Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: template question

http://www.ceciliaalexander.com/index.php
    Hey guys I'm working on a new template for a client. How can I change the white area on the main pages behind the grey you see here to another color, I have tried everything in the CSS style sheet but I can not change the color. Also how can I get rid of all that extra space that is right between the header and the main pages? Is it possible? I will be shareing this template after I get it working perfectly, it is really easy to customize, the navigation is CSS.

Thanks
    Deborah

Now not 100% sure without seeing the actual original code for your page, but my guess is that it is just a simple style class call - I note for that table (the grey area - body you have a class call to class="form_main" (line 278) - Simply have a look through your code and note what classes are being called and take a note of what the class represents in your style sheet.

The header looks fine?

Greg

Code:
    <td valign="TOP">
    <!--
    Actual content area starts here. The tables below are for structuring the content area and adding that 'welcome to yoursite.com' image. These tables also keep the content area at a fixed-width.
    -->
    		</td>
    		<td width="100%" valign="top">
    <table bgcolor="#FFFFFF" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse&#58; collapse; border-width&#58; 0; border-color=#111111;" width="650" id="AutoNumber1">
    Try changing #FFFFFF to #ccccccc in the above.

Also the alignment is off when viewing with mozilla. Try eliminating the table widths all together. The width declaration in class navcontainer is enough.

Frank

Oh cool Thanks, that worked, I was looking everywhere but in the user_top.php. That is where that code was. Now I have my background. Now to get rid of that space. The space is being caused by the side menu somehow, but I can't figure out how to fix it, when the menu is not there, the extra space is gone. I'm just not used to working with .php, it's not so straight forward as plain html.

This template is a customization of the standard template that came with the program. I tried not to change too much on it except for the graphics becuase I did not what to mess up the structure of it.
    Deborah

There are two things that can cause the space. One, the width's add up more than the total width which is ok for the sloppy nature of HTML but CSS is much less forgiving. Two the text is overflowing the division boundies and is pushing the next divison down. My guess is that it is the first reason.

Much of OR suffers from this problem which I belive will be corrected in the version 2.0. Ryan has told me that he is redoing ALL the table widths to conform to CSS and Xhtml standards. My suggestion was to eliminate all table widths completely, which I have done in my designs without any problems. Take a look at http://asiteabove.com/realty. Its a complete rewrite of the vertical-menu in CSS. I eliminated all of the table widths.

It is not a fixed width, but if I wanted a fixed width one way I could do it is to put it in a division like this:

in user_top.html

<div style="width: 780px;"> or whatever width I wanted

and close the div at the end of user_bott.html

Frank

Wow your template looks awesome Frank, the code is so clean and simple.
    I will do as you suggested, I really need to clean mine up a lot. It would be nice if there where no tables at all. I'm new to php and have to get used to the structure of how it lays things out, but it sure is fun to play with making templates.
    Deborah

Thanks for the nice remarks.

I looked at your template again. In mozilla browsers the navigation blocks push into the center section. Mozilla browsers add the padding to the width so you have a 10px overlap when viewing with a mozilla browser and probably with Opera. To make it look identical in ie and mozilla try the following code in navcontainer:

Code:
    padding&#58; 0 !important; 
    padding&#58; 5px;
    mozilla will eliminate the padding and ie won't see it and since the text is centered it will be identical in all browsers.

If you haven't already, download Mozilla-Firebird at: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/ so you can see how your templates render in a standards compliant browser.

Regards,
    Frank

Thanks Frank I will do that and download the browser, I hope my computer doesn't explode. :lol: I used to have all the browsers, but haven't loaded them since my last format. To tell you the truth my computer is acting funny and getting worse everday.
    Deborah

Ok let me make sure I understand you correctly
    Where I have

#navcontainer
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0 0 0 5px;

I am replacing with your code, so there will be no margin: 0;
    I don't need that right?

#navcontainer
    padding: 0;
    padding: 5px;

Or do I add it right below the margin: 0; so it will be

#navcontainer
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
    padding: 5px;

do I also replace in the other containers as well
    #navcontainer UL, #navcontainer LI etc...?
    Deborah

Hi Deborah,

Sorry, it is a bit confusing. Keep the margin 0, its the padding that is causing the problem because in mozilla padding is added to the width. Here is the fix:

Code:
    #navcontainer a &#123;
    margin&#58; 0;
    padding&#58; 0 !important;	/* !important is needed, mozilla will use this line and ignore the next one*/
    padding&#58; 5px; 
    /* plus all your other code */
    &#125;
    The only place you are using "padding:5x;" is in "navcontainer a" so that is the only place you need the additional line for mozilla. You also have it in subnav but you are not making any calls to subnav so you can delete the subnav code.

I had a thought that you may need/want padding for the top and bottom. You could use the following lines also:
    Code:
    #navcontainer &#123;
    margin&#58; 0;
    padding&#58; 5px 0 !important;	\*mozilla padding will be 5px top and bottom and 0 left and right *\
    padding&#58; 5x; 	\* ie will be 5px top, bottom, left &amp; right *\
    Now the easy way. Since the link text is centered the easy way to accomplish all the above would be to eliminate the padding: 5px; line altogether and if you need padding on the top and bottom use "padding: 5px 0;" (I didn't think about this till I started writing which goes to show that helping someone else increases our own knowledge)

Code:
    #navcontainer a &#123;
    margin&#58; 0;
    text-align&#58; center;
    padding&#58; 5px 0;	\*padding will be 5px top and bottom and 0 left and right in all browsers *\

&#125;
    BTW since I started use mozilla-firebird and stopped using ie (except for testing my designs) my computers have become much more stable. I think you will like firebird.

Regards,
    Frank