PDA

View Full Version : Import MLS IDX format

Denver Dave
12-20-2002, 02:31 PM
My understanding is that Multiple Listing Services (MLS) are making their data available in Internet Data Exchange (IDX) format - what ever that is. Clients will get tired of inputing basically the same information into the MLS system as they enter into Open-Realty. Also, at some point, MLS systems could make a public version available and impact our services.

Being able to import information from the MLS system using an IDX export or other means to Open-Realty would seem to be a great service for us to offer and may head off other approaches that do not require data entry.

Anyone else have any information or interest in importing MLS data?

greengiant
12-21-2002, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Here is what i understand about IDX. The National Association of Realtors said that by Jan 1 2002 all MLS services must provide their participants the ability to display other participants listings on a website, using IDX. IDX from my understanding is just a generic term, there is no IDX file format. Participants to the MLS must be given the option to opt out of being listed, and those who opt out can not be allowed to display other agents listings. Every MLS service providers seems to have come up with a different way of providing the IDX data, whether they are providing a db dump or just allowing Realtors to display a IDX page on there public server in a framed page from the Realtors' website. Making Open-realty talk to all the different MLS systems is from what i can see next to impossible with a standard format. Here are some links below on IDX, if anyone has more information to offer on this, please do.

http://www.reasi.com/idx/POLICY.htm
http://www.crt.realtors.org/documents/IDX_Implementation_Case_Studies_Rev1.pdf
http://www.msrealtors.org/frd/pdf/IDX.pdf

Denver Dave
12-21-2002, 07:07 PM
Thank you for the links and information. I generally, the thinking seems to be to use IDX to display listings from other brokers and indeed that could be a powerful feature.

However, we were coming at this from the other side. The ability to import IDX format, might allow us to eliminate double work to input very similar information into MLS and then again into OpenRealty. As long as the double work issue exists, I think we have exposure to MLS systems offering a service to display public information based on MLS number.

Of course the potential also exists to have Open-Realty feed MLS, but we were not sure how to do that with the MLS data files on the office PC's.

Good to have others to discuss ideas. 8)
Dave

Anonymous
12-21-2002, 11:17 PM
I am having the same issue. My clients have to fill out a 5 page application for each home listed in MLS, then they have to enter into their website. Double work. They also want to be able to have viewers search for homes other than their personal listings, so they may become the home buyers buying agent.

I am curious to know if we can request MLS info somehow to be imported in.

greengiant
12-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Hi,

What MLS Systems are being used? I think most of this is going to be system specific, not that it can't be done, just more work. Maybe if we can figure out hte most widely used systems we can stat talking to the vendors about a data transfer utility, etc..

Denver Dave
12-23-2002, 03:57 PM
Somehow my initial inquiries here, at other web sites and with a local MLS (not Denver) has been missing the target that I'm looking for. I still don't have a clue as to what type of file format to expect. Doesn't someone have a sample file specification for a IDX file implimentation? Are these going to be flat file csv files or a version of XML output?

At this point the local MLS is not willing to release file specifications, files or any documentation even in beta mode, yet they say thay are looking for a January implimentation. I'm looking to stay competitive against other local hotshots.

The MLS did say that they will not split out individual broker files and will require that the entire database be downloaded at least every 7 days. Information will contain pictures.... interesting.

Anybody seen any file specs or test files? :shock: :shock: (deer in the headlights)

greengiant
12-23-2002, 04:03 PM
Dave,

My under standing, from what i have read, and i would love someone to prove me wrong on this, is that there is no IDX file Format. IDX is just a generic term made up by the NAR, to define the concept of being able to display listings from a MLS system on a agency website. My usnderstanding is that this can be provided in any number of ways, wehter the MLS just provides a page that you can display framed on your own webiste, that contains listings, or they can provide the data in some other format, like a mysql dump of CSV file. Anyways that is my understand of IDX.

