your site and all the features you have :D

......if the offer still stands ...I will take you up on your "more than considerate" offer on those files later in the month!

Thanks again!

jntcomputers
06-12-2005, 08:50 AM
Okay. If you are not too far into your dev. You may want to build your live site in 1.15, then build a dev site in 2.0 while the other is running. That is what I am doing!

xofari
06-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Great work and good luck! One typo I noticed (but these things bug me):

"there" in the second paragraph under "The Mississippi For Sale By Owner Quarterly" on the main page,

"Visit our website regularly as we update our visitors on the progression of the only publication geared to help Mississippians sell there own homes!"

should read "their", as it is a possessive modifier.

jntcomputers
06-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Thanks, I have fixed it. This is why I posted the site here, because when you are doing the work, you sometimes overlook these things!!!

RealEstate
02-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey,

Your site kicks AZZZ! Good job man.

flukie
02-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Excellent, best integration of open realty and design I've seen. A little bit slow but I've seen worse. Hopefully you can carry your understanding of open realty forward to version2. Well done.

ian_ok
02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
I know this post started way back, but the site is A1, well done.

Like the next and back for the images, is this a mod or other?

On my 1.1.5b I've used custom meta titles/descriptions for each listing...maybe an idea for you?

Ian

RealEstate
02-08-2006, 06:36 PM
The next back featured is now a standard option that comes along with 2.1.5

You can have the thumbs or the next back. You select which to use in your admin config panel.

What meta tag mod or addon are you using? What's the name/link to it and how much do you think it helps with the search engines?

pbflash
02-08-2006, 07:58 PM
The meta tag option has been added to 2.2 and is configurable from the site config.

RealEstate
02-10-2006, 01:21 AM
PB,

You know when 2.2 is being released?

ian_ok
02-10-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm sure jntcomputers said he was using 1.5 for this site, hence my question about the next/back on the images. Or he may have updated it by now.....??

jacktar
02-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Cracking effort. I just completed my first install of OR and didn't think that type of stuff was possible. I'd really appreciate some guidance; my plan is the same - single listing fee. I was going to charge for a sale too but don't think that can be too easy to administer.

Any site design pointers you can offer would be appreciated - I really stink at web design :(

Jnsweb
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
Wow, very nice site. Good use of OR. I like all the features you were able to use. Makes me want to start my own FSBO site!