Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altering .htaccess for Bilingual SEO URLs

Arrow Altering .htaccess for Bilingual SEO URLs

I know you guys don't recommend using SEO friendly URLs in UMP-OR but I want to leave them on in an effort to work around problems when I come to them. Actually leaving SEO on as it stands now will actually terribly hinder you as when you change to a different language the URL does not change at all. So you will have 2 versions of the same URL (page) being spidered. Not good!

Buuut the fix shouldn't be that tough.

As you know with SEO turned on the listing URL is rewritten to be SEO friendly: listing-thewhitehouse-1.html

Can anyone offer any help altering the .htaccess mod_rewrite rules so that listings in another language pull the URL name properly from that other language's title variable? IE: listing-หกหฟกฟหหหเ้่-1.html

The current rewrite rule looks like this:

Code:
    RewriteRule listing-(.*?)-([0-9]*).html index.php?action=listingview&listingID=$2 [L]
    Original URL looks like:
    Code:
    http://yoursite.com/ump/index.php?action=listingview&listingID=1
    I don't know enough about mod_rewrite to pull another field in there but if this could be done I don't see any reason why UMP-OR cannot use SEO friendly URLs. As it stands I think that is it's biggest weakness.

Thanks for reading

Default Re: Altering .htaccess for Bilingual SEO URLs

Actually after thinking about this a bit more, this is definitely how it should be done for maximum SEO benefits AND it eliminates the duplicate URL issue mentioned above:

yourdomain.com/en/listing-title.php - English
    yourdomain.com/th/listing-หกหฟกฟหหหเ้่.php - Thai

Has anyone ever attempted this? Should be possible to do via re_write rules in .htaccess.

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    I know you guys don't recommend using SEO friendly URLs in UMP-OR...
    Where you read it?
    No... you can use SEO with UMP.
    The listing details page... you will are NOT going to have two versions... once we don't translate the listing title.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Actually after thinking about this a bit more, this is definitely how it should be done for maximum SEO benefits AND it eliminates the duplicate URL issue mentioned above:
    Has anyone ever attempted this? Should be possible to do via re_write rules in .htaccess.
    This is another issue... not related to UMP.
    This has been discussed at the Forum, several times. Make a search...
    It is TWO installations of Open-Realty.

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Thanks for the reply.

Right as I said using UMP-OR as it is violates Google's content rules.

I thought about using 2 separate installs of UMP! This would solve the problem. I actually searched the forum but never found this mentioned. Could you point me to a thread?

Thanks for the reply.
    Right as I said using UMP-OR as it is violates Google's content rules.
    I thought about using 2 separate installs of UMP! This would solve the problem. I actually searched the forum but never found this mentioned. Could you point me to a thread?
    While you say that, I say the opposite - UMP can use SEO friendly URLs - and you can see it in action here: DEAD LINK REMOVED (I will keep it this way, for one or two weeks).

The thread about 2 installs (Open-Realty) is at: http://support.open-realty.org/showthread.php?t=14498
    There is no thread about 2 installs of UMP.

Eduardo
    Last edited by ebmarques; 06-26-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: DEAD LINK REMOVED

Open-Realty® DOCs

Look I know UMP-OR is capable of SEO friendly URLs. What I am saying is that when a user changes languages the URL remains exactly the same. Google will only index 1 URL, and having two versions of the same URL with differen't content is definitely _not_ good for SEO.

Visit any UMP-OR site, go to a listing page and change language. Look at the URL with SEO friendly turned on. It doesn't change. See what I mean?

As I said it should just be a matter if rewriting the URLs properly in .htaccess to solve this issue. The result should be something like this:

Question Re: Altering .htaccess for Bilingual SEO URLs

hi, i am very new to OR and reviewed the script the last today.

the issue that miles explain here is not an unimportant one. search engines need to index each lang seperatly.

did you allready come to a solution and want to share it, miles?

maybe this would be a nice way, too.

http://www.domain.com/listing-title-en-1.html
    http://www.domain.com/listing-title-th-1.html

i tried to modify the links in listing.inc.php and search.inc.php and the rewrite rules, but without any success so far.

anyone there who can help?

Hi guys!

I followed up all the discussion here in the forum and the private mailings between Eduardo and Miles about this SEO topic.

I must say that my site inmoscanarias.com is placed very well in Google for ALL 3 languages.

Searching google for "lanzarote real estate" I find my site #3 for English results
    Searching google for "lanzarote immobilien" I find my site #4 for German results
    Searching google for "lanzarote inmobiliaria" I find my site #9 for Spanish results*

*My Bad, nearly all sites in front of my are OR sites as well, that I made for my clients :(

For sure the system like it is now is not the "non plus ultra" and it could be made even better but I am (and even more important: my clients are!!) very, very happy with the ranking in Google and Yahoo.

My recommendation: start building a nice OR-UMP website!!

yes you are right that google will index your homepage cause this is the only place where the lng=langcode parameter is visible in the url.

if you a re doing a google site search you can see only english listing pages in the results.

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=...le-Suche&meta=

a model like miles and i suggested would solve this problem. but i think it is not an easy task to implement, because the linsting links need to be changed on the entire script.

anyways, anybody have thoughts that might cause a solution?