Anonymous
01-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Perhaps I can shed some light on this issue. I found Open Realty while researching IDX as I’m right in the middle of an implementation. IDX is not a format; it simply stands for internet data exchange. Our MLS provider (RISCO) is providing the data as several tab delineated text files and several image files. All of the files are compressed and available only via FTP. It is horrible! They are providing no assistance in implementing an IDX solution. Right now I have a bid request on Rent-A-Coder for a solution. The searchable front end is not the problem, I could muddle my way through that, it is the data handling that is proving to be a problem. The data must be downloaded, decompressed, formatted into a database and be updated to the working database, all automatically. If I did not know better (and I don’t) I’d say that RISCO has purposely made it as difficult as possible within the limits of the law.
As I said I found Open Realty and thought that it might be a working solution for the interim if I manually inserted the data. Unfortunately I can’t get it to work. I just get line after line of “Notice: Use of undefined constant version - assumed 'version' in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\open-realty\include\common.php on line 15”. It then continues with every line in every *.php file. I’m on a Windows machine with IIS and I believe that it is a permissions problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil Adkins

(philadkins@sti.net)

Denver Dave
01-11-2003, 06:18 PM
I don't know anything about IIS, but we may really have an undefined constant or variable "version". You might try defining it as "unknown". and see if this helps.

In know on my windows PC running apache that I had lots of trouble with undefined variables until I changed the error reporting level in the php.ini file in the windows directory.

Hope this helps.
Dave

Anonymous
01-13-2003, 11:42 PM
I have over 40 websites currently running MLS IDX Interface. The interface is a split frame. Top Frame can be a banner or any html page. For the bottom frame I used and called for a jump.pl script that asks for the IDX Realtor ID from marketlinx. That query has to be sent from the server IP that was registered with MLS when the realtor sent in their information packet. That is MLS's way of security. So you dont have a free aol website and call in your MLS listings. I charge $300 to install IDX. Flat File websites can use iframing to interface their IDX Listings.

Anonymous
01-14-2003, 11:35 PM
I have over 40 websites currently running MLS IDX Interface. The interface is a split frame. Top Frame can be a banner or any html page. For the bottom frame I used and called for a jump.pl script that asks for the IDX Realtor ID from marketlinx. That query has to be sent from the server IP that was registered with MLS when the realtor sent in their information packet. That is MLS's way of security. So you dont have a free aol website and call in your MLS listings. I charge $300 to install IDX. Flat File websites can use iframing to interface their IDX Listings.

Hello,
Thank You for this insight. Would you be able to elaborate on the actual mechanics of the IDX process or maybe provide clarity to understanding how "IDX is installed". Is that a licensed application or a service or both?
Thank You

Denver Dave
01-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Arrrgggg..... the clients MLS said data would be available in December, then January, now March and now they are not willing to provide any information on the strategy for making data available or types of file formats..... No they are not willing to let me talk to their programer (actually sounds like a MLS software vendor) or advance my information by allowing us to participate in a beta program.

Obvious that providing the information is being prescribed by the national board of realtors and is not something that they want to do.

Anyone else having better luck?

Anonymous
01-27-2003, 12:47 AM
As I wrote in an earlier post, my MLS is providing the data in the form of tab delineated text files. However I have just recently found out that, that was only one option, they could have also installed a RETS server (see www.rets.org) which would have made IDX as easy as pie. Unfortunately the person in charge of our board office knows nothing about computer technology and went with the suggestion of the MLS software vender. The vender would like to sell the brokers their service which is served by a RETS server.

Anonymous
02-02-2003, 06:08 AM
I'm a REALTOR and web developer for real estate agents / brokers and the IDX situation is a mess. Some MLS providers have it "together" and others are "out to lunch". From what I have gathered, most will grant the FTP data dump that you will have to figure out what to do with after you dump it. My local MLS will talk to you a little but the MLS in the next town would not even let my customer give me their phone number to talk with them about the FTP file dump. I hope NAR (National Association of REALTORS) will get a grip on this and make some kind of standard for web developers but it doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon. I could e-mail someone some info from our local board if someone wants it.

