PDA

View Full Version : FSBO Site for New York

RichardM
01-17-2006, 01:30 AM
Well, I'm just about ready to open

www.empirefsbo.com

to live listings. I'll be giving away listings at first to get enough properties in the database to establish some critical mass, and also because I want to test the site under working load. I put this together in about a week, part-time, burning the midnight oil, so I may have left out a semicolon or something somewhere.

I made a lot of small changes to the basic OR scripts, but nothing major. Mainly changed all references to "agents" to "sellers," disabled the pictures of the "agents" (which I think is more appropriate for a FSBO site), tweaked the code so that sellers' last names don't display, and other little things like that.

OR is a great project. Shows you what open-source can achieve.

vammirato
01-26-2006, 02:13 PM
How do you plan to charge for listing once you stop the freebies?

RichardM
01-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Present plan is:

2 months: $49.95, 6 months: $99.95, 12 months: $149.95

v-tours: extra $100, $199, and $300, respectively.

If it's too high, I'll lower it. If it's too low, I'll raise it.

I also have another offering in conjunction with a talented young Flash programmer who contacted me:

http://www.empirefsbo.com/index.php?action=page_display&PageID=13

These seem like a great value to me. I feel pretty good selling them at $250.00. The kid does very nice work, and I think customers are getting a good value at that price.

(If a seller buys the Flash Walkthrough as an add-on to a basic listing, I'll host it and link it from their listing for free.)

vammirato
01-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Are yo going to use the pay pal add-on by pbflash?

I have been working on a similar virtual tour with the floor plan worked in. You can see an example (my first attempt) at http://charlotterealtyservices.com/VTwillowOak3461/vt.htm

I didn't add animation yet, just wanted to be sure the calls to pviewer would work.

V

RichardM
01-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Your applet worked fine for me. Looks nice, too. I like the idea of image-mapping it with the floor plan. The only thing I would add woud be a button to stop the panning so visitors can zoom into a particular point of interest.

I think I will use pbflash's PayPal add-on eventually. I've made more modifications than I originally planned on, so I want to make sure everything is "finished" first. So for now, I'm just using PayPal buttons. (Also, the confirmation email goes to different people based upon the service purchased, so we want to get that all settled.)

I'm not much of a PHP programmer nor a graphic designer (I'm actually a hardware geek by training), so I tend to test things very throughly after every change I make. (Often, I'm more surprised than anyone else when my changed actually work, LOL.)

RealEstate
02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Your site is really nice. Did you integrate the paypal addon yet?

I disagree with the statement you make about:
"The Problem with Virtual Tours"

Doing the walk-through is easier work, but not as complete a 360 tour.

A 360 allows you to make the connection such as, "ok, here's the kitchen and next to it is the dining with the arched window..etc".

A still walk-through won't do that.

My opinion.

RichardM
02-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Eh. I suppose they both have their advantages. I personally find the Virtual Tours dizzying. Can't stand the things. But I guess I'll offer whatever people want.

Personally, I think the walkthroughs give me a better feel for a house. But then again, I'm one of these guys who always aced spatial relations tests; so I guess I find it easier than some to convert a 2-dimensional floor plan to a 3-dimensional picture.

I haven't done the PayPal integration yet. It's on my to-do list....

dantanner
02-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Nice site. BTW I havent purchased a copy yet from pbflash but I certainly plan to do so. I've been considering all my options on these and what I see of pbflashes solution is pretty nice.

I considered ORCommerce after testing the trial from Jared's Designs but he said after talking with him that he has a new shoping cart system in development now that is totally different than ORCommerce and is capable of working with many different types of solutions. He would not elaborate what the details are but it looks promising.

Any idea if there are other solutions like these?

RichardM
02-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks; and no, I'm not too familiar with the various solutions yet.

The main problem is that I'm a full-time computer tehnician/consultant, so from time to time (like these past few days) I'm unable to devote much attention to the Web work.

If only there were a way to add more hours to the day...