PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts

RealtyOne
07-24-2003, 06:06 PM
So we have the release 1.1 and after the initial rush of minor bugs (fixed) the forum has become rather quiet.
Here is a time to reflect on the project so far and maybe a chance for a small amount of thought towards the future.
Without straying too much from the topic
what do you think of the new implemetations used between 1.07 and the new 1.1 versions.?
What could be better with those ideas?
What could be added to improve the project in your eyes?

Mick
07-25-2003, 12:51 AM
You are right... the forum has become pretty quiet in the last week.
I only came along at 1.1 Beta 11 so I honestly can't give much input in comparing it to 1.07 but I can say, it looks like the entire community has put in a lot of hard work on this so far with suggestions to Ryan. And great thanks to Ryan for making this what it is so far!

Keep the suggestions, bugs coming guys! I'd hate to think of Ryan having nothing to do on this project! On that note, also don't forget all the hard work he's done so far and keep the "Atta Boys!" and praise coming (I'm sure he wouldn't mind a donation or two as well from those who can afford it)

As far as improving the project I made a mod for the only real improvement I saw neccessary in this so far, and your calculators addon filled the other need I was looking for.

I was thinking that maybe changing the forums around a bit might help a bit. Organizing the forums into categories similar to phpbb.com's forums. This might help organize things a little better and spark some more conversation on the forums, generate more suggestions and possibly some development of templates and mods.

Have a categories(bold) and forums (not bold) like this:
News/Announcements
News

Open-Realty Discussion:
Help
Bug Reports
Features and Requests

Mods & Templates
Mod Discussion (Currently "cool Uses")
Template Discussion (New category)
Show Off

Other
2.0 Discussion
General Discussion

As always, just suggestions.. I'm totally happy with everything the way it is.. This rocks just fine how it is!

~MicK~

marb
07-25-2003, 03:39 AM
I'm satisfied about the new version.

I like to see some extension for user accounts.
It should be nice if there is a possibility to make different user accounts with different settings, like this;
account 1 user can have 5 images
account 2 user can have 10 images
account 3 user can have 15 of more images, perhaps email (hivemail addon)

marten :)

footprint
07-29-2003, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure if this was on 1.07 or not but I'm experiencing long/slow loading listingsearch.php if I have 'Allow searching' and 'Two pulldown for min/max ++' enable for the 'price' field.

I've got the same problem when I had this 'mod' (toma's ?) installed on OR 3.x

-A

RealtyOne
07-29-2003, 06:33 PM
On my home development site i open most reasonable searchs including 3 x seperate feature search's, state, town, price, zip, structure, type, roof, walls this does not apear to slow it down alot.
I sugest you check the type of search you are allowing.
Be careful with the use of min/max searchs best used for price only as this is a slower search method as is written on the form editor.
Try differnet search pattens etc and you will find that it will speed up noticeably.

the_sandking
07-30-2003, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure if this was on 1.07 or not but I'm experiencing long/slow loading listingsearch.php if I have 'Allow searching' and 'Two pulldown for min/max ++' enable for the 'price' field.

I've got the same problem when I had this 'mod' (toma's ?) installed on OR 3.x

-A

Yes, the min/max pulldown search is VERY slow. This is an unfortunate side-effect of the "flexibility" of the Form editor. Placing all the data from the fields in form editor into a "memo" column makes searches and queries very convoluted.. and... slow if there's a *lot* of different data (like prices)

Perhaps a new DB schema is in order... :shock:

footprint
07-30-2003, 02:48 PM
RealtyOne,

Have you tried this version http://www.awddesign.co.uk/awd_cars/openrealty_christina_2-17-03.zip ? (credit to christina for the work and awd to put up for download)

With that version, min/max is not a problem at all.

-A

greengiant
08-04-2003, 08:01 AM
THe min max issue comes from us using the listing editor and allowing it to build a min max based on the actual prices stored in the database. Set teh step ammount higher and it will speed things up as well. I will take a better look at the min max over the next week and see if i can tweek the speed

footprint
08-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Thanks, Ryan.

I hope you read this thread too http://www.open-realty.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=774 :)

I don't think it's a good idea to make queries when a user is not ready to search. If the database is big, and maybe a dozen of people hit the site at the same time, the site would be jammed.

greengiant
08-08-2003, 07:41 AM
Building thoose two boxes really shouldnt be that big of a problem for the server. If you want to do some testing for me, IM or Email me and i will send you some changes to make, to see if we can speed it up. Ideal who ever is testing, should be doing this on a large datbase what is slow to build the search page.

footprint
08-08-2003, 11:57 AM
I don't have a big database yet. But I'm willing to test it out.
I'll email you shortly after this.

greengiant
08-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Speed Issues with building the min max serach boxes have been fixed. Upgrade to 1.1.2

footprint
08-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the fix, Ryan.