Denver Dave
02-02-2003, 02:03 PM
For my clients area, I don't think the issue is so much the MLS, but the software vendor behind the MLS software. I can understand how they are not anxious to turn over data to some firms that they view as their competition.

MLS or Software Vendor ... I would be difficult to be less cooperative... no interest in Beta help, no clues as to even the approach that is being considered. Opportunity...

Anonymous
05-06-2003, 11:47 AM
My client was frustrated with having to make two website updates...like many on this forum. I inquired about IDX and the MLS provider seems to be with it....and will give me IDX downloads.

I would like suggestions on how I can implement it. They are using the following sql sctructure:

IDX SQL Data View Classes & Fields

Residential

Id, bath_level, bath3_4,_level baths, baths3_4, bd1_size, bd2_size, bd3_size, bd4_size, bedrooms, book, color, den_size, dr_size, elem_school, flood_zone, found_size, fr_size, frontage, glaag, glaaga, glaagb, high_school, kt_size, lav_level, lavs, list_price, lister_agent_name, lister_office_name, lot, lot_size_acres, lr_size, map, midl_school, nof_cars, ot_size, page, parking, remark1, rooms, school_district, seasonal, status, surveyed, tax_years, taxes, town, water_body, water_frontage year_built, mls_zone, mod_date_time, p_mod_date_time, features, medium_photo

Condo

Id, bath_level, bath3_4_level, baths, baths3_4, bd1_size, bd2_size, bd3_size, bedrooms, book, building_no, color, den_size, dr_size, elem_school, flood_zone, floor_no, found_size, fr_size, glaag, glaaga, glaagb, high_school, kt_size, lav_level, lavs, list_price, lister_agent_name, lister_office_name, lot, lot_size_acres, lr_size, map, midl_school, nof_cars, ot_size, page, parking, remark1, rooms, school_district, seasonal, status, stg_size, subdivision, tax_years, taxes, town , unit_no, water_body, water_frontage, year_built, mls_zone, mod_date_time, p_mod_date_time, features, medium_photo

MultiFamily

Id, annual_expenses, baths_unit, bdrs_unit, book, color, deposit_u1, deposit_u2, deposit_u3, deposit_u4, elec_unit, elem_school, flood_zone, floor_loc_unit, found_size, frig_unit, frontage, glaag, glaaga, glaagb, gross_income, heat_expense, heat_unit, high_school, hot_water_unit, ins_expense, laundry_unit, list_price, lister_agent_name, lister_office_name, lot, lot_size_acres, lr_agreement_unit, maint_expense, management_expense, map, midl_school, misc_expense, near, nof_1br, nof_2br, nof_3br, nof_cars, nof_units, page, parking, range_unit, remark1, rent_date, changed_u1, rent_date_changed_u2, rent_date_changed_u3, rent_date_changed_u4, rent_due_u1, rent_due_u2, rent_due_u3, rent_due_u4, rent_u1, rent_u2, rent_u3, rent_u4, rooms_unit, school_district, seasonal, sewer_unit, show_u1, show_u2, show_u3, show_u4, snow_expense, sold_date, status, style_u1, style_u2, style_u3, style_u4, surveyed, tax_years, taxes,tenant_phone_u1, tenant_phone_u2, tenant_phone_u3, tenant_phone_u4, tenant_u1, tenant_u2, tenant_u3, tenant_u4, town, trash_expense, utilities_expense, water_body, water_frontage, water_unit, ws_expense, year_built, mls_zone, mod_date_time, p_mod_date_time, features, medium_photo

Land

Id, assess_yr, block, book, deed_type, easement, elem_school, flood_zone, frontage, high_school, list_price, lister_agent_name, lister_office_name, lot, lot_size, lot_size_acres, map, midl_school, near, open_space page, permit_no, pole_no, power_co, remark1, school_district, status, street_name, street_no, subdivision, surveyed_by, tax_rate, tax_reduction, tax_years, taxes, town, water_body, water_frontage, wf_owned, wf_shared , mls_zone, mod_date_time, p_mod_date_time, features, medium_photo
Commercial

