Thread: problem replicating installation

Default problem replicating installation

I have replicated my site on a different server (different host and different domain), to do some testing, like upgrade to OR3 / multilingual addon etc.
    Everything is working fine as far as I can tell BUT for some reason my rewrite from example.com to www.example.com does not work any more.
    They seem to be like two different sites, if I try to login into admin from example.com/admin it says my password is incorrect.
    I am using the same rules in the .htaccess file as with the original site and the new host says they have a standard Apache setup.
    Any help / ideas would be appreciated.

update: seems like it has nothing to do with .htaccess, the problem of two different logins remains when I delete it.
    Last edited by jordi; 02-23-2011 at 08:34 AM. Reason: checked without .htaccess

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: problem replicating installation

When you moved your site and re-ran the installer, you needed to access the installer using the exact URL you intend to use.

www.example.com
    vs.
    example.com

If you re-ran the installer using 'example.com', and then access /admin via 'www.example.com', (or vice versa) it is going to make you log in again to force you to use the correct URL.

Otherwise, rewrites are a function of the host's specific server configuration .
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Thank you! I started again with a new database and installed from 'www.example.com'.
    Not 100% sure if this works as it should: If I go into 'maintenance mode' and am logged in as admin I can see the site when I go through 'www', when I access it via 'example.com' it displays the 'maintenace mode' page.
    Is this correct? Then my original problem would indeed be related to the rewrite rules and not to the installation.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

If you are logged in as Admin, you should be able to see the site regardless of whether or not the site is in maintenance mode.

Site restrictions do not apply to the Admin at all.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way