PDA

View Full Version : Common question on Integration

hmag
06-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi all,
I have searched the forums & there seem to be a number of conflicting posts on Integration, so I'll phrase my question as best as I can.

We have just been asked by a client to move their site from another host. The original site utilises an ASP setup, but we can extract the HTML of the tables etc....

We are going to use OR 2.04 & wish to grab the existing site & use the OR engine to drive it, utilising the buttons etc... on the original site.

Could someone please explain the easiest way to handle this - From what I understand, I can simply insert the HTML into main.html in the template directory & we should be set, but if possible, could someone please post a sort of 'step by step' method for me - any assistance greatly appreciated.

hmag
06-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Hi again,
Just wondering if anyone could make any comment on my last post - I am guessing it's fairly basic, but just want to make sure before going ahead with too much modification. Thanks for any assistance.

timeforsmilin
06-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi again,
Just wondering if anyone could make any comment on my last post - I am guessing it's fairly basic, but just want to make sure before going ahead with too much modification. Thanks for any assistance.

1. Get OR to look and function how you would like.
2. Go to admin>page editor>create new
3. Paste existing code into new pages
4. Use page {page_link_4} etc to access pages

You'll have to work on your display settings, but that should insert the code fast and easy!

Mick
06-26-2005, 12:34 PM
basically you want to use your existing site's html layout and modify that into an OR2 template. You can use the existing template "Vertical_menu" as a guide on how the templates are put together or search the forums and also read the wiki manual (Link in my signature).

hmag
06-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Hi again,
Thanks for those replies. Basically, after fiddling around (see another of my threads), I found that editing main.html in the template directory gave me the correct look & feel, however, there are a couple of minor issues such as rollover carry-through that I am working to fix. It appears that I will have to include the rollover scripts within the individual pages to keep the rollovers working properly within each pages. As it's an existing site that the client wishes to retain, doesn't use CSS, it's a little difficult to work with rollovers.

timeforsmilin
06-26-2005, 11:19 PM
In the long run it'll be worth the time to convert those pages to css.

hmag
06-27-2005, 05:54 AM
In the long run it'll be worth the time to convert those pages to css.

Hi again,
Indeed, I agree & as soon as I have the thing running in it's existing form, I will be pushing them to go for CSS.

hmag
06-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi again,
A slight offshoot of my original question here.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just have the link to {content} in the main.html file & then have the image rollovers, table etc... in each of the sub pages?

Also, is there a way to set up a custom search page to allow searching of all property types. The only was I saw to do search mods was in the edit page section.

timeforsmilin
07-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi again,
A slight offshoot of my original question here.

Is there any reason why I couldn't just have the link to {content} in the main.html file & then have the image rollovers, table etc... in each of the sub pages?

Also, is there a way to set up a custom search page to allow searching of all property types. The only was I saw to do search mods was in the edit page section.

Take a look at my search listings .... I don't know if that's what you mean.

hmag
07-01-2005, 02:47 AM
Take a look at my search listings .... I don't know if that's what you mean.
Hi again,
That's getting close. The company I'm setting this up for lists only commercial property & businesses for sale. Could you outline how you got that format set up please.

timeforsmilin
07-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Hi again,
That's getting close. The company I'm setting this up for lists only commercial property & businesses for sale. Could you outline how you got that format set up please.

That's the standard search listings page, but through admin>listing template editor>search fields (I think), I set up the fields that I wanted to show. It does work as well, when you edit the field that you want to allow for searching, and check the box to allow searching. When you edit the type field, make sure you set the types for what your client needs. Then organize your search page.

hmag
07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi again,
Thanks for the reply. I had fiddled with the search settings. Are you saying that you created an entirely new page in the onboard HTML editor, or what?

I don't quite understand how you managed to get that page using a standard URL like that, or are you using 'search engined friendly' URLs?

hmag
07-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Hi again,
Okay, I have created a search page - I will be able to set which fields need to be displayed without issue. The one question I have prior to being able to set the site up live is:

In my search fields, the client requires a 'search all listings' button to be the default radio button on which types need to be searched. I know this can be done by not selecting an fields & clicking submit, but what do I need to set to 'search all' with the radio button?

Thanks again for any assistance.

timeforsmilin
07-27-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure about the radio button function, but I believe you can choose the type of display in the search template setup. Yes, I am using friendly urls.

hmag
07-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi again,
Thanks for the reply. I'm still working on this - I have been able to achieve a lot of what the client needed, but a few oddities left to tidy up.

earla12
10-29-2005, 12:11 AM
Hey TimeforSmilin,

I'm converting a page over to OR 2.08. On the main (front page) I need a search form setup...thus far I haven't been able to get one working..

Any idea how to go about that?

Earl

hmag
10-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Hey TimeforSmilin,

I'm converting a page over to OR 2.08. On the main (front page) I need a search form setup...thus far I haven't been able to get one working..

Any idea how to go about that?

Earl
Hi again,
My suggestion would be to load up the default search page & view the page source from there to get the idea of how to create you own. This is how I managed to get mine working. Once I was able to view the source, I didn't have any problems at all modifying to suit the site I was putting together.

Hope that helps.

earla12
10-29-2005, 11:46 AM
I managed to get the form up...but it's showing no data in the pulldown fields. I've even included the common file, but it appears that there isn't a database connection.

This is the URL:
http://www.turnkeycomplete.com/realty/

Any suggestions?

Earl

hmag
10-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I managed to get the form up...but it's showing no data in the pulldown fields. I've even included the common file, but it appears that there isn't a database connection.

This is the URL:

Any suggestions?