Id, air_cond, available_sf, block, book, building_size, c_type, cable, cam, ceiling_height, class5, class7, cogs, deed_type, door_height, exclusion1, frontage, goi, insurance_exp, lease_amnt_per, lease_price, list_price, lister_agent_name, lister_office_name, lot, lot_size, lot_size_acres, map, max_flc, mgmt_res, near, nof_docks, nof_drive_doors, nof_floors, nof_parkings, nof_units, noi, office_sf, other_sf, page, phone_service, price_type, rail_serv,remark1, retail_sf, signage, status, street_name, street_no, taxes, town, traffic_cnt, vac, warehse, sf, year_built, mls_zone, mod_date_time, p_mod_date_time, features, medium_photo

Mobile Home

Id, assess_yr, assessment, bath_level, bath3_4, level, baths, baths3_4, bedrooms, book, color, elem_school, flood_zone, found_size, frontage, glaag, glaaga, glaagb, high_school, lav_level, lavs, list_price, lister_agent_name, lister_office_name, lot, lot_size, lot_size_acres, map, mb_fee, mb_make, mb_model, mb_park, mb_serial, mb_xfee, midl_school, nof_cars, page, parking, remark1, rooms, school_district, seasonal, status, surveyed, tax_years, taxes, town, water_body, water_frontage, year_built, mls_zone, mod_date_time, p_mod_date_time, features, medium_photo

Any help you can offer me would be very appreciated.....thanks!

Anonymous
05-10-2003, 02:12 AM
I spoke with an IDX company that was happy to provide a html page that could go inside a frameset for a reasonable fee. This sounded almost doable until I ran their code through a code checker. We were looking at 200+ html errors/page. Everytime we have designed a web site with frames, we have had complaints about the frames. Thus, I don't believe the IDX pre-made frames are the answer we need. It would be so cool to be able to use the MLS databases with Open Realty. If anyone has made progress on this, please let me know? Thanks for a great forum.

Anonymous
07-14-2003, 03:38 PM
We have an ftp link where you can download the files. The files are gz'ed text files and the photos are in tar files also.

Here are some of the file names:
Features.txt.gz - 7kb
listings-commercial.txt.gz - 2kb
listings-land.txt.gz - 5kb
listings-multi-family.txt.gz - 1kb
listings-residential.txt.gz - 20kb
organizations.txt.gz - 2kb
pics-commercial-20030702.tar - 33kb
pics-land-20030702.tar - 32kb
pics-residential-20030709.tar - 400kb
users.txt.gz - 7kb

There are a few more. The is one named pics-residential-old.tar that is about 17.5 megabytes.

The text files are tab delimited files.

I hope this helps. I know someone who might have created a plugin for Open Realty that does this but it's kind of spendy.

broadway
07-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know an update here.

www.crt.realtors.org

They are the people that have been sanctioned by the NAR to facilitate and find current technologies.

I have been in communication with them in regards to developing a national system using open-realty as a client base and then a central/symetric type of server enviroment.

If anyone is interested in making waves and trying to get these things moving to help us all let me know.

nysebull
11-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Are you still looking for an IDX import application? I have written some and could do one for you if you are interested.

Mike Bower

(mike@mikebower.com)

Anonymous
11-16-2003, 01:16 AM
I also have an IDX solution. It downloads the compressed files via FTP. Unpacks them. Writes them to a database and creates thumbnails on the fly. It is written in PHP, uses the “Smarty Template Engine” and should be very easy to adapt for use with Open-Realty. You may see an example at http://www.shellyadkins.com in the “listings” area. If anyone is interested in using it contact me and we can work something out.

Thanks,
Phil Adkins

phalseid
11-24-2003, 02:32 PM
anyone seen http://www.retsinfo.com?
also, check out http://www.realtor.org/realtororg.nsf/pages/vowhome
coming july 1st.

open realty's days as a solution for agents might be numbered once the
MLS's catch up.

