Thread: split classes into 3 check boxes

Default split classes into 3 check boxes

Hello all.

vertical

I am getting way out of my depth here and am not even sure if what I want to do can be done. my site has a very simple concept and at the moment uses very little of the huge array of OR capabilities.

I have 40 classes that consist of regions, type of accomodation and type of activity. They are all in one long select menu for agents to add their preferences and one long check box list for people to search.

Is it possible to split the classes into 3 sections and reflect this in the search check boxes as well.

You can see what i mean by clicking on search at my website which can be found in my profile

I will gladly pay the going rate for this and donate a percentage to OR as well.

Clive
    Last edited by natural; 12-01-2006 at 02:17 PM. Reason: adding web site info

Default Re: split classes into 3 check boxes

Maybe a little to late but why did you organize the site this way?
    You wouldn't have this problem if you would have used OR the "normal" way.
    Why did you make all this 40 options classes??
    What you now want needs core modification.

You should think of re-organizing your listings in a more common way like:

Classes = regions
    features1 = type of accomodation
    features2 = type of activity

that would do what you want.

One way to do this, could be done by changing search.inc.php...

Add a div to this line:
    Code:
    $class_checkbox .= '<input name="pclass[]" value="' . $class_id . '" type="checkbox" id="class' . $x . '" onClick="SearchClassUnCheckALL()" />' . $class_name . '<br />';
    like this:
    Code:
    $class_checkbox .= '<div class="pclass_searching"><input name="pclass[]" value="' . $class_id . '" type="checkbox" id="class' . $x . '" onClick="SearchClassUnCheckALL()" />' . $class_name . '<br /></div>';
    then in your style sheet add something like:
    Code:
    .pclass_searching {float:left; width:30%; }
    then in your search_class_default.html file, change
    Code:
    {property_class_checkboxes}
    <br />
    to
    Code:
    {property_class_checkboxes}
    <br style="clear:both;" />

Hello

Thanks for the responses.

I posted in the work forum in order to find someone who can help me because I know i have made mistakes and need help. Just having an idea and goal is not enough.

I am not looking for free advice or constructive critisism. If I was i would have posted in the relevant forums.

Sorry to sound a bit hard but I am looking for someone who has the neccesary abilities to help me develop a web site.

Clive

Give me an email at judson (at) jntcomputers(dot)com

*Moderated. Link violates forum usage rules

Quote Originally Posted by natural View Post
    Hello all.

vertical

I am getting way out of my depth here and am not even sure if what I want to do can be done. my site has a very simple concept and at the moment uses very little of the huge array of OR capabilities.

I have 40 classes that consist of regions, type of accomodation and type of activity. They are all in one long select menu for agents to add their preferences and one long check box list for people to search.

Is it possible to split the classes into 3 sections and reflect this in the search check boxes as well.

You can see what i mean by clicking on search at my website which can be found in my profile

I will gladly pay the going rate for this and donate a percentage to OR as well.

Clive
    Hi Clive,

This could be done. Unfortunately this involves a bit of tweaking with the original core files. The downside to that is any tweaks may not be compatible with future releases of OR. In other words, before installing a new release you would have to reinsert the modified code to ensure continued functionality.

That would not involve same amount of coding as original changes, but it would probably take about 3-4 hours to test for bugs once re applying any new version.

If you still need the above mentioned work done, I would build a customized search page for you. We'd have to discuss its interface at more length of course. I would charge you $500 for that.

You can find out about my and my company at www.akulink.com. I've had about 6 months of hands-on experience with OR at www.homesandloansmag.com. Yes, that ugly mess is mine...

Look forward to hearing from you,

Serge d'Adesky
    tel 386 527 2781
    sdadesky@akulink.com

Hello all

Just wanted to say thankyou to all of you who offered help.

Clive

You should really copy the specific function used from the search.inc.php file into an addon and use the addon in place of the original search in your template, that way you could easily upgrade without having to recode....