Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Altering .htaccess for Bilingual SEO URLs

Default Re: Altering .htaccess for Bilingual SEO URLs

Quote Originally Posted by julianps View Post
    Did I say something to upset you?
    Of course not!!!
    I have thank you! And I thank you again!

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by julianps View Post
    When I first joined this friendly forum and was learning the mores I asked Mick what a "core" file was and he confirmed [as I recall] that common.php was not a "core" file for forum-rules purposes.

jiF
    Thanks for that, Julianps. That being the case I will attach a copy of the instructions here for anyone who wants them. If this is not appropriate, then please remove them, Ryan.

My philosophy regarding SEO is the more we do to make it easier for the search engines, the better off we are, which is why I tweaked Eduardo's excellent ump-or to create friendlier URL's. Your comments about server load do concern me, however. I understood that php scripts are loaded as necessary and not kept in memory, so I did not believe running multiple sets of core files would have a huge effect on server performance (what is the difference if I load from /include or /es/include...) I am far from expert with php, though, and you may be right. Maybe one of the php guru's here can chime in and clarify that.

Eduardo: Please, call me Grant!

-Grant
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi, Grant!

That tweak needs a lot of work, huh?
    Do you have a link so we can see it in action?

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs
    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. (Author Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by ebmarques View Post
    That tweak needs a lot of work, huh?
    Do you have a link so we can see it in action?
    What sort of work?

The tweak is working at http://pvrelist.com and http://vallartarealestatelist.com.

Vallartarealestatelist.com is still under development and no translations have been made, but the structure is there. I'm emailing you the login info so you can see what it looks like in the back end. Any feedback is appreciated.

-Grant

So, what possible problems could Grant's solution have? I hope not many.

I see it sure does look very good and I have to decide if to do this on a site I will be starting in about a week. I just need one page per language, no two ways about it.

What do you think about it Eduardo? You are the 'man' that has given us the patch itself, and a very good one too.

by the way Grant, I've sent you an e-mail although I see you have already posted instructions here.

Quote Originally Posted by digitcode View Post
    What do you think about it Eduardo?
    We made some tries and we gave up. Core files need to be edited and we are not going to do it at UMP.
    As posted at the start of this thread, SEF URL's are based on the listing TITLE wich are not translated. With UMP you WILL NOT have URL's translated. So this is final.

As far as I know, an option would be several installations and you would not need to use UMP - you can use O-R by default, as posted by "greengiant" at:
    http://support.open-realty.org/showp...00&postcount=5

Eduardo

Open-Realty® DOCs

Bilingual SEO URLs can be done via .htaccess if multi language variable is on in php.ini file.
    Otherwise code will not work.