Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone stole my design

Angry Someone stole my design

I am working on a website at the moment (http://www.theolivepress.es/property) and while viewing our stats we noticed links from http://www.britishhomeloansflorida.c...erty/index.php. This is obviously a complete rip off of our site!

Has anyone else had this happen to them or can suggest what can be done to stop him using the design? I will be contacting the guy but thought i would post on here first to see what people think.

Dan

Default Re: Someone stole my design

Being a Web Site Developer I have seen and know a few Designers that use base templates as their basic design and sometimes they use them for more than 1 client with only slight differences when they are modified/customized for each client. That isn't really that uncommon for some Designers to do. I personally don't consider them Designers at that point. The fact that the other site isn't 100% identical such as using identical colors, images etc. it falls into a gray area. Personally both sites look like a stock base template was used to start with but then again that is just my opinion.
    If your site design was truly Designed just for you and a base template was not used, a signed statement from the Designer would help.
    The other question is who really owns the design. You, the Designer or where it was purchased. A good example would be Template Monster. They sell templates 2 ways: non exclusive (other people can buy the same design) and exclusive (the template is removed from their listings and not sold to other people). But there are 100's of template sites that only sell non exclusive base designs.

I would consider that site being in your stats very unusual since both sites are not showing the same Designer. What links are in your stats showing that site?
    Do the links point to content or files associated with the design?
    You can block their site from hot linking if that is what they are doing and it will cripple part of their site depending on what they are linking to.

A simple email to them stating their site has shown up linking to your site and upon investigating why your site was linking to mine I see you are using my sites design. Include a few lines of the log that shows the linking.
    If they copied your site, they will probably pull it down rather quickly. If they also hired a Designer they will be questioning him or her about it.

Unfortunately this happens allot and a good thing to remember is that anything you put on the net is open to being copied if they are determined to do so.
    Consider yourself lucky that you found links to the other site.

DataCom

Thanks for the reply DataCom,

I don't think i made it clear, i am the designer! I didn't purchase the template, i spent many hours designing it, but thanks for the compliment .

I am guessing that the reason they showed up in the stats is that they had not changed all the internal links from the template so when they clicked on them they linked directly to our site.

The other question is who really owns the design. You, the Designer or where it was purchased. A good example would be Template Monster. They sell templates 2 ways: non exclusive (other people can buy the same design) and exclusive (the template is removed from their listings and not sold to other people). But there are 100's of template sites that only sell non exclusive base designs.
    In my opinion i would say that either me or the company i did the design for (I also work for them anyway) own the design.

The fact that the other site isn't 100% identical such as using identical colors, images etc. it falls into a gray area.
    Can you really get away with just changing the green to blue? Also they are using my country houses, villas, etc. images with our green border and text.

A simple email to them stating their site has shown up linking to your site and upon investigating why your site was linking to mine I see you are using my sites design. Include a few lines of the log that shows the linking.
    If they copied your site, they will probably pull it down rather quickly. If they also hired a Designer they will be questioning him or her about it.

Unfortunately this happens allot and a good thing to remember is that anything you put on the net is open to being copied if they are determined to do so.
    Consider yourself lucky that you found links to the other site.
    Good advice, i'll do that.

I'm also interested in knowing if someone in this forum knows the guy who did this. The site is not finished and has not been submitted to any search engines and only has links to it from this and another forum.

Thanks

Dan

Sorry, I didn't know you designed Your site and my usage of the terminology stock base template wasn't meant to demean or devalue the site design.
    I appologize if that is how it came accross.
    Had I known this was your design I would have viewed and expressed what is going on much differently.
    I definetly agree it is a copy of your site based on what you have said.

I am guessing that the reason they showed up in the stats is that they had not changed all the internal links from the template so when they clicked on them they linked directly to our site.
    Ditto and common on copied sites!

Can you really get away with just changing the green to blue? Also they are using my country houses, villas, etc. images with our green border and text.
    I only looked at the first page of the other site. Image color changes are common on base templates. But since this is not a base template that is not the case here and is just another verification it is a copy of your site.

DataCom

I've had this happen several times. If you threaten them with legal action, they will typically take it down. You could take it as a compliment, but I would definitely not let them rip your design off. Sometimes I would make them pay a template charge!

The site displays it was designed by leeweaver.com... Could do a whois search to get someone phone number and email!

They have changed there web design looking at the thumbnail in whois.sc.

You could use the htaccess to block any requests from that website or even better change your image file name on your website and then for the one they will download for their website you can do an image with something something like THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN STOLEN FROM ...... or DON'T TRUST THIS WEBSITE.... but that's me getting mad!

Ian

OR EVEN BETTER you can visit his FORUM which you can post without registering!!!!!! And even edit other GUEST comments!!!!

LOOK at this!
    http://www.leeweaver.com/forum/viewt...hp?p=4546#4546

I've had this happen several times. If you threaten them with legal action, they will typically take it down. You could take it as a compliment, but I would definitely not let them rip your design off. Sometimes I would make them pay a template charge!
    I've decided to let the legal department at the newspaper i work for deal with this, I'm sure a simple legal threat will deal with this, thanks.

OR EVEN BETTER you can visit his FORUM which you can post without registering!!!!!! And even edit other GUEST comments!!!!
    Excellent! Thanks for that. Also it's good to see another British expat living in Andalucia on this forum.

Sorry, I didn't know you designed Your site and my usage of the terminology stock base template wasn't meant to demean or devalue the site design.
    I appologize if that is how it came accross.
    Had I known this was your design I would have viewed and expressed what is going on much differently.
    I definetly agree it is a copy of your site based on what you have said.
    No problem! I presumed you didn't know and just wanted to make everyone understand the facts. It's my fault for not making it obvious from my first post.

Thanks for all your replies and i will keep you posted on what happens.

Dan

There's a probability that the person is also a forum member. Afterall, you don't get to that level of OR modification without hanging here.
    RealEstate

I too have had it happen several times. I always threaten with a law suit and they take it down. I noticed on the bottom of http://www.britishhomeloansflorida.c...erty/index.php. it says website design by http://www.malicatech.com. Another question would be.... does britishhomeloansflorida.com even know that they are using a stolen site?

Afterall, you don't get to that level of OR modification without hanging here.
    What level of modification? There's nothing special there besides the stolen template. Everything else is basic OR stuff.
    it says website design by http://www.malicatech.com.
    Interesting. This morning it said designed by www.leeweaver.com.