Thread: Unable to Connect

Default Unable to Connect

I'm going to lose my mind trying to solve this problem. I've searched the forum and can't seem to resolve my issue.

I can't get past the database step because I get the same "unable to connect" that everyone else is getting. I've checked and rechecked my settings. I've created different blank databases and users and can't get it to work.

The following are my settings. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I know you keep saying the settings have to be correct, and they really, really are. I can log on to the SQL database through my control panel, but I can't through Open Realty. This is my second installation on this site just trying to make it work.

Database Type: mysql

Database Server: localhost

Database Name: bownut_or

Database User: *moderated

Database Password: *moderated

Table Prefix: default_

Base URL: http://www.retvshowcase.com

Base Path: /hsphere/local/home/bownut/retvshowcase.com

Default Re: Unable to Connect

Hi bownut

Will be glad to help
    see my PM

AdSpace

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    I'm going to lose my mind trying to solve this problem. I've searched the forum and can't seem to resolve my issue.

I can't get past the database step because I get the same "unable to connect" that everyone else is getting. I've checked and rechecked my settings. I've created different blank databases and users and can't get it to work.

The following are my settings. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I know you keep saying the settings have to be correct, and they really, really are. I can log on to the SQL database through my control panel, but I can't through Open Realty. This is my second installation on this site just trying to make it work.

Database Server: localhost

Database Name: bownut_or

Database User:

Database Password:

Base URL: http://www.retvshowcase.com

Base Path: /hsphere/local/home/bownut/retvshowcase.com

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

The DB user you are using does not have permission to access the DB you setup for OR assuming that you setup a new DB for OR.

You must grant all permissions to your DB user before running the installer.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I set up a new database to be used for OR. I set up a database user for said database. I gave that user any, every, and all permissions. I've even tried setting up multiple users for one database, and neither user worked.

I've even tried using MySQL and PGSQL databases and users, taking care to make sure I had the correct databse type selected.

Unhappy Re: Unable to Connect

bump ... Can anyone help me? Is this a case where I don't have the right base path or something? Does that field have anything to do with the lack of connection? I can get into my database through my website control panel.

Today I have also tried installing the previous version (2.4.4 I think) and it still didn't work. I also CHMOD the include file to 777 to see if that would help. Still not working.

Red face Mystery solved

I carefully went through the suggestions of each thread front the search with the phrase "unable to connect." After about six or seven threads, I found the answer in this post: http://support.open-realty.org/showt...ble+to+connect

I wanted to make sure I put full documentation here so that others could benefit instead of having to search and search threads where there is no resolution or the resolution is not posted. The was resolved while installing Open Realty 2.4.4. I still have to go back and install the latest version.

My host www.websitesource.com puts the MySQL database on a different server as suggested by Mike in the above thread. So instead of localhost for the databse, the SQL is hosted on something like this: mysql4.websitesource.com I found this information in the list of MySQL databases.

So if you can't get around the unable to connect issue, try finding out if your database is hosted on a different server than your website. In that case, you database information would read more like this:

Database Server: mysql4.websitesource.com (not localhost)

Database Name: user_databasename

Database User: user_user

Database Password: password

Base URL: http://www.yourdomain.com

Base Path: /hsphere/local/home/bownut/yourdomain.com