PDA

View Full Version : Slow and/or no results using search

AXN
02-28-2006, 10:20 PM
The best is to see live example:

Just go to:
http://realestate.ticovista.com/
then: Search Listings at: http://realestate.ticovista.com/listingsearch.php
then select: farm, active and ocean view (you get 13 results on 2 pages)
that alone is slow, plus if you click on the second page you get (I get)
"Your search returned no results"

Something is wrong and I need fix. Willing to pay (via PP).

Changed servers (that didn't fix the problem).
My OR has been working perfect for long time.

TIA

pbflash
02-28-2006, 11:01 PM
When I use the search options you mentioned, it only shows 10 results on 1 page. If I use other options, the multiple pages does work.

While the site is a little slow, it is not that bad for 1.15 with over 1600 listings.

AXN
03-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Yes, you are right - strange, but ...

Please try again:
search for: home,pool

I get - 112 listings and took 1,5 minutes (90 sec) to come up with results.
Once I click on "NextPage" after 12 seconds I get my famous quote:
"Your search returned no results"

TIA

AXN
03-01-2006, 12:34 AM
One more observation. It looks like the problem is with: Home & Community Features
As soon I include one field I get my famous quote (the search has to show more then one page results to get error)

TIA

pbflash
03-01-2006, 12:42 AM
That is defintiely slow and I get the same results you describe when hitting page 2. The query string is not getting sent right for the additional pages.

Did you check with your host to see if they made any recent changes to the server?

I just finished updating a 1.15 site to 2.2 that had similar problems. With 1100+ listings, searches were taking up to 30 seconds. After the upgrade, anywhere from .75 to 2.5 seconds. It would be a little faster but the template includes 2 featured listings views, a search form, and a script that requires data from an outside source. Without the 'extras' searches usually took under 1 second.

AXN
03-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Yeah, I am almost sure it's my hosting/server people. I have been with
them for years, but getting fed up. They have great habit to make upgrades then everything stops working or crawls.
They just moved me from one server to another, but you can see the
result. Doesn't work.
It's obvious it's do to recent upgrades

If I can just find another hosting/reseller I'll be gone.
Longest new host can:
Move all my sites, make sure they all work, don't go belly up in next 10 years, have a proven track record, keep it clean & fast, have a good support (just in case), show me what they do about SPAM email prevention,blocking, filtering on the server site.
Did I miss some :) Nice Cpanel maybe;) and good reseller rate.

I am good study client who always pays his bill on time and haven't changed server last 6 years, plus staying in 1% of my hosting quotas.

Any takers?

TIA

the_sandking
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Look at the banner in the top right of these forums. Purchasing their hosting is what helps keep Open-Realty FREE.

AXN
03-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Contacted Ryan. Will see what happens.
Personally I would like to work with him and using his service.
At least I know that money are well spent.:)

AXN
03-02-2006, 06:38 PM
In the mean time I got this from my server tech people.
What do you make out of it?

Nothing has changed on the server. No software, no modules, no paths. The only thing I see in the mysql process output when your query runs is a lot of writing to temp tables and then deletion of items written to those temp tables. This also happens when the next page is selected. If your queries run in this manner all the time, with constant writing/deletion, then they are going to take longer to display. Additionally, if your database tables or queries are not optimized, queries will also take longer.

There are a grand total of 23 accounts on this machine, the majority of which are yours. There are zero load issues. There only thing in the mySQL process output are either your active queries, when run, or your sleeping processes. I would suggest taking a look at the queries and/or the table optmization to determine where the problem might lie.

| 78743 | vista_axn | localhost | vista_realestate | Query | 2 | Copying to tmp table | select count(t2.field_name) as cnt, t1.id as id from temp t1 left join listingsDBElements t2 on t1.i |
| 78743 | vista_axn | localhost | vista_realestate | Query | 0 | updating | delete from temp where id = 118
| 78743 | vista_axn | localhost | vista_realestate | Query | 0 | updating | delete from temp where id = 227
| 78743 | vista_axn | localhost | vista_realestate | Query | 0 | updating | delete from temp where id = 297 |
etc.
Clicking next page:
| 78861 | vista_axn | localhost | vista_realestate | Query | 3 | updating | DELETE FROM temp WHERE (ID <> '19') AND (ID <> '11') AND (ID <> '12') AND (ID <> '15') AND (ID <> '1 |
etc.

Point is, I still get the same error if I use search and include any Home or Community Features.

Any suggestions?
TIA

pbflash
03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Unfortunately, that was the way the original OR was written. Create a temp table and then delete everything from the table that didn't meet the search parameters. Then display the results.

The search engine in 2.X has been totally rewritten.

AXN
03-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Ok.
It was working till now..

What's the problem?
What's the solution?

TIA

pbflash
03-02-2006, 08:05 PM
The problem is the old OR coding.

The solution is to upgrade to the newest version but that would take a lot of work.

AXN
03-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, no problem I will agree with you. ;)

Now, can you or someone explain to me why it was running for years and sudently I get that error ( just last month). Did I reached magic number of listings 1601 :)

TIA