Thread: Forfive me I have sinned - upgrade issue with modded core files

Default Forfive me I have sinned - upgrade issue with modded core files

Hi all. Let my predicament be a lesson for anyone considering tampering with the core files. Sure, at first it's just a tweak here, and an SVN file copied there, that you commit to memory. But after a while it's all changed and you can't remember which bits are holding the site together.

I want to redeem myself! I want all my core files back where they should be, and fully up to date. My question is this:

If I carry out an "update" (re the manual) what exactly "happens". Because if the end result is that the new core files simply get copied over the old ones, I can at least do that "one at a time" manually via FTP and test the site after each file to see if it destroys itself. Is there some special magic going on with a "real upgrade"? - All this given that I am not changing the DB, file paths, install paths or anything else. I just want up to date, stock, core files.

Looking forward to hearing, and let my situation educate any fiddlers out there! Thanks.

Default Re: Forfive me I have sinned - upgrade issue with modded core files

When you upgrade you replace all files with the new files. The upgrade script makes the necessary changes to the db required by the new version.

Replacing 1 file at a time might work for some but not for all as some of the files will not work without the db changes being made.

Default Re: Forgive me I have sinned - upgrade issue with modded core files

Hmmmm, I see. So the only way of knowing I have a really "clean" and up to date version would be to do the "proper" update procedure.

However, on the other hand maybe there hasn't been any need to alter the db files during upgrade since version 1.5 or something. If that were the case then I could do it the safer "one file at a time" way I was thinking about.

Only the developers could tell me that I guess. For the record my original install was version 2.4.1 Has there been database changes since then? If "yes" then I'll have to "upgrade" if no then I can simply copy core files over one at a time.

Any developers out there? Thanks do much...I know its my own fault of course!

Any developers out there?
    I am one of them.

Yes there have been db changes since 2.4.1. There were changes made from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2 and from 2.4.4 to 2.5.

I thought you might be. Oh well. Looks like I've learned the hard way! I just tried renaming my "incude" folder "include_old" and uploading the "new" folder. (Replacing common.php afterwards). It didn't like it :(

I'm not particularly well educated with databases. The thought of tinkering with it fills me with horror (I have 500 properties listed). I think I might have to make the best of my current position.

Any other advice would be appreciated. Other than the obvious

Thanks again.

You could copy the db and files and set them up in another folder or subdomain. Then you can mess around with the copied version so you don't affect your live site.

Good suggestion pbFlash, thanks