Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to access any admin area...

Default Unable to access any admin area...

I just moved our website to a new host and after trying everything I can think of and even having the mysql settings checked by the host, it still will not allow any access to the admin areas. I'm stumped. This is a very old site and the code is so hacked up that I don't even dare try to upgrade it. I've just basically tried to keep it going over the years. The newer version of OR is awesome, but I'm not skilled nearly enough to get this old site to work with it. Could someone take a look and let me know if there is something I've just overlooked? Here's the main URL and the admin URL that is dead in the water:

http://74.220.215.204/~pwprecom/open-realty/index.php
    http://74.220.215.204/~pwprecom/open...dmin/index.php

Perhaps someone can pick up on the problem from past experiences?

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Unable to access any admin area...

You and/or your host should be checking the server error logs.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

That's where it gets hard to tell what is going on. I asked their techie to check into that and he said all permissions and setups were correct and no errors in the log. So I'm flabbergasted to put it mildly. :( If I had the knowledge to reproduce this site in the new version I'd jump on it. Problem I have is I've only ever really worked with basic html and the occasional php stuff. When I look at v2.4.3 my head swirls.

Well I appreciate the feedback just the same. Thanks again.

The admin url is working fine for me. I can't login but the page shows.

Ugh, sorry. I forgot to mention that it does display, but it doesn't accept a password for the admin and if I try to add a new user it says password can not be left blank even though I am putting one in. I'm willing to bet this is some simple little fix that I'm just too buried in at this point to see. It's frustrating, that much I do know. <sheepish grin>

If you've modified the core files it would be difficult/impossible to help you as we have no idea what you've done. It would be difficult in the first place to help as support for Open-Realty 1.x versions has been closed as, the last release of that branch of the software was over two years ago at this point and despite being one of the developers of the software, I would have a very difficult time working on even a virgin install of 1.x at this point.

If you've made changes to the admin or login code then you should start there with whatever changes you've made, including going back to a virgin file and seeing if that works. Outside of that, if you haven't made changes to those files around the same time things stopped working then check with your host to see if they've made server changes that may have effected the software. You should also check your server error logs and see if there are any errors being reported that may give clue to the problem
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Thanks much. Well I've decided to do an install of the newest version and build it from the ground up. It's so much nicer now. I'm not going to mess with this any further. It'll take me quite a while to get up to speed, but it'll be worth it. In the meantime I'll convince the owner that even though the old setup works on the old server, it's just so messed up (original code has been heavily butchered) from the previous folks years ago that I have trouble just keeping it going.

Thanks for all the help folks. Such a patient group of people. I do appreciate the help immensely.

you should be able to upgrade the old database, provided the database wasn't modified in addition to the file modifications. Make sure you make a backup before attempting any upgrade on the database, I'd suggest making a copy of your database, one to keep with the live 1.x site and the second to test upgrading to 2.x

Once you get the 2.x site up and running, remember to use addons for modifications so future upgrades aren't difficult or a daunting task. ;-)
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Just one last note. As a last resort I tried installing a fresh copy of 1.1.5 and low and behold, it doesn't work either. However, I install a fresh copy of 2.4.3 and it works perfectly. So anyway, it appears it's not specific to the site I'm moving. Just their servers don't like something about the earlier version. :(

Well thanks again for all the help and advice.

I am guessing that the new server has register globals turned off. OR 1.15 requires them to be on.