Earl
Hi again,
I tried to access your site, but it's giving PHP errors at the moment, so I can't be much help. Prior to you creating a customised search form, does the stock standard one work okay? If not, then you have some sort of form submission error in the page.

The Form action should be something like this on your site:

<form method="get" action="index.php">

That should give you a start.

Don't forget, until you have any listings set up, you will see no data in the pulldowns.

earla12
10-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi,

I just finished the taking care of the PHP errors....you should be able to see the site now at:

Yes, when I use the "vertical-template" and click on the hyperlink to the search, it works fine

Here's what I've done....

Copied the code exactly, including the "form action" statement from the "vertical" template,
pasted html code into cell that I wanted search in..

I added an additional entry for test data...

Earl

Update.......

I took the URL of the search listing page from the vertical templace....coded a hyperlink into the new page...
would only reload the "main.html" file again.

It seems there is something missing with the new template, but I can't quite figure it out.

hmag
10-30-2005, 05:02 AM
Hi,

I just finished the taking care of the PHP errors....you should be able to see the site now at:

Yes, when I use the "vertical-template" and click on the hyperlink to the search, it works fine

Here's what I've done....

Copied the code exactly, including the "form action" statement from the "vertical" template,
pasted html code into cell that I wanted search in..

I added an additional entry for test data...

Earl

Update.......

I took the URL of the search listing page from the vertical templace....coded a hyperlink into the new page...
would only reload the "main.html" file again.

It seems there is something missing with the new template, but I can't quite figure it out.

Hi again,
Did you try inserting the original code 'as is', & trying it without making any changes? The site I modified is running 2.0.4, so perhaps something has changed since then.

I'm also guessing that you have the relevant search results page etc... in the directory?

earla12
10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
What I've noticed is this...

When using the original template and typing in
"index.php?action=searchpage it will bring up the search page

When doing that with the template I'm working with, it reloads the index.php page

There's just something messed up somewhere, but figuring out where is the trouble.

Earl

hmag
10-30-2005, 04:49 PM
What I've noticed is this...

When using the original template and typing in
"index.php?action=searchpage it will bring up the search page

When doing that with the template I'm working with, it reloads the index.php page

There's just something messed up somewhere, but figuring out where is the trouble.

Earl
Hi again,
No, what I mean is - have you grabbed the exact source code from the original page & pasted it into your own to see if it works as is, before making any mods. That is really the only way to test it.

I started off when modifying my client's site by grabbing a complete copy of the original template, then making mods to that copy - that way I was able to go back to the last step when I broke something.

Have a look at http://centralcoastbusinessbrokers.com.au to see what I mean. Look in the Buy or Sell & Commercial sections for the search pages & view the source from there.

earla12
10-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Just tried copying and pasting the exact source code from a working template...it flashes to a blank white page, then back to the index.php

Going to cut down code in the template to bare minimums and go from there to test the results.

---- Update -----

I took the source (html code) from the listing search page of a working template, removed everything in the main.html of the new template and pasted the code...the result when searched is a flash, then back to the main.html (index.php) file.

I don't understand how that's possible. Nothing was changed.

Okay...I started all over

Uninstalled OR 2.08B, reinstalled it, left search fields the way they were, copied HTML code from the Search Listings page and pasted it into my template....

No results...stays at the same page

hmag
10-31-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi again,
Hmmm... Okay, I would suggest making a complete copy of the Vertical-Template directory, renaming it & modifying the pages from the start from there, testing each along the way - is it possible that some script or other that you are using is causing the problem?

earla12
10-31-2005, 08:44 AM
This new version of OR v2.08b is certainly different. Here's what I had to do..

I used the Delta template, one original, the other for my modified version..

#1 - Opened up the OR editor and loaded the Welcome page, deleted entire page of code, pasted code from the center of my page (content, including a snippet of form code from the quick-search modified). Search now works

Only bad thing with the OR editor is you have to make "all" changes at once....a change at a time doesn't work...lol

I want to thank everyone who has offered advice, I'm off to modify the main template then finish up the conversion.

Only one question left though. The clients database is a v1.15...is there a simple way of converting this to the 2.08b version?

Earl

pbflash
10-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Only one question left though. The clients database is a v1.15...is there a simple way of converting this to the 2.08b version?
Use the upgrade option when you install 2.08 and enter the db info for your 1.15 installation.

earla12
10-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Many thanks for the advice...I appreciate it...hope things go well with the addition of mods that are on the site.

Thanks Again,

Earl

earla12
11-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Okay, the template conversion went well, the data conversion went somewhat well....all the records are there, but only 1 photo is showing up for each record.

In addition in the browse all listings, descriptions aren't showing up and there is a "," next to each picture.

http://www.premierehometownrealty.com

Any assistance will be appreciated

Earl

pbflash
11-01-2005, 02:10 AM
You need to go to edit listing template and mark the fields that you want to display on browse. For the template you are using the following fields need to be marked yes on display on search results and the number next to the field is the setting for the field order.

Address 2
City 1
State 4
Zip 3
Beds 6
Baths 7
Price 5
Full Description 1
Square Feet 10

I'm not sure about the images problem. Would need to look at the db to see what happened in during the upgrade.

Also, the template looks good in IE but not in Firefox.

earla12
11-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the display...you would think by default that the items you mentioned would be marked.

The pictures problem is cured along with the display...now on to tweaking stylesheets and colors.

Earl

hmag
11-01-2005, 04:33 PM
This new version of OR v2.08b is certainly different. Here's what I had to do..

>snip

I want to thank everyone who has offered advice, I'm off to modify the main template then finish up the conversion.

Earl
Hi again,
Glad to have been able to help even a little, good to see you got it working.