Thread: Is there today a solution for UTF-8?

Question Is there today a solution for UTF-8?

Here is the thing.

I use UMP, but I tried it with regular OR version. The same thing happens.

Trouble is next. I am using Cyrillic.

When I have main.html file in front end and admin converted to UTF-8, the Search Page works fine. But if I ever will go to admin to update the listing after I placed it, it will kill [Full Description] text. The description text will be converted into something different and the same characters will be shown in the front end. It means each time I need to change the listing I need to retype description box. And I cannot just copy what I have in the description box. When I click to add the listing it converts the text into weirdness right away. But the frond end will display it right after it's added. When I will need to update the listings, it will kill [text area] text totaly.

From other hand. If only frontend main.html will be converted into UTF-8, but admin's main.html will stay in Western European ISO, than I can update listing as many times as I want. It will be displayed in the front end fine, but the Search Page will never find any listings. And by the way the text in the description text area in the admin will be turned into weirdness, but somehow it shows right in the front end.

In a first example description text area is useless, in second Search option will not work.

Of course you can mention why don't I change front end main.html to the same Western European ISO, I did but than everything I translated in lang.inc.php will be useless. Western European ISO will destroy Cyrillic.

Guys, what can be done? Regular text boxes and Notes text area don't have this issue. Cyrillic will always stay in there fine.
    I’ve read about htmlentities in several threads, but can somebody help with this?
    Or how to turn Notes text area into visible, I would rather use this text area as a description.

Default Re: Is there today a solution for UTF-8?

I think you can change replace Cyrillic characters in lang.inc.php with html equivalents and then save it in utf8 format, then your translation won't be useless. (I hope) You can do batch replaces, eg: replace all.

I think the last updated wysiwyg editors fixed the problem you mention, but I could be wrong. UTF8 may also require changing 2 lines in mysql.inc.php for utf8, it may help collation issues of data saving with php to mysql. You have to search for that thread, don't remember where it is. Maybe developers already enabled another in-built solution, I am not aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by alyona View Post
    Of course you can mention why don't I change front end main.html to the same Western European ISO, I did but than everything I translated in lang.inc.php will be useless. Western European ISO will destroy Cyrillic.

I am not an expert on this issue... but if I were you...
    Before touching template files I would take a look how the texts are being stored at the Database. I would try to change the collation to UTF-8.
    You did it?

The language files... I would use HTML ENTITIES (by the way, I use it all the time).

Eduardo.

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

What version of OR are you running? The current version uses htmlentities with the charset selected in site config so entries are saved using the proper charset encoding.

I refer to UMP version. And I tried the same thing in OR 2.4.1, the same thing happens. When front end and admin are converted into UTF-8, after lisitng updating, the front end shows wrong symbolics.

I am going to try things in lang.inc.php files, maybe it will be the best solution.

Question. What is the proper method I need to apply to DB to change collation? I want to try that as well.

What do you have for OR's character set setting in site config?

For the db, I think you have to edit each field and change the collation but I'm not sure as I've never had to do it.

Do you run it on a Linux machine? Do you have the access to the shell?
    I had this issue - can be fixed pretty painless. Just keep your DB consistent and don't mix up charsets.

What version of OR are you running? The current version uses htmlentities with the charset selected in site config so entries are saved using the proper charset encoding.
    Hi,
    I new here and browsing the forums I found this topic.
    Since it is a very important issue for me (I'm portuguese) and portuguese language requires UFT-8, I have a couple of questions:
    1 - I would like to know if the latest version of OR allows UFT-8 and if how you set it?

2 - How do I translate the lang files to portuguese, do I use the portuguese characters directly on the lang file or do I have to use html entities?
    2.1 - How do I use the html entities? (i never done it and have no idea what it is and how to use it)

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    Since it is a very important issue for me (I'm portuguese) and portuguese language requires UFT-8, I have a couple of questions:
    Nope... portuguese does not require UTF-8.
    I will be glad to help you - you can write in portuguese to:
    ebmarques arroba gmail ponto com

Eduardo.

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

OK, thanks!
    I'll email you my questions in portuguese