:roll:

the_sandking
11-24-2003, 06:04 PM
anyone seen http://www.retsinfo.com?
also, check out http://www.realtor.org/realtororg.nsf/pages/vowhome
coming july 1st.

open realty's days as a solution for agents might be numbered once the
MLS's catch up.

:roll:

Yup, the NAR and the local MLS's will eventually be "selling" the website (VOW) software directly to it's end user/Agents or Agent dues will increase a little and they'll get it for free in an ASP model... Nothing surprising about that at all, it's one of the reasons the IDX format is not truly standardized. If it was standardized, many independent companies would have already beaten the NAR to the punch about 2 years ago, cutting them out of a piece of the action.. They don't just want a piece though...

Another perfect example of how you can slow the development of progress via regulation that is only designed to protect the Regulatory agency itself.

Anonymous
11-26-2003, 02:41 AM
After listening to a VOW presentation by a NAR rep., I see IDX being phased out. VOW is all about controlling the data. The rep. said that “data security” is going to be the main topic for NAR this year. He even implied that NAR may require the VOW operator to “tract the data”. They are bound and determined that no one will get to see/use the data without paying for it. The funny part was he started out the presentation telling us how tech savvy our customers are now. How they want everything to be freely accessible and immediate. Than he spends the next three hours explaining how VOW will prevent that by forcing the visitors to fill out forms, digitally sign agreements and get a password. Oh and lets not forget, only being allowed to see “x” number of listings per login.

Anonymous
01-15-2004, 12:17 AM
WHen you are working with the mls ask them for the data that they sent to realtor.com. The data that is sent to realtor.com is in teh same flormat.

Anonymous
01-15-2004, 12:19 AM
Denver Dave,

If you are working this the mls in dever (metrolist.com) have your broker see it they will sign a waiver to get you the data. I was able to get the data. The mls charges me each month for the data.

Anonymous
02-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Here is what we get in central NY.
http://searchlink.syr.interealty.com/PropSearch/PropertySearch.asp?AgentID=EMMILO

We have to link to this page from our Open-Realty site.

Anonymous
02-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Denver Dave,

If you are working this the mls in dever (metrolist.com) have your broker see it they will sign a waiver to get you the data. I was able to get the data. The mls charges me each month for the data.

I am a realtor webmaster in colorado, what format did these guys give you the data in? And how did you import it into open-realty??

Thanks,

Brian Carpio

(koolman@visi0n.net)

Anonymous
03-02-2004, 02:00 PM
I have been building low tech realty web sites in my area for seveal years now (framed solution), I would like to upgrade my clients sites to a system that pulls data on its own, "rets database" that then is viewed though openrealty/custom pages. I am looking for anyone who has achieved this in there local system (our board uses the rappatoni system) which is considered a leader in rets formating of data. I have strong real estate contacts in this area and have been building sites for some heavy hitters - however, with compainies like FNIS competing in the real estate web design market, many of us will be looking for new cleints soon. The small guy needs an (IDX to openrealy solution) to survive before all our clients are paying thru the nose for sub par service and ugly websites - because the big guys have the data and we dont.

the_sandking
03-02-2004, 04:59 PM
I have been building low tech realty web sites in my area for seveal years now (framed solution), I would like to upgrade my clients sites to a system that pulls data on its own, "rets database" that then is viewed though openrealty/custom pages. I am looking for anyone who has achieved this in there local system (our board uses the rappatoni system) which is considered a leader in rets formating of data. I have strong real estate contacts in this area and have been building sites for some heavy hitters - however, with compainies like FNIS competing in the real estate web design market, many of us will be looking for new cleints soon. The small guy needs an (IDX to openrealy solution) to survive before all our clients are paying thru the nose for sub par service and ugly websites - because the big guys have the data and we dont.

RETS = Nothing yet, maybe next year.
IDX = Available, and it works great with FNIS IDX systems.

PM me for details.