Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: listing_browse.php TEMP table fix for busy sites. UPDATED!

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: listing_browse.php TEMP table fix for busy sites. UPDATED!

If you read my posts I have stated that the fix only REDUCES the problem, because many site users are impatient the orphaned tables can still be left behind if listing_browse is not allowed to display completely.

1) If you have a CRON job setup to remove the orphaned tables, they will be removed every time your CRON job runs. If your don't use a CRON job you will have to trigger the removal script manually.

2) No, because site visitors can stop or click away from the listing_browse page before it completely displays, which is what causes an orphaned temp table.

V2.X of Open-Realty does not use temp tables and is vastly superior to v1.x it is in your best interests to upgrade, my fix was only supposed to be a temporary solution until people could upgrade to v2.x, and that was well over a year ago.
    Last edited by the_sandking; 01-17-2006 at 11:19 AM.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Am I missing something here? Why can't I use the MySQL 'CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE' function? This creates a TEMPORARY table that is visible only to the current connection, and is dropped automatically when the connection is closed - even if they don't wait for the full page to load I would assume...
    Liberator

Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

What you suggest is certainly an option, however, the 1.x version of OR is no longer in development and is basically unsupported.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Quote Originally Posted by the_sandking View Post
    What you suggest is certainly an option, however, the 1.x version of OR is no longer in development and is basically unsupported.
    Despite the fact that version 1.x is no longer in development there are still plenty of people using it - in particular those who made extensive modifications and haven't had time to port those all across to V2.x yet (like me!).

Anyway for those of you still using V1.x I can confirm that a simple change from CREATE TABLE to CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE solves the problem with orphan tables being left behind. I had an average of around 500 orphan tables each day (mainly created by search engines) - since I made the change I have had none.
    Liberator

Believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.

Thanks for the idea Liberator.

It seems to be working great. I too have remained using the V1.x version since most of the sites I've created were modifed for non-profit animal rescues across the USA started years ago with Jon's original script and updated through the V1.x versions. Since I build and maintain these sites for free for the non-profits (my wife is a vet tech and hasn't met an animal/pet she doesn't love) I don't have the time to update all of them to V2.x