Thread: Open House (or Openhouse) Calendar

Default Open House (or Openhouse) Calendar

I really wanted an openhouse calendar for my fsbo website:

http://www.fsboCorpus.com

However, I never found a mod available. So, here are the steps I went through to make my openhouse calendar (I sat down on a weekend and pretty much hacked this thing out in two days so it might not be the best way to do things, but it works—that was the goal I had). I hope this helps somebody who was in the same situation as myself. I must warn you that it is not for the faint of heart who have a weak stomach around code. This is a CRAZY hack of a mod and involves making considerable changes to many files. Thanks so much Open-Realty team—you guys rock! Aight, here’s the goods:

I always try to do as little work as possible by starting with a good open-source project. I didn’t want a huge fullpage calendar because that is not scalable. What if 50 people have an openhouse on one day? It would get ugly. So, I wanted a small, interactive calendar that when you click on a day, it spits out a search of all the openhouses on that day.

So, I found “The DHTML/JavaScript Calendar,” an open-source calendar that looked like a good starting place. It is found here:

http://www.dynarch.com/projects/calendar/

I uploaded it to my webserver, configured it (using the instructions/readme material in the original distribution), and then proceeded to heavily modify it.

You might want to go through the steps I did and customize the calendar to match your website design, etc. If you want to start with what I came up with, I have attached the modified javaScript Calendar package I am running on my website:

jscalendar.zip

Next, of course, you need to add some data fields to your listings. For my mod to work, you need to add the date1, start1, and end1 fields and date2, start2, and end2 fields. My mod is not very scalable—i.e. it allows each listing to have exactly two possible openhouse dates. My reasoning was that usually openhouses are a Sat. and Sun. thing every once and a while. So we needed more than one openhouse date, but any more than two would be overkill. Anyway, just use the standard open-realty admin features and add those fields in.

Here is a text file that specifies the changes to the open-realty code that I made to get things working:

openhouse_calendar.zip

Put the folder, caldata (that contains the file addon.inc.php), into your addon folder on your webserver:

caldata.zip

That should be everything. I hope this helps the openrealty community out! Thanks for all of your help!

-Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Open House (or Openhouse) Calendar

Thanks for sharing as I was going to ask you how you did it.

Being that you are running version2.X it should have been posted in that area. People seeing it here will try to apply it to 1.15.

Also, being that you did this as an addon, you could have included your new search result function in the addon file and then point the calendar links to the addon. Then it would not require changes to the OR core files which will be lost when you upgrade.

I'm going to check it all out and if i can write it as a true addon without any changes to the OR core, I'll post it in the addons section.

I'll also mention that this probably will not work with 2.3 or later as the date functions in OR were changed in 2.3 to accomodate proper search results when different date formats are selected. I'll have to look at the calendar code to see if it will accomodate the different date formats in 2.3.

Paul,
    I just tried this on 2.3.2 and you are right it is not working.
    What changes were made to the date format. I'll take a look deeper.

Dates are now stored as a unix timestamps in the db.

ok, it seems he is using a text field for this.

I been working to convert it to an addon to keep from modifying core files.

It seems to work on version 2.3.1 but no 2.3.2 unless I lost track of the updates on the site.

Hello Al,
    I am waiting for this mod to be refined. I hope that you will "make" it work with v 2.32
    Thanks
    Nick

I have posted an Open House calendar in the 2.x forum. It is a straight addon, no core file editing. It is released as 1.0, but it will remain the free addon and be named Open House LT when I release the new version.

I know that you have offered an add-on of open house feature, but the copyright link requirement has giving me a problem. A messy web site with many copyrighted links.

I rather pay for an add-on, or lucky enough to get a free add-on, but I don't like to add any extra copyrighted link anymore on my web site.
    I know your add-on is nice, but...
    Thanks
    Nick

Nick,
    I will be releasing a commercial version soon, so you can remove the link.

Thanks,
    Judson