Thread: URL Rewrites

Default URL Rewrites

I have been doing research on how to use URL rewrites. I thought that I had it figured out ... clearly I don't.

I went into the htacess file and added this rewrite:

Rewrite Rule calabash.html index.php?action=page_display&PageID=11 [L]

only it did not change the URL to www.mysite.com/calabash.html

Can any one show me the error of my ways?

Default Re: URL Rewrites

from the way you say it I don't think you understand how the mod rewrite rules work. They won't rewrite index.php?action=page_display&PageID=11 to appear in the browser as calabash.html. It works the other way.... if will rewrite calabash.html into the page display. What that means is that if you type calabash.html into your browser, your webserver will recognize that as the same as typing in index.php?action=page_display&PageID=11.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Well then ... if I add these in the htacess will the rules help with SEO?

its debatable... many say it does, many say it makes no difference...

I would say that in the past with older search engine spiders etc that it made a big difference, today, since spiders don't really care if its a dynamic URL versus a static html page and since some spiders are now even completing and submitting forms that it probably makes little to no difference at all, however like politics, you'll have the arguments for both sides and both sides will think their side is the ONLY right way to do it.

okay I understand ... I am struggling with the URL's because before I added OR to my site my URL's were www.mysite.com/calabash.php (or which ever town it was) and I had good rankings. After I added OR the URL's are the generated ones and I don't rank well at all.

So I thought that the Rewrites would help in getting the rankings back ... but as you point out it does not. Is there anywhere in the files that I can change and/or modifiy to help??

if you had good rankings and then changed the URL's on your site such as would happen during a redesign or switching to a new software then yes your new site won't rank as well initially. None of the URL's from your new site would yet be indexed by the search engines and thus wouldn't be ranked as well as old url's.

You could add some custom rewrites to the htaccess to rewrite old URL's from your site to new ones that you are currently using making them permanent redirects. This would help with people that come across links to your old site as they wouldn't just get a 404 Not Found error, instead they would be redirected to a new corresponding page on your site. Also search engines that were returning to the old page would note the permanent redirect, remove the old URL from their index and replace it with the new one which should help with the ranking. However this should normally be done when you first change the site over. After old pages aren't available for a while search engines will just remove them which means starting over on getting your new site ranked well instead of building on the good ranking you already had.