Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if this is a bug? Can someone check? SQL error with Maximum Field Length

Default Not sure if this is a bug? Can someone check? SQL error with Maximum Field Length

Hi all,

That was tricky! I was getting an error when adding a field to any of my classes:

UPDATE default_en_listingsformelements SET listingsformelements_field_type = 'text', listingsformelements_field_name = 'Test', listingsformelements_rank = '0', listingsformelements_search_rank = '0', listingsformelements_search_result_rank = '0', listingsformelements_required = 'No', listingsformelements_location = '', listingsformelements_display_on_browse = 'No', listingsformelements_search_step = '0', listingsformelements_searchable = '0', listingsformelements_search_type = '', listingsformelements_display_priv = '0', listingsformelements_field_length = '', listingsformelements_tool_tip = '' WHERE listingsformelements_id = 21

When I ran this through in MySQL directly I get:

The following errors were reported:Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'listingsformelements_field_length' at row 1

Very helpful! This revealed that my error is related to leaving the "maximum field length" blank. That's pretty easy to do! Once I put a number in it my error disappears.

Can anyone else replicate this? I am on latest version, new install, no core changes. surely this field should default to "1000" or something. It looks like an "error waiting to happen" out of the box. I'd appreciate some advise, should I add it to the bug tracker...or is it me? :(

the_sandking is offline hadron remnant - Moderation Fachmann

Default Re: Not sure if this is a bug? Can someone check? SQL error with Maximum Field Length

Please do not post OR help stuff in the General Discussion area. There is a General HELP area for that and alsoa bug reporting area for bugs should this prove to be a bug.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"We gotta' go to the crappy town where I'm a hero!"
    -Hoban 'Wash' Washburne 2485-2519

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

New to Open-Realty® and need help? Check the:
    -OR DOCUMENTATION -

Important: Read this at least once in your lifetime
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Default Re: Not sure if this is a bug? Can someone check? SQL error with Maximum Field Length

Wasn't aware I did. What's in that area anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by zarathustra View Post
    Wasn't aware I did. What's in that area anyway?

"General" Discussions, i.e. not necessarily OR specific things.
    "Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-BS communications style that is natural to people who are more concerned about solving problems than making others feel warm and fuzzy."

"When you’re born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you’re born in America, you get a front-row seat.."
    -George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

Intriguing. Anyway, now we're all present and correct, it should be fairly easy for someone to replicate my possible bug. I have solved it as far as I am concerned, I would merely like to replicate it and draw attention to it for the good of the community.

If you want to help improve Open-Realty, you should file a bug report.

-George Carlin 1937-2008

-OR DOCUMENTATION -

This is getting tedious. I am not sure if I have a bug. I guess I shouldn't lack that confidence in my ability, but maybe I did something wrong. Especially since it's such a "simple" bug to trigger.

Filing a bug report for something that might not be a bug, but a user caused problem, won't help anyone, especially the developers. I am asking for someone to simply add a field without putting a figure in the Maximum Field Length box to see if they can trigger the same SQL error.

Once I have confirmation I will gladly file a bug report. Is this so silly an idea? I thought it would save the developers time that's all, and save me looking silly if it's my fault.

Here's an idea Sandking, since you like this thread, why don't you try to replicate it. Please let me know the result. If it's the same I'll file a report, if it's not I'll ask for further advice to help me understand why it is happening.

since both me and Sandking, two of the Open-Realty developers have told you to post it as a bug report it may actually be a good idea to post it so we can remember to address it in the next version.
    Open-Realty 2 Documentation

~The Difference Between an ORDEAL and an ADVENTURE is ATTITUDE~

Fine. I wasn't aware Sandking was one of the developers, no one told me. Since you you are telling me now Mick (for the first time right?), and I am aware you are a developer, I can only assume I have discovered a real bug and will post it in the morning.

You know I was only trying to help. You can see that right? The responses I got only reaffirmed that although extremely helpful and professional (Mick, pblash and particularly Eduardo) have helped me greatly in the past, this is one of the driest and least friendly forums I frequent.

You know instead of being a pedant about "where I posted it" Sandking could have just told me "I'm a developer, I really know this product, and that sounds like a bug... cheers post a bug report". Friendly, easy, efficient. Instead he unhelpfully concentrated on where I'd posted it in error.

In a similar vein, I've mentioned more than once that a simple, friendly FAQ sticky would really help everyone, and instead we get a sticky post lecturing people in bold face about where to post things.

Lighten up, market your product. you've all certainly got the coding chops, but maybe think about the public relations a little.

You could also do alittle research. The developers are listings on the main OR site.

http://open-realty.org/credits.html